Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Wide angle lens

Ralph Aldous Mellish

Reaction score
I was trying out my new Tello today and it was hard to get myself and kids in the shots, because the lens isn’t particularly wide angled, more of a problem when flying close to the subject(s).
Then I had a brainwave! I found some old iPhone add-on lenses that I haven’t used for years and wondered if they would fit on the Tello... And it looks like they do. I don’t have the metal fixings any more but a quick test with double sided tape works ok (NOT flight tested!)
These lenses are very cheap on eBay. (A$9 a set)
Here is a quick look (indoors at night so excuse the quality) showing the difference. I also have a “fisheye” lens which will be interesting to try.

Normal
168ED166-64CC-49D0-8240-555E966F3BEB.jpeg

Wide angle (needs alignment!)
04E1885A-2737-4682-B685-0FEDDBA1C686.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Yo-dude
I have been wondering about this. Can't wait to see some shots once it's alligned. Perhaps someone can 3d print a lensholder :)

I have been wondering about this. Can't wait to see some shots once it's alligned. Perhaps someone can 3d print a lensholder :)
It really just needs a stick-on metal ring, as the lens has a magnetic base. I don’t have any left from when I had the lenses on my phone. ☹️
I’ll see if I can find a thin washer and stick it on to the Tello.
I’ll also need to do a flight test. Hopefully the lens doesn’t add too much weight to the front of the drone and cause it to fly badly.

OK, so after another trial of the cheap lens today, it seems that the photos taken by Tello are much wider angle than video, so that the extra lens really isn’t much use for photos. In photos you get a very wide view that shows the prop guards and an almost fish-eye view. See attachment.
However, for videos I think it’s worth trying.4CF9B49A-1ADB-4663-A0BC-3945400321DD.jpeg

It really just needs a stick-on metal ring, as the lens has a magnetic base. I don’t have any left from when I had the lenses on my phone. ☹️
I’ll see if I can find a thin washer and stick it on to the Tello.
I’ll also need to do a flight test. Hopefully the lens doesn’t add too much weight to the front of the drone and cause it to fly badly.

You are FINE with weight.. I added a rather heavy camera.. about 30 grams..more than a battery.. the Tello didn't like it but it flew!

New discovery with Gamesir-Self portrait

The weather has brightened up enough for me to fly again, so here are two screen captures from the Tello video to show the difference that the extra lens makes...
Without extra lens
451A5BCA-A601-4FE9-BC79-CBCDCCC3064E.jpeg

With extra lens
583687CF-BEBB-4C5E-923C-E134C2AE3356.jpeg

I did get some of the lens appearing when rotating the Tello, presumably the stabiliser doing its thing. For a few dollars I think it’s a great result.

Yes, same lens. The Tello camera definitely works better in sunny conditions.
I’m still using double-sided tape to hold it in place, which is not ideal. I may order a new one with a couple of the metal rings that can be left on the Tello.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv