Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

You performed a deep research. Good job ;)

Remember to share if you get Tello CE Wifi Certification document.

I hope Ryze is not cheating us, keeping a unchanged wifi power and a fixed one-to-eleven list of available channels whatever region set. If they do that for FCC, will they fulfill certification requisites for all regions ?
Still super strange how your tello cannot be forced to 12 and 13, assuming you have connected oem app with location allowed and followed up by a tello restart.

I must see the CE report for tello to be 100% sure about region power limit. Currently I am 98% sure there isn't a region limit (I did more update to my conclusion in my massive reply post again). Mainly looking for the program they used for CE cert and see if it is the one used in the FCC report. But I have a bad feeling for your speculation Raul, I saw people say CE is self cert. CE regulation I linked before only states “in” 1-13 channel frequency range, so 1-11 is technically in.There is really little incentive for Ryze to spend extra resource to spend on extra CE report and program channel/power for CE when 1-11 channels do not go beyond legal spectrum in CE standard and the power measurements in FCC satisfies CE test method and power limit.

@volate!lo what is the story of your DE tello then? Btw keep the orignal fw tello, it is a gem.

Last edited:
Reactions: raulvolador
@volate!lo what is the story of your DE tello then? Btw keep the orignal fw tello, it is a gem.
I don't know... I lost track of each Tello's history. I just remember that I bought a lot of 3 from a reseller of shop returns so maybe these are models that were originally sold in the US. We shall see when I roll out the next version with the query function.

2) I have also seen a "Set Region" command somewhere, I think it was in Krag's TelloLib. But I have never seen when monitoring the byte stream between the ryze app and Tello. And I tried everything, including registration of the brand new tello. I also monitored the firmware update of one of my drones from the previous version to the current version, and the command wasn't used in this process, too. The only thing left is a firmware upgrade of the brand new drone, which I don't want to do. Since I only have the command, but not the parameters it accepts, I can't test it. I need to see the command being used before I can replicate it.
I don't remember any commands to do with regions. I know my app never sent anything like that. If there was like that in my code it may have come from examining the original Tello App logs. There was a lot of Chinese that I auto translated.

That FF firmware sounds interesting. I wish we could dump it.

PLEASE HELP.... I have the Xiaomi repeater 2 but can’t seem to get it to connect to the Tello. The repeater is connected to my WiFi and works fine. I changed the name on my Tello to TELLOgadget. The repeater is on a 2.4g WiFi connection and appears as my router name_PLUS. I watched all the videos but haven’t come across this issue. Has anyone else experience this issue before?

PLEASE HELP.... I have the Xiaomi repeater 2 but can’t seem to get it to connect to the Tello. The repeater is connected to my WiFi and works fine. I changed the name on my Tello to TELLOgadget. The repeater is on a 2.4g WiFi connection and appears as my router name_PLUS. I watched all the videos but haven’t come across this issue. Has anyone else experience this issue before?
have them close. Turn bt off? I donno. Follow the procedure carefully and it should work

The new version is out in beta test and contains an easter egg to query the region:

Open About, tap 3x on the credit section which opens a dialog. enter "q:reg" and you should see the region as reported by tello.
Followed directions, but I didn 't succedd. Command window close by itself and OK message showed on screen but no region code.

edited: tello was not connected. i will try again later

The new version is out in beta test and contains an easter egg to query the region:

Open About, tap 3x on the credit section which opens a dialog. enter "q:reg" and you should see the region as reported by tello.
It worked for me !

My Tello is correctly configured, as ES (Spain) region.

See here:

tello region es.jpg

Thanks @volate!lo :)

It worked for me !

My Tello is correctly configured, as ES (Spain) region.

See here:

View attachment 3691

Thanks @volate!lo :)
I got reply back. Apparently they consider it confidential and want to not provide the CE report based on my reason to find out if CE has indeed a different limit in programming. See below.

“Greetings from Ryze Robotics Team!

In regards with your concern if we can provide you the CE compliance Test Report for Tello, our designated team already given us a feedback. They mentioned that it involves the some confidentiality of the company. Unfortunately, we could not provide it. Hoping for your kind understanding on this matter.

If you still have other concerns, feel free to contact us anytime and we will be more than willing to help.

Best Regards,
Mark Jommel”

• Sad
Reactions: raulvolador
Hello I join this thread, but my tello bought in Uniero Valmontone Italy has the EU code but when asking for information about the region it tells me that it is from the United States, now if I do not understand why a tello bought in a famous ITALIAN store tells me which is from the United States ???????????? ?????????????????

I checked my Tello purchased from Jonathan.it

Famous Italian model shop on the label says (CE) while in telloFPV (FF)

A few weeks of back and forth. Got these two replies as a conclusion to this location code goose chase. They got interested once I told them the Chinese authority had 20dbm recorded on the certificate record which is different to the 19dbm the manual claimed. I feel this is the best I could get out of them with them refusing to provide CE test report due to confidentiality (likely the same test conducted for the FCC report).

We have an update from our dedicated department.

I appreciated your patience getting the answers for your inquiry and upon coordinating to the said department they have stated that the Tello’s transmission power is ranging from Floating between 19db and 20db.

Hope this is clarify and helps.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Alex
RYZE Customer Support

Last reply

Thanks for getting back to us!

I have the information relay and they stated that it is 19dbm ranging to 20dmb which is everywhere.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Alex
RYZE Customer Support

Looks like tello has the same power everywhere then. Good work everyone!

Mine returned AU just for curiosity

Hi, could you share where you get this? I noticed that you're also in Sydney, like me. I've been looking at eBay (Australia) for this but nothing like the one in your picture. Thanks!

Got my hands on one. takes about 20s for both control and vid feed to come back when I plug the wifi+ extender back in. Reasonably fast. Xiaomi tends to give control back first then video a few seconds later. Another difference I noticed was that wifi+ thinks it is extending by giving fast blue flash 10s after power on then at the 1 min mark it turns fast flashing red indicating not extending network (there was no source wifi to begin with). Xiaomi does it differenly by giving yellow flash indicating it is not extending and when it does extend wifi it turns to constant blue. If you do this while tello flies, xiaomi turns blue then after some time your control comes back then video. I will do an outdoor flight soon. Wifi+ extender seems decent.

UPDATE: Went out for a quick flight. Not a range test because my field is small and enclosed by residential villages. I was able to get full signal when 150m out and the whole flight had no frame skip. Xiaomi had flickering 2-3 bars at that range, and turning at return point caused a massive frame skip. I can already see Wifi+ is way better than xiaomi. Go get it guys!View attachment 3368

Hi, could you share where you get this? I noticed that you're also in Sydney, like me. I've been looking at eBay (Australia) for this but nothing like the one in your picture. Thanks!
I just searched and I cannot find it too. Going back to eBay history I found it and it says it is sold out. So that is why. I don't see a second seller selling extender like this. Your best bet is getting one from international sellers now. If you are desperate you can get a xiaomi 2 first. It is not too shabby really. Chatswood's Huawei store should have them in shop for $19. Or you can buy from Amazon AU.

Also this thing called
TP-LINK TL-WA820RE
should be easily available from stores or online being a popular brand sold in Australia. Being a popular brand item it is more expensive too. I am not aware of anyone flying tello with it so no guarantee on how good it should be. I would like to think it is no worse than xiaomi because of the external antenna.

Reactions: priandi
I use TP-LINK TL-WA820RE and I can confirm it works OK (have no Xiaomi though, so no direct comparison here). For some strange reason, they have disappeared from EU and US lately, last time I was looking for one, they were available in AU only ;)

Reactions: Guorium
I received Comfast CF-WR371AC extender from official store and it is very strange device :)
It is build on well-known Ralink chip, but this is so stu-u-upid... I tryed to rewrite firmware, changed parameters in advanced menu, but no any result.
It connects to Tello, but any app is not working...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv