Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Whats the best controller for Tello?

Pixies Channel

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm wondering what is the best controller to use with the Tello?

I have an Xbox1 controller but I can not get it to connect with my phone, Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

If you are like me and have the original xbox one controller, it wont work. You need an Xbox One S or X controller in order for it to work with your phone. I use Stratus XL and works great.

Reactions: Pixies Channel
It depends what you want to do with Tello and what you want to spend, also what you do outside the Tello world. I would not be happy to pay 40 € or more for a one trick pony that has not much use for you outside Tello.

Here is what I wrote for the FB group:

If you want good video quality you need a wired controller. All bluetooth controllers cause interference.
For FPV you want precision, for video not so much. For FPV you can live with BT interference, for good video not so much.

I strongly advise against the T1D. Its a one-trick pony and comes with interference problems. Precision is just average so it just doesn't cut.

I heard good things about T1S with USB OTG, but this is gamepad level precision. Its a generic gamepad so has more use than just for tello. Steelseries nimbus is also a good choice.

The Parrot flypad has decent precision, but comes with bluetooth interference. And its also a one trick pony, unless you like the Parrot line of drones.

If you want the best go for a Tarranis or a Realflight controller. It's OK if you happen to have a Tarranis, or if you know you want to stick with this hobby and FPV quads, but personally I consider this overkill just for Tello.

It depends what you want to do with Tello and what you want to spend, also what you do outside the Tello world. I would not be happy to pay 40 € or more for a one trick pony that has not much use for you outside Tello.

If you want good video quality you need a wired controller. All bluetooth controllers cause interference.
For FPV you want precision, for video not so much. For FPV you can live with BT interference, for good video not so much.

I strongly advise against the T1D. Its a one-trick pony and comes with interference problems. Precision is just average so it just doesn't cut.

I heard good things about T1S with USB OTG, but this is gamepad level precision. Its a generic gamepad so has more use than just for tello. Steelseries nimbus is also a good choice.

The Parrot flypad has decent precision, but comes with bluetooth interference. And its also a one trick pony, unless you like the Parrot line of drones.

If you want the best go for a Tarranis or a Realflight controller. It's OK if you happen to have a Tarranis, or if you know you want to stick with this hobby and FPV quads, but personally I consider this overkill just for Tello.
I just heard on Youtube that T1D was designed just for Tello and It seems to work well.
Can you tell me where to get the correct OTG cable?

I just heard on Youtube that T1D was designed just for Tello and It seems to work well.
Can you tell me where to get the correct OTG cable?

Just to be clear: the reason T1D was sold with / for the Tello does not mean this is a good controller for Tello. Its not due to the fact that it uses bluetooth for transmission which causes severe video interference. It was just the only choice for those using the Ryze app.

I think -but I'm not sure- T1S also works with the Ryze app (via bluetooth I suppose), but can also be used as a generic gamepad and also use via USB OTG if using 3rd party apps like TelloFpv or aTellopilot.

Reactions: Nate5711

Thanks you so much for your advice, your App is the best thing to happen to my Tello. just one more question.

I paid for the app on my phone and works fine, I then downloaded it on my Acer tablet it then said not registered app, How do I register it to work on the tablet?

Thanks you so much for your advice, your App is the best thing to happen to my Tello. just one more question.

I paid for the app on my phone and works fine, I then downloaded it on my Acer tablet it then said not registered app, How do I register it to work on the tablet?
I need the exact message to understand whats wrong. The typical issue is that the app needs internet connectivity on the first few starts to validate the license. After that it will store a permanent license on the device.

What doesn't work: You cannot move (backup & restore) the App to a device that has no play store access. You cannot run the app on a rooted device that was modified with tools like addaway or luckypatcher. These scenarios are in violation of play store policies and are not supported.

Even with a supposed workaround in regards to the pairing of my android phone with the Gamesir-T1d, it was a waste of money and so I returned. The Gamesir couldn't even my android phone which works just fine with all sorts of other drones. It would be nice if Ryze Tello would come with its own controller.

I know this is old post but was wondering if Gamesir T1S is still the best RC for a tello. I don't know much about these but getting one for my son, however I can't seem to find a Gamesir T1S anywhere so wondering if their still available

T1S should still be available but not really required unless you are using the Ryze app.

With tellofpv android you can use other other controllers but you have to decide: if you want to go USB OTG wired then any cheap PS3 compatible controller will do.
If you want to go Bluetooth get any controller marked as compatible with android.

For tellofpv iOS you can use any MFi certified controller.

With Ryze app you are locked into Gamesir controllers

Actually I'm now wondering if I should pay a tiny bit more and get him a DJI Mini SE instead as it comes with controller, has a longer range and flight time and better camera. Once I've brought a couple of accessories for the Tello there's not that great a difference in price

entirely different beasts.
The mini is a much better drone but IMO less fun.

Tello is more like a capable toy while the mini is a serious "real drone", with all the good (video quality, reliability, flight time, ...) and the bad that come with it (calibration, GPS fix, NFZs, registrations, limited use indoors, fragile gimbal, repair costs, etc). A mini can cause serious harm where the Tello is just a tiny toy - which is why I never started developing apps for the Mini, it's just too risky if people do stupid things a powerful drone.

Reactions: jeffjeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv