Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Wifi repeater on steroids.....WL-WN570HA1

raulvolador

@ph2t,

Have you already tried xiaomi wifi extender with external antennas ?

I am very interested knowing test results.

Don't forget share it with us.

Raul.

Ph2t's answer took me too long so I've opened my own mi repeater. Next step get some antennas from an old Wi-Fi router. I'll keep you updated 20181220_195304.jpg

raulvolador

I opened mine some days ago, soldered cables and attached external antenas. All assambled into a temporary cardboard box.

I'm now entering test phase. Maybe I will start a new thread for keep you informed.

Raul.

ph2t

Great work guys! Sorry I haven’t updated this thread. Once I had this project completed and ready to test I had a motor die on the tello. It has taken ages to get a replacement motor but finally I have it and installed today successfully. I used a Racerstar 8520 8.5x20mm 53500RPM Coreless Motor.

I have read the other by Stele with great interest. Especially the comments regarding patch antennas, didn’t know that.

Now that the tello is up and running again I finally have a chance to test this mod and will update the thread within the next week.

Great work to everyone again!
Cheers,
ph2t.

raulvolador

I have now mounted the MI repeater into a plastic housing and run some cables and mounts. Also the lil tello racer is working a while two days now without me killing (another) motor.
So tomorrow I will test this to see how it works.
View attachment 2646
Cheers,
ph2t.
Nice !!!

I am just working into a very similar enclosure for my xiaomi repeater.

This way is easier testing different antenna and even external wifi boosters

good work !

ph2t

OK, got some time outside with the modified repeater today. So far so good. I have bought a 2nd tello and used that in my tests.

Here is my setup:

repeater.jpg

First test: Stock tello with iPhone 8, Gamesir gamepad for control. I am the orange dot, the red area is the flight range I got. This is very rough! I took points from memory and made notes. Hand drawn and not exact! I was recording video for the whole flight and used the video feed drop out event as the definition of range limit reached.

area1.jpg

Second test: My 'lil racer tello (modified) with wifi repeater, iPhone 8 and gamesir gamepad for control. I am the orange dot, the wifi repeater is red dot, the blue area is the flight range I got. This is very rough! I took points from memory and made notes. Hand drawn and not exact! I was recording video for the whole flight and used the video feed drop out event as the definition of range limit reached.

area2.jpg

Some notes:
  • A very noisy wifi environment. The school building contain 50+ access points and all the private houses spew wifi onto the oval.
  • The 2nd test uses my 'lil racer tello which has a modified antenna, which would contribute to the results. A better test is to use modded repeater with the stock tello, I was lazy.
  • These sketches are sketchy - rule of thumb sorta results, not as exact a testing method as say Raul's work.
Fun.

cheers,
ph2t.

raulvolador

Good test !

Only lack testing stock unmodified Xiaomi Wifi Extender too. That way you will check whether external antennas are an improvement or not :unsure:

That's the reason I bought a second Wifi Extender I will let unmodified. My plan is doing a face-to-face test, one against the other, same place, same conditions.

raul.

volate!lo

Good test !

Only lack testing stock unmodified Xiaomi Wifi Extender too. That way you will check whether external antennas are an improvement or not :unsure:

That's the reason I bought a second Wifi Extender I will let unmodified. My plan is doing a face-to-face test, one against the other, same place, same conditions.

raul.
Thats the way to go. Only one variable for each test.

raulvolador

@ph2t,

I bought this plastic box for mounting antennas and Xiaomi repeater: https://www.amazon.com/Velleman-WCAH2851-Black-Plastic-160X95X55mm/dp/B000LQGC3M

As box is 160 cm long that's maximum possible distance between antenna mounts.

I read Xiaomi Repeater uses MIMO antenna array tecnology MIMO - Wikipedia

But I'm not sure what's the best distance between antenna mounts. As MIMO based on multiple paths and de-correlated signals It seem wider distance, best performance, but should it be multiplier/divider WIFI 2.4 Ghz wavelength (122.45 milimeters) ?

What distance did you use ?

Any other idea is wellcome.

raul

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nakanishi