Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloX: Make a Tello Fly Autonomously

rwsenser

Reaction score
Hello all-

If you are interested in a way to make a Tello fly autonomously, please have a look at "TelloX". This is a modification to a Tello that permits it to fly without a controller or ground-based controlling computer. The basic approach is to attach a very light WiFI-enabled computer to the Tello and let this computer control the Tello.

The TelloX document is attached. The code is available in GitHub.

If you build a TelloX, please use common sense and be careful! My TelloX flies well! Some coding background is helpful; no soldering required!

Well intended feedback welcomed! Sorry, I cannot offer product support. :)

Thx,
RWSenser

Attachments

• TelloXdocument.pdf
    850.1 KB · Views: 326
Interesting controller board, really light. Did you consider powering it off the USB port on the Tello? you might be able to save some weight by doing so?
Thanks for the comment. Yes, I thought about using the USB port. My concern is that the Feather w/WiFi likely uses significant current when transmitting and I doubt that the Tello USB was intended to provided +/- 300 mA. I've considered looking for a smaller LiPo to attach to the Tello. Thx.

Reactions: nodecaf
My concern is that the Feather w/WiFi likely uses significant current when transmitting and I doubt that the Tello USB was intended to provided +/- 300 mA.
It's quite a valid argument. There are a few builds on the forum that already is using the port for onboard WiFi repeaters and other dev boards. That said, it will be a trade off as it uses power that otherwise could be used to power the drone itself. Do you add an extra battery, but have to use more power to lift that one, or do you draw from the internal battery, which will give you a shorter flight that way? It could be interesting to compare. Anyway, it is still a very interesting build and thanks for sharing!

Hello all-

If you are interested in a way to make a Tello fly autonomously, please have a look at "TelloX". This is a modification to a Tello that permits it to fly without a controller or ground-based controlling computer. The basic approach is to attach a very light WiFI-enabled computer to the Tello and let this computer control the Tello.

The TelloX document is attached. The code is available in GitHub.

If you build a TelloX, please use common sense and be careful! My TelloX flies well! Some coding background is helpful; no soldering required!

Well intended feedback welcomed! Sorry, I cannot offer product support. :)

Thx,
RWSenser
Hi, do you think it is possible to connect a MCU to TELLO without using Wi-Fi? (Hacking through TELLO's PCB)

Because since we are placing our MCU on top of TELLO there is no need to use Wi-Fi and we can use wires right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv