Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Useful Lesson Learned About Take Off

Mach13

Reaction score
So having spent a couple of hours trying to get my Tello back down from my roof I've found that Tello needs a flat and level surface to take off from otherwise the props just spin for a few seconds at which point Tello evidently says NO!

I was checking out my chimney when a breeze blew of Tello off course towards a prompt unscheduled landing near the roof apex... At first I though perhaps it was a WI-FI signal issue (although Tello was well in line of sight). I could see the props spin up for a few seconds then stop whenever I tried to take off (Sinking feeling emoji). So I had to resort to a long pole, string and an net to catch it back haha... Ingenuity knows no bounds... Mind you not all was pointless I did find I had a soffit that needed refixing whilst I was finicking about so fixed that whilst I was at it and had the ladders out and no doubt entertained a few neighbours to-boot

Anywho... I did a test when I got it back and sure enough Tello will only spin up briefly if not level for take off... I did not know that... but now I do... And now... if you didn't know... now you do to..

Automatic takeoff doesn't work at an angle, only when flat

Manual takeoff works even at some angle:
is start motors using the CSC (both sticks inward and down) to spin up the motors and then lots of throttle to take off.

Reactions: Mach13
Automatic takeoff doesn't work at an angle, only when flat

Manual takeoff works even at some angle:
is start motors using the CSC (both sticks inward and down) to spin up the motors and then lots of throttle to take off.
Aha Tested it and... Perfect, perfect... that works perfectly even on really steep angles, much steeper angles thn my roof at any rate...

Thank You...Volate!lo that just might well save me (and anyone else reading this) in the future!!👏👏👏

Oh how much time and effort I could have saved myself..🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Reactions: volate!lo
I think I alread wrote about this a couple of times, but it's buried in some other threads.

So having spent a couple of hours trying to get my Tello back down from my roof I've found that Tello needs a flat and level surface to take off from otherwise the props just spin for a few seconds at which point Tello evidently says NO!

I was checking out my chimney when a breeze blew of Tello off course towards a prompt unscheduled landing near the roof apex... At first I though perhaps it was a WI-FI signal issue (although Tello was well in line of sight). I could see the props spin up for a few seconds then stop whenever I tried to take off (Sinking feeling emoji). So I had to resort to a long pole, string and an net to catch it back haha... Ingenuity knows no bounds... Mind you not all was pointless I did find I had a soffit that needed refixing whilst I was finicking about so fixed that whilst I was at it and had the ladders out and no doubt entertained a few neighbours to-boot

Anywho... I did a test when I got it back and sure enough Tello will only spin up briefly if not level for take off... I did not know that... but now I do... And now... if you didn't know... now you do to..
So I just personally tested this in a controlled environment. It definitely works! I never knew that the drone would refuse to fly if not level. I've been hand launching it most of the time.

Reactions: Mach13

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thepresentx