Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello with VR headset and controller

Sickboy

Reaction score
hello to everyone. someone managed to drive the tello into vr mode with controller and vr headset? I found a video latency thing that does not happen with normal vision. tips?

I’ve done it with the Gamesir T1D Controller and it’s not bad, but the issue is how Ryze has implemented the split screen. It’s too large, which causes a couple of issues; distortion in the feed, the screen being overly magnified and with most devices the battery status is not visible.

I will post a few pictures later comparing how Ryze has implemented compared to other apps such Litchi and VR Pro who have implemented the right way.

Reactions: Marcio Cartier
Here are the screenshots of the VR Modes for the Tello, Litchi and VR Pro apps. Notice the significant size differences of the split video feed between the the Tello and the other two apps.

You would think that Ryze would have reputable designers who’ve built apps for VR flying, because from what I see it looks like it’s amateur work and it’s as if they’ve never done this before.

See for yourself!

Attachments

• 88DFDE10-4644-4140-9308-7784EEAEAE29.jpeg
    88DFDE10-4644-4140-9308-7784EEAEAE29.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 0ABEB91F-A846-4CBF-BDB6-A4F5BAF2A1D1.jpeg
    0ABEB91F-A846-4CBF-BDB6-A4F5BAF2A1D1.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 85C7AFCF-201C-4BA5-8CE5-B58E3E257657.jpeg
    85C7AFCF-201C-4BA5-8CE5-B58E3E257657.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 123
Here are the screenshots of the VR Modes for the Tello, Litchi and VR Pro apps. Notice the significant size differences of the split video feed between the the Tello and the other two apps.

You would think that Ryze would have reputable designers who’ve built apps for VR flying, because from what I see it looks like it’s amateur work and it’s as if they’ve never done this before.

See for yourself!

thank you for the answers

a last question, litchi is paid, vr pro is not paid but I read that they have compatibility for mavic / spark I don't see compatibility with tello. I downloaded vr pro but doesn't connect to the tello! you only talked to me about the differences between apps and I understood that it was compatible with tello

a last question, litchi is paid, vr pro is not paid but I read that they have compatibility for mavic / spark I don't see compatibility with tello. I downloaded vr pro but doesn't connect to the tello! you only talked to me about the differences between apps and I understood that it was compatible with tello
Sorry, but you misunderstood me. I was just comparing how the other apps have implemented VR modes. I did not state that these were for the Tello.

Ok thanks! No alternative apps for tello for this moment!
Not that I know of for VR. The ones that are being developed are in the very early stage and the developers I think are trying to help out those that want to use a Bluetooth controller on both iOS and Android platforms.

thank you! I read that with wifi extender improves video quality, can you tell me if it also improves in VR mode?

The improvement only reflects the improvement of the video quality and not with the size of the split VR view. The problem (in my opinion) is that the split images on the screen are too large such that it makes everything seem closer, larger and it results in vertical features appearing ver distorted.

The improvement only reflects the improvement of the video quality and not with the size of the split VR view. The problem (in my opinion) is that the split images on the screen are too large such that it makes everything seem closer, larger and it results in vertical features appearing ver distorted.

I find that these googles: Utopia 360° VR Headset that I got from Amazon work pretty well. I can see the battery and wifi status live in the view.

These googles: MERGE VR/AR Goggles that I got from Microcenter have the visibility problems that Avellas documents.

I was able to fly the Tello using the Utopia goggles as a crude FPV mode and there are some dropped frames but I could fly it. I was using the xioami extender while I was flying but I was indoors and I doubt is was a factor.

I did discover that you can enable VR, after the fact, for recorded videos from the tello, and then watch them inside the goggles and this gives a cockpit view of the flight as it was recorded. I recorded the video while flying normally with no googles.

I find that these googles: Utopia 360° VR Headset that I got from Amazon work pretty well. I can see the battery and wifi status live in the view.

These googles: MERGE VR/AR Goggles that I got from Microcenter have the visibility problems that Avellas documents.

I was able to fly the Tello using the Utopia goggles as a crude FPV mode and there are some dropped frames but I could fly it. I was using the xioami extender while I was flying but I was indoors and I doubt is was a factor.

I did discover that you can enable VR, after the fact, for recorded videos from the tello, and then watch them inside the goggles and this gives a cockpit view of the flight as it was recorded. I recorded the video while flying normally with no googles.
Hi,
Glad to hear that the VR mode works better with your Utopia 360° VR Headset and for sharing it with the group. However, I still believe that the VR split screen is not properly designed to accommodate the most common and the higher end VR goggles.

Reactions: jjs357
Does the blue tooth controller that comes with the Utopia goggles do anything with the Tello?

I did not get the Utopia package that includes a bluetooth controller -- the product included was only the googles. I used the Nimbus Steelseries Bluetooth controller on iOS to fly with my iPhone in the goggles.

Finally got an fpv flight in. Kind of a mixed bag of functionality. Was using an iPhone 5s and a Gamesir. I fly a lot of fpv with my other drones and am used to excellent performance. I didn't have complaints with the apps split screen thru vr goggles. I was surprised considering how it was split. I was able to clearly see the WiFi and battery charge indicator.
The big issue was frame drops. This was outside in a clear area with in 75'. Was do able with care but I wouldn't attempt close obstacle flying as it was. Will try my repeater next. Hope that improves it enough to have viable fpv. The reason I got the thing was to have a complete fpv drone in a small case to carry and use at a moments notice be tween jobs. Hope the extender fixes it.
Also the Gamesir is a bit slow to stop the drones movements but found a quick stab of opposite stick works fine. Important when close to objects.

Finally got an fpv flight in. Kind of a mixed bag of functionality. Was using an iPhone 5s and a Gamesir. I fly a lot of fpv with my other drones and am used to excellent performance. I didn't have complaints with the apps split screen thru vr goggles. I was surprised considering how it was split. I was able to clearly see the WiFi and battery charge indicator.
The big issue was frame drops. This was outside in a clear area with in 75'. Was do able with care but I wouldn't attempt close obstacle flying as it was. Will try my repeater next. Hope that improves it enough to have viable fpv. The reason I got the thing was to have a complete fpv drone in a small case to carry and use at a moments notice be tween jobs. Hope the extender fixes it.
Also the Gamesir is a bit slow to stop the drones movements but found a quick stab of opposite stick works fine. Important when close to objects.
Out of curiosity, what VR Goggles did you use?
Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv