Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello Talent - DJI Robomaster TT - DJI Robomaster Extension kit

Dan

Reaction score
We will provide information and videos on the Tello Talent - DJI Robomaster TT - DJI Robomaster Extension kit. as we get an experience level with them.. Our first video "Tello Talent for Christmas and 3D printed parts. It is on Youtube channel MECATX.. Most Sundays, we produce a new video. Between now and Christmas they will detailing these devices. This Sunday, at 2L15 CDT USA, we will be doing and unboxing of the kit. We will try a ZOOM meeting for a small number of live participants I will post the information on Tellopilots Friday and Saturday posts, of the meeting ID and Password as this is a meeting and not a webinar.

Attachments

• .transcipt eddited - youtube a tello talent for Christ,as.pdf
    91.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: akward59
The ZOOM meeting to unbox the Tello Talent of now DJI Robomaster Tello Talent will be Sunday, Dec. 6 at 2:15 PM CDT USA. The ZOOM ID is 318 188 5317, password is 12345. This will be the first in a series to cover this product as we gain experience with it. We will focus on the Talent uses ( STEAM/ARTS ) uses. JOIN US to participate. Watch on youtube to view only.

A ZOOM meeting to unbox the Tello Talent or now DJI Robomaster Tello Talent will be SUNDAY DEC. 6 at 2:15 PM CDT USA. The ZOOM ID is 318 188 5317, password is 12345. This will be the first in a series to cover this product as we gain experience with it. We will focus on the Talent uses ( STEAM/ARTS ) uses. As this new Tello adds a large new dimension to it's uses in education and programming. We need a community involved as all the instructions as in Chinese ( NO ENGLISH ( as it will not be sold in the USA for awhile. Join our website at www.mecatx.ning.com to follow our learning curve on this complicated drone JOIN US to participate., we plan to do a meeting or webinar, the first Sunday of each month. Watch on Youtube to view only.

Just received a few Robomaster TT Tello Talent drones. So far have practiced with the LED, and dot matrix LED using the Tello EDU. We previously posted a video on the Expansion kit,, but lacked the manual in English. Th3 manual is now available in English. The Tello EDU app is simple to use, and very loaded with programing blocks. Here is the first video we ahve made on this new drone. We will work more on other features such as QR code and object recognition, drone formation flying and Arduino programming this summer., The manual talks about the the DJI flight maps, but has little to no information on them. It gives a website address to download the images, but their are non available. to download. You can contact me at [email protected], or follow us on youtube channel MECATX.

Reactions: Mike Shock
For those interested in Robomaster Extension kit and the Robomaster TT open source controller. We ahve downloaded and with google translate have translated the Chinese version to English. This is the first half of the full document. This part covers the codi9ng for the LED and Matrix display fairly easy to understand if you put them side by side on a split screen or two monitors. There is a considerable amount of coding provided in the figures. This is fairly complicated coding compare with block coding. We will continue to publish our videos and info on our progress. We have found 1. that the Tello EDU must be activated with the Tello app. 2. it will have a Tello name Tello XXXX in the WiFI, Then attach the open source controller, put the switch in down position. The WiFi now will show a RMTT name. Connect and update if it states an update is needed. you can test the open source controller with the USB port and a USB energy bank. it is good to be able to red the voltage of a battery before inserting to make sure it has enough power ( volts and amp's ) As of this time we are using the Tello EDU app for this testing. We still have many of it's functions to test such as QR, object reading, and swarm flying. I hope this helps some. We have few following this thread, so for those that are, please reply as we need help with this Arduino venture.

Attachments

• arduino manual in english from chines on dji site.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 28
Here is aa new video on the dashboard of the app-. We need help with programming the RMTT to read a QR code. and how to use the DJI floor map location aid section. Thank you. We will continue to publish video's to help others use this app.

@Dan : Neither Tello nor RMTT extension can recognize and decode QR codes by themselves. You need to feed the video stream (or single photos taken with Tello) to a library, that can recognize QR codes from the frames / images on your external device.

The Tello EDU app, your student presented in the video also seems to have a QR code recognition. I did not try it by myself but I would guess that if you prepare a QR code with a certain message like "Hello Tello", you can add a programming block in the Tello EDU app that tries to recognize a QR code with a given message. It should be possible to control some logic like "IF (QR code with message "Hello Tello" is recognized) THEN flip right".

Regarding the floor map: As discussed earlier, the large floor map (the "carpet") has ID 12. So you can either use it in commands like GO, CURVE to go to a particular position related to the center of that map or you can read the current position of Tello above this map when listening to the telemetry stream on UDP port 8890. Again, I am not sure, if Tello EDU app offers a programming block to query current map ID and position but I would assume it under the "Sensing" group of programming blocks.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply. As always, you are very helpful. We wo;; try the QR recognition as recommended. We are doing that successfully with the Robolink ZUMI. ( sULV ) It read a QR code and acts on the command. WE have had some problems getting the camera turned on with the app. Regarding the floor map, I understand what you have sent before. What my question is., if the DJI central point is all that is needed for X, Y,Z co-ordinates, how does a drone know where it is if it starts on a far corner. Does it just find the DJI central and calculate the X,Y,Z location. The has a has a nice diagram page dedicated to this, but no instructions on how to use the mission pads, and drone icons It does give the X, Y, Z coordinates which helps. One of our problems if finding. large areas for the carpets. So, if that is all that is needed is the center DJI logo portion, why do we need the rest, or could we make our own carpet with the DJI logo in the middle, or just use a mission pad. Some here, has researched and published black and whiter mission pads that can be read by the Tello. Thanks for you help.

Tello EDU (with firmware v02.05.01.17) can be started from any point of the floor map but it is recommended to keep a certain safety margin from the borders (50cm or so). As soon as it reaches a certain minimum height (about 70 cm above the map), it's position is determined via the dot pattern below the drone which varies by a certain mathematical logic depending on the position. The DJI logo in the center has no meaning for the positioning algorithm. It's just advertising...
I am pretty sure, that the map will also work without the DJI logo in the center and without the little star constellations between the round dots.

If you have limited space where not the whole floor map fits in, you can simply reduce it's size by folding / rolling some of the area of the borders. The 3m x 3m floor map is nothing else than simply a cutout of the larger 5m x 5m floormap. Both can be used with map ID 12. In the formation example that you find in my signature, I used a 4m x 3m cutout of the 5m x 5m map file.

You can also print your own map using the files from Ryze if you have a large plotter but it is important that you print it true to scale.

You can also use the mission pads that come with Tello EDU / Tello Talent but with these you only get this map based positioning inside a very limited "box" above the map. If you want to cover a larger area, you can use more of the mission pads but in that case, positioning is much more complicated compared to the positioning above the large "single piece" floor map. A larger region covered with several small mission pads (that may have about 1 m distance from each other) means that you have many local coordinate systems and you can only "jump" from one local coordinate system to the next one, like in this little example:

The example also shows a little prototype of my "DIY Tello Toplight", which is a 4 "Neopixel" LED strip controlled by an ESP8266 which gets its commands also from the controlling computer. It's a similar approach to what you can do with the RMTT expansion but less weight and cheaper.

Last edited:
Tello EDU (with firmware v02.05.01.17) can be started from any point of the floor map but it is recommended to keep a certain safety margin from the borders (50cm or so). As soon as it reaches a certain minimum height (about 70 cm above the map), it's position is determined via the dot pattern below the drone which varies by a certain mathematical logic depending on the position. The DJI logo in the center has no meaning for the positioning algorithm. It's just advertising...
I am pretty sure, that the map will also work without the DJI logo in the center and without the little star constellations between the round dots.

If you have limited space where not the whole floor map fits in, you can simply reduce it's size by folding / rolling some of the area of the borders. The 3m x 3m floor map is nothing else than simply a cutout of the larger 5m x 5m floormap. Both can be used with map ID 12. In the formation example that you find in my signature, I used a 4m x 3m cutout of the 5m x 5m map file.

You can also print your own map using the files from Ryze if you have a large plotter but it is important that you print it true to scale.

You can also use the mission pads that come with Tello EDU / Tello Talent but with these you only get this map based positioning inside a very limited "box" above the map. If you want to cover a larger area, you can use more of the mission pads but in that case, positioning is much more complicated compared to the positioning above the large "single piece" floor map. A larger region covered with several small mission pads (that may have about 1 m distance from each other) means that you have many local coordinate systems and you can only "jump" from one local coordinate system to the next one, like in this little example:

The example also shows a little prototype of my "DIY Tello Toplight", which is a 4 "Neopixel" LED strip controlled by an ESP8266 which gets its commands also from the controlling computer. It's a similar approach to what you can do with the RMTT expansion but less weight and cheaper.
Thank you for the quick reply. Your information is very helpful. So little is published on this technolgy.

I tried to download the DJI flight map, but was not able to again. The link does not find it. Would you mind sending it to me by email to [email protected] . I will try cutting out part of it as you did. Thanks you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan