Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WiFi Repeater advice

what is the best repeater for tello drone, and whats the range?
The best (portable) repeater we have found so far is the tp-link TL-WR902AC - dual band repeater. Range is about 150 meters - probably more. But more importantly - using the 5Ghz connection (from phone to Router) provides excellent video transfer - less pixelation and freezing:

Hello TelloMello,

Tello connects to the repeater in the 2.4GHz range and the smartphone is connected to the repeater.
Can you please explain how it is possible to use a repeater in the 5GHz range here?

Tello to Repeater = 2,4GHz WLAN and Repeater to Smartphone = 5GHz WLAN?

Last edited:
Reactions: TelloMellow
Hi
You have to use a dual band repeater. A dual band repeater will communicate at both 2.4 and 5 GHz. The Tello will communicate (natively) at 2.4 GHz but you’re smartphone (if it is newer) will communicate at 5Ghz. So the Tello will connect to the repeater at 2.4 while your phone will connect at 5 GHz both to the repeater. Check out the tp-link AC750.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fari and Bruchpilot
Hello TelloMello,

Tello connects to the repeater in the 2.4GHz range and the smartphone is connected to the repeater.
Can you please explain how it is possible to use a repeater in the 5GHz range here?

Tello to Repeater = 2,4GHz WLAN and Repeater to Smartphone = 5GHz WLAN?
When you use dual band repeater (like the tp-link AC750 or any other) - it uses one SSID for the 2.4 Ghz and (as an option) another SSID for the 5 Ghz. The 2.4 GHz one will be automatically connected to your Tello. But - you would use 5 Ghz SSID for the smartphone.

Reactions: Bruchpilot
Hello TelloMellow, since the data exchange Tello-Repeater-Smarphone takes place in the 2.4 GHz range and then in the 5 Ghz range (bottleneck), I would not have thought that the video transmission is significantly better, but your video convinced me, congratulations and thanks . And that is also possible with the TP-Link TL-WR902AC, i.e. 2.4 GHz from Tello to the repeater and repeater in the 5 GHz range to the smartphone?

Best regards

Hello TelloMellow, since the data exchange Tello-Repeater-Smarphone takes place in the 2.4 GHz range and then in the 5 Ghz range (bottleneck), I would not have thought that the video transmission is significantly better, but your video convinced me, congratulations and thanks . And that is also possible with the TP-Link TL-WR902AC, i.e. 2.4 GHz from Tello to the repeater and repeater in the 5 GHz range to the smartphone?

Best regards
Correct - that’s the connection used to take that video. I wish I knew about it way before ?

Any links for where to buy, I want to try something on a Bugs 5w I have that uses a 5g wifi camera and would be interested in trying a repeater to see if there is any improvement

Thank you so very much for the information in this blog. You are great people. I did bye the tp-link TL-WR902AC and it's great! Extended my range a little bit but what I really liked is how it improves overall transmission of video through the whole distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv