Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Wifi Connection not detected unless in airplane mode

shayaknyc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Strange behavior.....unless i put my phone in airplane mode first and make sure I don't have a data connection active, then turn on wifi and connect to the tello the stock app does not detect that I'm connected to the drone. I only have android phones, so not sure if it's OS specific, but I've tried it on 2 different Note 8s, a Note 5, and a Galaxy S 9+ and in all tries, the app would not detect a connection to the drone, despite the wifi having connected to the drone's network, while I had a data connection active.

Any ideas as to what would cause this behavior?

I suspect the cause is the router software built into the phone. The Tello access point says no internet access so the phone routes the app to the cell data plan instead. With airplane mode on the cell plan is deactivated and when the user activates the wifi the router uses the only available path.

I suspect the cause is the router software built into the phone. The Tello access point says no internet access so the phone routes the app to the cell data plan instead. With airplane mode on the cell plan is deactivated and when the user activates the wifi the router uses the only available path.

Of this I'm positive. The question is how do we make the tello app use ALL network devices until it finds the IP address that connects to the tello? Even after I connect to the tello on airplane mode or with data off, if I turn data back on or turn off airplane mode and get a data connection, it will stop communicating with the drone.

There must be a way to have android devices communicate with the tello drone without having to not have an active data connection. Anyone?!

I don't have this kind of experience using Samsung Galaxy A3 (runs Android 8.0 OREO).

When I am connected to WIFI without internet access (for example TELLO), i get just the warning that Internet is not available (so anoying / not able to turn it off anywhere!).
I have no connection even with mobile data connection active until I turn the WIFI off or reconnect to some WIFI with Internet access.

I've found out by trying to update TELLOs firmware, which is a bit tricky because it needs both connection at once (TELLO + internet)

Same behavior on my Apple iPhone 5S. Regarding my experience I believe this is normal.
Anyone with other experience?

I have never even had to switch on airplane mode on iOS, it just connects everytime
It does, but there is less lag and improved range if you fly in airplane mode. I was dissapointed with only 15-20m distance before Tello becomes less responsive so I tried in airplane mode and it is better. Waiting for a repeater hoping it will increase the range even further.

Considering I'm on android, this doesn't really help - but it does shine a light on the fact that it's possible. I think that this should be relatively simple to fix on the app - as I do not believe the issue is with the phone. The APP needs to be programmed in such a way as to ONLY use the wifi adapter's connection and not just ANY connection. Any way to get a hold of the tello app developers on this?

Considering I'm on android, this doesn't really help - but it does shine a light on the fact that it's possible. I think that this should be relatively simple to fix on the app - as I do not believe the issue is with the phone. The APP needs to be programmed in such a way as to ONLY use the wifi adapter's connection and not just ANY connection. Any way to get a hold of the tello app developers on this?
Try this app http://speedify.com/download/

@shayaknyc - on your Android, go to Wi-Fi, Click 3 dots on right top corner, then 1st link, then first button off.
Then the anoying message - could be turned off by long pressing on the notification! Flawles!
:)

@shayaknyc - on your Android, go to Wi-Fi, Click 3 dots on right top corner, then 1st link, then first button off.
Then the anoying message - could be turned off by long pressing on the notification! Flawles!
I could not find any 3 dots on the right top corner of any of the levels of"wifi" on my Samsung Note 8. :(

Glad I found this thread.

My new phone - Moto G6 plus would connect to the aircraft by wifi but the official app would not work - until I put the phone into Airplane mode first and now it works perfectly :)

I suspect it might also be of use to people who also have phones that don't work.

Reactions: Garfi1970

I'm a fairly advanced android user and I have no idea what you're trying to tell me to do LOL. Instead of providing me with steps, can you tell me specifically what settings I should be looking for?

Keep in mind, I don't care that the notification shows that I don't have an internet connection - that's not the issue. The issue is that the app is not programmed properly. It's looking for ANY active network connection which is BAD PROGRAMMING. It should ONLY communicate over the wifi adapter. If the app was designed to ONLY use the wifi adapter, then this would not be an issue.

I've found out by trying to update TELLOs firmware, which is a bit tricky because it needs both connection at once (TELLO + internet)

What you can do is:
1) Connect with tello drone
2) Activate mobile data and download firmware
3) disable mobile data then push firmware update to the drone

What you can do is:
1) Connect with tello drone
2) Activate mobile data and download firmware
3) disable mobile data then push firmware update to the drone

My to do list is:
1) Connect to tello drone
2) Disable Wifi
3) Download FW
4) Enable Wifi and connect to tello
5) Upload FW

Its because of this settings attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180812-214827_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180812-214827_Settings.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 14
I'm a fairly advanced android user and I have no idea what you're trying to tell me to do LOL. Instead of providing me with steps, can you tell me specifically what settings I should be looking for?

Keep in mind, I don't care that the notification shows that I don't have an internet connection - that's not the issue. The issue is that the app is not programmed properly. It's looking for ANY active network connection which is BAD PROGRAMMING. It should ONLY communicate over the wifi adapter. If the app was designed to ONLY use the wifi adapter, then this would not be an issue.
Follow attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180812-214805_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180812-214805_Settings.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20180812-214802_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180812-214802_Settings.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20180812-214827_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180812-214827_Settings.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20180812-214823_Settings.jpg