Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

I use TP-LINK TL-WA820RE and I can confirm it works OK (have no Xiaomi though, so no direct comparison here). For some strange reason, they have disappeared from EU and US lately, last time I was looking for one, they were available in AU only ;)
how far do you get off it? what is the radio condition like?

@anbalck hmmmm, i saw quuadcopter101 on youtube trying two models of comfast repeaters. One is yours. Both did not improve range of a bugs2 wifi drone by much. I think it was only by 20m, by your one.

Well, I was using it for flying BVLOS ;) That is, in my office, thru the corridor and into other rooms, while sitting at my desk. So, while the distance was not so impressive, the walls and wifi interference were enough to make flying without a repeater near to impossible: lost video feed, delayed reaction and crashes as a result.
With repeater I am able to actually see where I fly and to control the craft. No casualties so far, except for Mrs. Ela's (our perfect secretary) papers, that were disturbed by low-passing Tello ;)

Outside I rarely fly beyond ~80-90 meters, being a beginner I prefer to see the drone, or at least hear it ;) Still, the video quality is visibly better -- higher bitrate, less lost frames. I have not tested range limits so far; should have some time to fly in July.

Reactions: Guorium
Guorium,
I saw this video.
It's strange too, because of :
1. Repeater have quite power radiochannel - my phones see it stable from large distance.
2. On 5.8GHz it works very fast (connects in a couple of sec)
Now i try to speak with seller...

I just searched and I cannot find it too. Going back to eBay history I found it and it says it is sold out. So that is why. I don't see a second seller selling extender like this. Your best bet is getting one from international sellers now. If you are desperate you can get a xiaomi 2 first. It is not too shabby really. Chatswood's Huawei store should have them in shop for $19. Or you can buy from Amazon AU.

Also this thing called
TP-LINK TL-WA820RE
should be easily available from stores or online being a popular brand sold in Australia. Being a popular brand item it is more expensive too. I am not aware of anyone flying tello with it so no guarantee on how good it should be. I would like to think it is no worse than xiaomi because of the external antenna.

Thanks, I finally found one here..

WiFi Range Extender USB Wireless Router 300Mbps Mini Repeater Dual Antenna

I already have a Xiaomi 2, it was a bit confusing for me because somehow the connection is worse than direct connection to Tello. However, after switching to OTG controller it seems to get better with Xiaomi. I'd like to test it outside but the weather has been pretty bad these days.

Cheers

Thanks, I finally found one here..

WiFi Range Extender USB Wireless Router 300Mbps Mini Repeater Dual Antenna

I already have a Xiaomi 2, it was a bit confusing for me because somehow the connection is worse than direct connection to Tello. However, after switching to OTG controller it seems to get better with Xiaomi. I'd like to test it outside but the weather has been pretty bad these days.

Cheers
the link looks dodgy. Who pays 47 bucks for that and it is not even in stock

the link looks dodgy. Who pays 47 bucks for that and it is not even in stock

Dodgy? How much was it when you got yours? They only has the last unit when I saw it. If you think it's too expensive, then thank god I didn't get it. :)

With Xiaomi 2 now performing consistently well (after OTG controller), I think I'm good for now.

I'm forced my Comfast to work :)
The problem was in huge power consumption, my small powerbank can't supply such current.
What can i say ? It works. Very stable network up to 50 m and fast drop of signal power after...

just keep in mind that fly over a slope increases altitude. Tello thinks its 8m high but inreality its maybe 25m or more. That may confuse VPS

just keep in mind that fly over a slope increases altitude. Tello thinks its 8m high but inreality its maybe 25m or more. That may confuse VPS
Thanks VolateLo, I'm aware of this ...
After the flight, the inactive VPS time was at "0" minutes.
RTH worked quite well even at that distance.

Perhaps compass not calibrated well or path too long of 875 meters and known the landing point 16 meters from the landing point.
But this I think is normal because of VPS confusion.

Very well! Then we can be satisfied with this test.
Thanks again for this fantastic app! (y)

This is a nice panoramic photo at 30 mt. note that I fly in a "clean" area without wifi interference or other disturbances.
But I think a new OTG T1S controller will further improve the signal.

Last edited:
WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater

Hi all,

Last months I have been flying my Tello using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2. It's a great piece of hardware that allowed me flying farther and safer.

View attachment 3268

But recently I have noticed about WIFI+S Range Extender. I bought one of them and gave it a try. I'm pleasantly surprised. It performed very well, better than Xiami. I would like to share my experiences and invite you doing the same.

View attachment 3269

Firs of all, "WIFI+S Range Extender" is sold under different brands and commercial names, for example "Enyu USB Wi-Fi Range Extender", "KOBWA WIFI Extender", "Pix-Link WIFI Extender", etc.. All of them is the same hardware. You can download a PDF Quick Start Guide from here:

https://fccid.io/2AJRQ-ME300RE/User-Manual/User-Manual-3134110.pdf

Externally WIFI+S Extender is bigger, heavier and heats up more than Xiaomi Repeater. This makes it more uncomfortable to use, but all these characteristics indicate that it is more powerful.

I tested both into a well know urban environment I use to flight often, under moderate wifi interference. I tried to be fair. Same conditions, same takeoff point, same route, even same WIFI channel (I tested it using Wifi Analyzer app).

Both flights were at Fixed bitrate 1mb/s and 0 iframe interval.

I clearly got double performance from WIFI+S Range Extender than Xiami WIFI Repeater.

Let me show you some numbers:

sinking 90db to 70db

sinking 70db to 40db

sinking 40db to 10db

Max Distance

Xiami WIFI Repeater

38 mt

134 mt

138 mt

148 mt

WIFI+S Range Extender

180 mt

289 mt

unreached

291 mt

Here an screen capture max distance achieved using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater:

View attachment 3270

Here an screen capture max distance achieved using WIFI+S Range Extender:

View attachment 3271

I hope I will perform further tests in the next future

I'll keep you informed

Raul.
I had a new personal best with my Tello a few months ago at 3,072 feet with the rig in the photos. I am planning to add 2-2watt power boosters to get out to a mile. See this post My personal range record

Because this Tello with old firmware has a few nice features:
It is much faster in slow mode, it has better attitude angles in low altitude, Sport mode seems unaffected by altitude, and the best thing: More flight time!
My first flight with this Tello the drone initated autolanding once but this can be cancelled. After cancellation it does not enforce autolanding a few seconds later like the current firmware does. It just keeps flying until it starts to behave erratically at around 2% battery.
Cool !

I noticed using new firmware v01.04.91.01 (dated 2019-05-16) keeps flying up to 4% battery

See here Firmware update

Best regards

Raul.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater

Hi all,

Last months I have been flying my Tello using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2. It's a great piece of hardware that allowed me flying farther and safer.

View attachment 3268

But recently I have noticed about WIFI+S Range Extender. I bought one of them and gave it a try. I'm pleasantly surprised. It performed very well, better than Xiami. I would like to share my experiences and invite you doing the same.

View attachment 3269

Firs of all, "WIFI+S Range Extender" is sold under different brands and commercial names, for example "Enyu USB Wi-Fi Range Extender", "KOBWA WIFI Extender", "Pix-Link WIFI Extender", etc.. All of them is the same hardware. You can download a PDF Quick Start Guide from here:

https://fccid.io/2AJRQ-ME300RE/User-Manual/User-Manual-3134110.pdf

Externally WIFI+S Extender is bigger, heavier and heats up more than Xiaomi Repeater. This makes it more uncomfortable to use, but all these characteristics indicate that it is more powerful.

I tested both into a well know urban environment I use to flight often, under moderate wifi interference. I tried to be fair. Same conditions, same takeoff point, same route, even same WIFI channel (I tested it using Wifi Analyzer app).

Both flights were at Fixed bitrate 1mb/s and 0 iframe interval.

I clearly got double performance from WIFI+S Range Extender than Xiami WIFI Repeater.

Let me show you some numbers:

sinking 90db to 70db

sinking 70db to 40db

sinking 40db to 10db

Max Distance

Xiami WIFI Repeater

38 mt

134 mt

138 mt

148 mt

WIFI+S Range Extender

180 mt

289 mt

unreached

291 mt

Here an screen capture max distance achieved using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater:

View attachment 3270

Here an screen capture max distance achieved using WIFI+S Range Extender:

View attachment 3271

I hope I will perform further tests in the next future

I'll keep you informed

Raul.

Thanks for the info, but the KOBWA is no longer available. Do you know of any others?
Sincerely,
Mrstacey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv