Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WiFi repeater

Is signal strength a function of lateral flying range or otherwise?
I mean if indeed a signal repeater can increase range I'd want to experiment, but for height I think I'd be looking for trouble.

I thought height was limited to 30 meters (about 100 feet)

Increasing WiFi range sounds like a cool idea although can be risky as there is no 'return home' capability.

Anyone know where to buy USB to Lightning adapter? I would like to use this Xiaomi extender with iPhone X. I have found on aliexpress only adapter with cable like this one. I found one adapter without cable on amazon, but it was quite expensive to send it to Czech Republic :/.

EDIT: Ebay helped.

Last edited:
Anyone know where to buy USB to Lightning adapter? I would like to use this Xiaomi extender with iPhone X. I have found on aliexpress only adapter with cable like this one. I found one adapter without cable on amazon, but it was quite expensive to send it to Czech Republic :/.

EDIT: Ebay helped.

Not sure the WiFi extender would work with an iPhone X (not convinced it works when plugged into an Android device either!)

Height is limited to 10m, which is actually really disappointing.

P
Likswise, but we knew that when we bought it. And if you find a way like climbing up a tower to initiate your flight hight and then climb down again to fly in the negative back on the ground, you'd probably run into instability and other errors as the Tello won't know what to do past 10 meters because the "vision" downward only controls stability up to that point.
My guess would be that it will not be flyable at all or that it will revert to full rc controlled flight without any stability.

Reactions: drrjv
Not worth trying, I'll stick to using it for close up fun and indoor entertainment.

I thought height was limited to 30 meters (about 100 feet)

Increasing WiFi range sounds like a cool idea although can be risky as there is no 'return home' capability.
I think you are right plus that visual aquity would soon fail due to the size of the Tello.

Reactions: drrjv
So I just fired up the mi home app and it wants me to create a login to get the extender to work. Is this normal? Seems most post said just turn it on and connect. Any advice would help!

I have been using GLInnet AR150 and 300. They are great because I can choose which antenna I want to use so I have my omni and my high gain. They need a little config to get them to play nice with the Tello but they are a great pocket router. I run it off a big cell power bank battery.

You need to set up the Tello Wifi Password in order to proceed with the Xiaomi Wifi Extender installation.
This doesn't seem to be the case. I saw people saying you had to enter 00000000 as the password in Mi Home (and leave the Tello password blank otherwise it bricks your Tello temporarily requiring a factory reset) but I just set up my new Xiaomi Wifi Repeater 2 today and the password field was grayed out not letting me enter a password, it still worked fine although the app claimed it failed to connect. Connecting manually to the _plus network afterwards worked just fine, password was left blank everywhere.

I am not sure how a MI is setup but with my GLInet pocket router I secure it's network but the Tello stays unsecured. I then make sure the regular tello is not known by ny phone so it will only connect through the router. Openwrt will let you do whatever you need to in this case. I have ffmpeg running on the router to capture a stream and save it to thumb drive directly from the Tello. These routers are much cheaper than these range extenders and you can use your own antennas

I am not sure how a MI is setup but with my GLInet pocket router I secure it's network but the Tello stays unsecured. I then make sure the regular tello is not known by ny phone so it will only connect through the router. Openwrt will let you do whatever you need to in this case. I have ffmpeg running on the router to capture a stream and save it to thumb drive directly from the Tello. These routers are much cheaper than these range extenders and you can use your own antennas
The wifi extender only cost me $9. Are pocket routers even cheaper than that?

Reactions: K9VXV
Works with a WiFi+ USB repeater and an Amped Wireless Tapex router/repeater. I run a double biquad antenna on the Amped for super range with my Parrot drones. Its overkill for the Tello also there is a bit of latency. Don't see much point in a repeater for range extension but it boosts the WiFi strength for close in flying. Am wanting to fly close in FPV with the Tello once I get a controller to work. The repeater will be good for that.

Reactions: K9VXV
I just saw a WiFi+ for $12 on eBay. Its easy to link up and is dual band. Antennas are fixed, so if you want to experiment with them look for one with detachable units. I run mine on a power bank as well as the Amped router. I don't fly with the repeaters close to me but move them some distance away to extend the range even more. If you are using a directional antenna then you need to stay close to it. I fly my Parrots on waypoints for aerial photos and would loose return video in less than 300m. The router has more than doubled that. Haven't tried much further yet but bet there is probably 2km of range there.
The Tello since it transfers files to the host device needs a strong signal. Much more so than a drone that loads files internally. Might consider a router/repeater. They have much more power.

Last edited:
For sure not. Got me there. Thats how much these xiomi ones are?
Price can vary a bit but I bought mine from gearbest when there was a discount, looks like that discount is over so it's $10 now.
I just saw a WiFi+ for $12 on eBay. Its easy to link up and is dual band. Antennas are fixed, so if you want to experiment with them look for one with detachable units. I run mine on a power bank as well as the Amped router. I don't fly with the repeaters close to me but move them some distance away to extend the range even more. If you are using a directional antenna then you need to stay close to it. I fly my Parrots on waypoints for aerial photos and would loose return video in less than 300m. The router has more than doubled that. Haven't tried much further yet but bet there is probably 2km of range there.
The Tello since it transfers files to the host device needs a strong signal. Much more so than a drone that loads files internally. Might consider a router/repeater. They have much more power.
I think that's the same as the Xiaomi (mine does say WiFi+ on it), according to tests done by someone else it gives 2.5-4x range (4x only if you have the Tello facing you)
I don't think it's dual band though. It couldn't see the 5G network here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv