Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello won't fly

Suzygs1000

Reaction score
HI, all , Suzygs1000 (Dave) from sunny wet NQ. I have had four DJI's to date, sold one, lost one, and currently have a Mini SE and a Mini 2. I cannot really relax while flying these guys, having already lost a Mini 2, and hassles with DJI and restricted areas, so I decided to get a Tello just to muck around with, and no big drama if I lose it.

The problem I have is that at home, it connects and flies great.

I also fly model aircraft at the Ingham Airport on the weekends.

I took the Tello out there this morning, but when I tried to fly, it told me that I needed to register it just this once. I couldn't do that because the phone I am using has no sim card.

Doesn't seem to matter at home, but I can't understand why it wouldn't work at the airport.

I probably had wifi internet at home on this phone, but I was never asked to register it.

But when I have no internet, it requires me to register the drone before I can fly?

What am I doing wrong?

thanks Dave.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!
Drop by the pilot’s
check-in to introduce yourself.

Go to the DJI Unlock Zone, here,
Enter the address and the rest of the information to get the unlock before leaving.
Thanks for the quick reply .... are you saying that the Tello has geo fencing, similar to the DJI drones, and that I need to unlock the airport, in the same way that I do if I want to fly the MINI2 or Mini SE there. The main reason I purchased the Tello was to avoid this ....

Thanks for the quick reply .... are you saying that the Tello has geo fencing, similar to the DJI drones, and that I need to unlock the airport, in the same way that I do if I want to fly the MINI2 or Mini SE there. The main reason I purchased the Tello was to avoid this ....
As far as I know, all DJI drones do (the tello is a DJI drone). There are drones that do not, the Autel Nano+ for example

Yes, I can I fly on my own property with no problems, but there the phone has wife internet connection, but it is only at the airport (when I have no internet connection) that I am told that I need to register it the first time to fly .... got me ...

To possible causes, depending which app you use.

Ryze Tello App:
A brand new Tello needs to be "activated". Ryze Tello app wants internet connection for that procedure as they sent some info about this to their servers.

TelloFpv:
TelloFpv can "activate" tello without sending any info to me (I don't even have any servers). But a fresh TelloFpv installation requires internet connection twice to check the license with play store: Once at first startup and then once again after a few hours.
I know its a PITA but no way around this with all the piracy issues today.

Both of these problems are temporary, so if it flies OK at home today you shopuld be good to fly anywhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan