Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Wifi repeater

Terry

Reaction score
I set up my repeater last night, got my blue light and everything was fine. Today it doesn't seem to see the repeater any more. Flashing yellow. Do i need to reconnect the repeater again?

Yes, after a few hours of working, I had to reset the wifi extender by pressing on that little reset button for several seconds. Then I setup the system again and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: akward59
I set up my repeater last night, got my blue light and everything was fine. Today it doesn't seem to see the repeater any more. Flashing yellow. Do i need to reconnect the repeater again?

I had issues with my repeater losing the configuration also. I have found that if I power the repeater on first and then power the Tello on, the repeater seems to lose configuration. I have also found that if I power the Tello off and then unplug the repeater, again, the repeater loses its configuration.
So now when I fly, I always power the Tello on first and make sure that it is transmitting its Wi-Fi signal and then plug the repeater in and when I get a blue light on the repeater then I connect the phone. Then when I am done flying, I always unplug the repeater and then power off the Tello. When I power Up/Down in this sequence I have not had any issues with the repeater losing its configuration again, even if I don't fly for a while and it just sits for days. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I had issues with my repeater losing the configuration also. I have found that if I power the repeater on first and then power the Tello on, the repeater seems to lose configuration. I have also found that if I power the Tello off and then unplug the repeater, again, the repeater loses its configuration.
So now when I fly, I always power the Tello on first and make sure that it is transmitting its Wi-Fi signal and then plug the repeater in and when I get a blue light on the repeater then I connect the phone. Then when I am done flying, I always unplug the repeater and then power off the Tello. When I power Up/Down in this sequence I have not had any issues with the repeater losing its configuration again, even if I don't fly for a while and it just sits for days. Hope this helps!
Sorry. So I do have to reconfigure the repeater first.?

I have a couple of these and they seem to lose config. if there is a quick "on-off-on" with the power. Check your cable or power bank for a loose connection. Avoid powering on then quickly off etc. I personally have never had to follow any sequence using the TelloFPV app. and the repeater. Good luck! ;)

I have a couple of these and they seem to lose config. if there is a quick "on-off-on" with the power. Check your cable or power bank for a loose connection. Avoid powering on then quickly off etc. I personally have never had to follow any sequence using the TelloFPV app. and the repeater. Good luck! ;)
Cheers

Reactions: Hal C in TN
Flashing yellow. Do i need to reconnect the repeater again?
Did you get your problem fixed after the movie last night? ;)

With the repeater plugged in, what name does it show on your phone Wi-Fi menu screen? It should be the name of your Tello with "_plus" added on the end. If it's any other, then yes it has lost connection to your Tello and reverted to factory settings.

Also, I found it better to 'forget' my home Wi-Fi so the phone doesn't keep trying to connect to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry
Yes if you have lost configuration

This is the EXACT procedure I used and it works flawlessly! When you set up your account, make sure you use China-mainland as your location.

I personally have never had to follow any sequence
I don't have to follow any certain sequence either... but I found it quickest and easiest to do the following:

-Open Tellofpv, then use the shortcut to go to the phone Wi-Fi screen.

- Plug in the repeater and the phone will start trying to connect to it and obtain an IP address.

-Power on Tello and wait for everything to connect. Once the repeater light is blue, if the phone doesn't automatically connect to "yourTello_plus" for some reason, then just manually connect.

-The back button takes you back to Tellofpv and everything is ready for takeoff

Last edited:
This is the EXACT procedure I used and it works flawlessly! When you set up your account, make sure you use China-mainland as your location.

One thing I might add for those who ALSO spent hours trying to get the Mi Home app to show the device after creating you account, is to go into settings on the Mi Home app and select "Hong Kong" for English speakers. The repeater is immediately recognized and pops up and installs within minutes on it's own. Hope this helps other save time! :)

Reactions: umanbean
Hi all,

I managed to get the mi extender setup with my Tello. However, when I use the app the video freezes after 30-69 seconds of use and doesn’t come back until I turn everything off and on. During this time there are no warning messages, and I still have no issues controller the Tello (in fact it still works very smoothly). Has this happened to anyone else before, and if so, do you guys know how to fix it? Thanks!

I had a similar thing happen to me a few days ago. I noted that I lost both flight controls and video updates. I noticed that the WiFi signal on the TELLOFPV app was showing 0db signal. :oops:

I had left the WiFi repeater and its power station in my screen porch (about 40 to 50feet away) when I went out in my back yard to fly. Fortunately, it just established a nice stationary hover until I was able to get closer to the power station. Then it returned to 90db signal and I regained full function. (y)

From what I have heard, the WiFi repeater works best when the unit is about 5 or so yards from the controller, which has also been my experience thus far. Hope this is helpful! :)

Thanks Hal!

I was in such a hurry writing I forgot some key details! I am connecting an iPhone X to a PS4 controller, then extending wifi with mi 2. I also noticed on the tello app the Wi-Fi icon goes to 0 reception as well. With without the PS4 controller and connecting to mi extender I don’t have any issues controller Tello with my phone.

I’ll certainly try keeping the repeater a few yards out to see if it fixes the issue tomorrow. Couldn’t do it today due to30 mph winds :)

Hey....

I am a bit confused about how you power the repeater. I use a separate power supply for it and place it several yards away to avoid any interference. Are you doing the same? I've seen where others have had issues powering the repeater with their phone.

Hope that you get flying weather soon. Been rough here too! :sick:

Is it just me or has anyone else had configuration lost by using a long press to power the aircraft? I haven't had any trouble otherwise. Just wondering.... :unsure:

I have the same config as you — ps4 controller connected to iPhone X via Bluetooth. Mi extender connected to an external battery, so that can be moved around separately from my phone.

I have the same config as you — ps4 controller connected to iPhone X via Bluetooth. Mi extender connected to an external battery, so that can be moved around separately from my phone.
Ok guys....I made a few more discoveries today.

I'm flying with the Android version of TelloFPV on a Samsung Tablet S with a 10.1 inch screen that is WiFi only (no phone). I have a GAME SIR T1s controller that I can connect with Blu-tooth but haven't needed it so I fly using the monitor controls without an external controller.

I had been setting my power supply for the range extender down on a concrete patio. I hadn't thought about it before, but there is rebar steel in the slab which might cause interference. I have started putting it on a small table and had good result and max signal strength for as far away as I dare to fly.

I'm still looking for the best video setup, but have to say that so far, I'm very happy with this quad!
I'm also looking for the best battery percentage to give me a good storage charge when finished a flight. I will look for forums for these issues elsewhere on the site! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv