Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Updated: 6/27 *** Well, I did it, the Tello is gone

joeke3el

Reaction score
Kudos to FlySafe CR over at Amazon for their refurbished Tello they sent me today. Not only is it spotless, it came in the original packaging and the initial power on went through the same steps as if it was brand new. Updated the firmware, renamed it so my Xiaomi repeater could find it and it flew perfectly. 5 stars from me. I'm a happy Tello Pilot again!

$79, came with extra props, battery, manual.

It was becoming a ritual from my back yard on windless afternoons to fly above the trees to get some sunset shots. Yesterday I stayed up too long and I started getting messages that it was getting too dark to hold position so it was going to land. Having seen this before, I didn't panic because I've been able to get control of it on time. Not this time. I appeared to have control at first but then the screen froze and suddenly everything went black and my repeater and phone could no longer see the drone in the WiFi settings. My guess is it came down enough to hit a tree top. I walked through the woods several times without any luck. To make myself feel better I ordered a refurbished one on Amazon and also pulled the trigger on a Spark. I was going to get around to that some day anyway! I still wanted the Tello replaced though. Nearly all my filming has been done in areas where anything larger than a Tello would be disturbing others. In many cases, the Tello is the right tool.

Anyway, just wanted to mention this story as a warning to watch your daylight, especially when you're up 30 meters!

Joe

Last edited:
Dang! Sorry Joe... but you may find it some day and then you'll have two AND a Spark :)

And thanks for the reminder about daylight, a few evenings ago I was tempted to go out after work... glad now I didn't

I know that feeling. I was circling my kids on the beach and everything froze up. Lost sight of the tello and all I could see was a picture of water. It was then that I noticed the takeoff button was active and when I pushed it the tello suddenly lifted right behind me as if nothing was wrong. I did press the land button when everything became laggy and non responsive so the tello then landed but I couldn't see it and thought it went for a swim?. The second time I thought it was gone was when I clipped a tree. It was about 60 to 80 meters away and the wind pushed me just enough off course to touch a branch and it was that. Screen shaking and the freeze frame. I walked all the way to the tree to find the tello hovering between the branches and actually it never lost connection. It was just so stable that the image on my phone appeared frozen.

Reactions: joeke3el
I did the exact same thing 2 weeks ago I also set my drone free? , I bought a new one from best buy a week ago. first one I bought was the fly more combo so I wanted my tello back. now I'm hunting the old one down with the help of an app called TelloFpv.
it tracks your tello like it has gps?, they call it VGPS. check it out . I wish I had it on the first tello. "I will find you!"2019-06-23 20-09-35.jpg

Reactions: joeke3el

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv