Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

I have both and surely wifi + s has the advantage of being configured by a web browser and two external and larger antennas.
but i still have to test this wifi + s well

Dear Tello friends.
Please dont waste your time on this thread if you want wifi+s extender.
Having just read all 14 pages it appears there is no proof any of these devices are better than the Xiaomi WiFi Repeater 2.
Some comments by users believing "double the range" but without any proof whatsoever. Better video but again no proof.
Xiaomi WiFi Repeater 2. Is the goto device. Personally I can get close to 300 meters using mi2 and I will stand corrected if someone can show me 500 meters using other wifi+s usb adapter.
Finally I find it bizarre that these devices are disappearing (wifi+s) I suspect because they are garbage and nobody buys them. Production ceased.
Your opinion. I give mine:

Xiaomi mi is inferior. Why?

1) there seems to be a vast difference in production quality. I have seen repeaters that manage 100m, barely more than my phone. I have also seen >500m but you never know what you will get.
2)There are batches of Xiaomis that simply forget their network settings. I have one that resets itself after about 24h. Again, notreally an indicator of product quality
3) Then you have to set up again, which requires a big app, internet access, an account with Xiaomi, some knowledge (china mainland) and basically luck, because sometimes this devices just isn't found for no reason. The internet is full of problems about the setup process for this device.
4) Which brings me to the app: Its a huge app that will only run if you give it permissions to do whatever it wants. It reads your call history, contacts, your network passwords, your network and location history and a ton of other things and "synchronizes" them with chinese servers, of course only to provide you a perfect user experience. It tries to read all kind of files on your device, and constantly chats with chinese servers. Do I want my data stored in china where the idea of data privacy does not even exist? Nope
Now one could do the setup with a fake account on an old junk mobile, but how do you re-do the setup on a field trip after Xiaomi lost its settings?

5) range. I don't see any significant difference between wifi +s and Xiaomi (and I have used both in similar conditions, on the same day). Both easily did 300m which is the limit of my flying area. The wifi +s seems to have similar punch but better reception quality. But I never do any videos so I don't have proof of that. Its not important anyway as I don't care about +-50m. I want signal penetration so I don't loose connection on the other side of a house or tree.

Is the Xiaomi the "goto device"? Heck no, its just the cheapest one that is easily available. IMO its the worst choice and people should only use it if they can't find alternatives. Anyone looking for a good solution should check out the wifi +s or other repeaters. Some may still have a "Xiaomi Nano Youth" which is far superior in all aspects except time to reconnect.

The only reason to get a Xiaomi? Because everyone does! "Millions of flies can't be wrong: Poo tastes yummy!"

Millions if fliers go for the mi2, proving beyond any doubt its the best all round adapter.

Millions if fliers go for the mi2, proving beyond any doubt its the best all round adapter.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you are trying to give advice on a subject you seem to know very little about. I guess it's the device you have and people tend to defend their choices. I have both (and several others) and the Xiaomi is the worst for the reasons stated.

BTW: I just remembered another reason against the Xiaomi: recent changes in the app require the wifi to be encrypted. Not smart for a toy drone as handshakes to re-establish an encrypted connection are more complex and more likely to fail over weak links.

The Xiaomi may work for you and you may conclude it's a great device, but compared to other devices it's the one to avoid.
Enough said, not interested in a fight.

Reactions: raulvolador
I came here wondering if there was better than mi2, after reading everything here my opinion is that there is not, there might be but testing and proof by 1 or 2 fliers does not convince me, I dont feel a discovery on performance has been established and instead I find people looking for ways to criticize the mi2, show me a USB adapter that can push the range to 500m with decent video etc, similar in size to mi2 and I will be first to buy and test. My hunt for this illusive device is not found in these 15 pages. Thanks.

The answer has been given a few times but you refuse to understand: the wifi +s is better.
Range is similar so not a reason to buy one or the other. Everything else the Wifi +s is far superior.

The answer has been given a few times but you refuse to understand: the wifi +s is better.
Range is similar so not a reason to buy one or the other. Everything else the Wifi +s is far superior.
Sorry but a few anecdotal comments on the wifi+s being FAR superior is not proof. Why am I in no rush to go out and buy anything mentioned in this thread? The reason is because they are not far superior. Some people struggle to get it connected (mi2) but once you realise you dont need the xiaomi app to complete the setup and instead simply choose the "name_plus" from your phones wifi available networks then you are good to go without following youtube videos for step by step and failing at the final hurdle. My opinion is that this is the superior device. Works flawless for me and no complaints.

Curious about this small object and I ordered one of these 2.4 ghz wifi scanners. I think it could also be useful for the little Tello .... check the amount of wifi in the flight areas ..

Attachments

• 9706af28-6f54-4172-b1e7-d75936c8932d.jpg
    9706af28-6f54-4172-b1e7-d75936c8932d.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Dhw8SVtXkAInhLU.jpeg
    Dhw8SVtXkAInhLU.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Dhw8VLqWsAcxRiR.jpeg
    Dhw8VLqWsAcxRiR.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 17
Hello guys, that thread got a lot of attention and I hope that I will not offend people on doing some publicity on a thread that I have started that is related to the range mods discuss here. It is about using a LTE network adapter on the TELLO. If you want to join in your all welcome. My apologies again.

Regards

Reactions: HARI300677
WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater

Hi all,

Last months I have been flying my Tello using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2. It's a great piece of hardware that allowed me flying farther and safer.

View attachment 3268

But recently I have noticed about WIFI+S Range Extender. I bought one of them and gave it a try. I'm pleasantly surprised. It performed very well, better than Xiami. I would like to share my experiences and invite you doing the same.

View attachment 3269

Firs of all, "WIFI+S Range Extender" is sold under different brands and commercial names, for example "Enyu USB Wi-Fi Range Extender", "KOBWA WIFI Extender", "Pix-Link WIFI Extender", etc.. All of them is the same hardware. You can download a PDF Quick Start Guide from here:

https://fccid.io/2AJRQ-ME300RE/User-Manual/User-Manual-3134110.pdf

Externally WIFI+S Extender is bigger, heavier and heats up more than Xiaomi Repeater. This makes it more uncomfortable to use, but all these characteristics indicate that it is more powerful.

I tested both into a well know urban environment I use to flight often, under moderate wifi interference. I tried to be fair. Same conditions, same takeoff point, same route, even same WIFI channel (I tested it using Wifi Analyzer app).

Both flights were at Fixed bitrate 1mb/s and 0 iframe interval.

I clearly got double performance from WIFI+S Range Extender than Xiami WIFI Repeater.

Let me show you some numbers:

sinking 90db to 70db

sinking 70db to 40db

sinking 40db to 10db

Max Distance

Xiami WIFI Repeater

38 mt

134 mt

138 mt

148 mt

WIFI+S Range Extender

180 mt

289 mt

unreached

291 mt

Here an screen capture max distance achieved using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater:

View attachment 3270

Here an screen capture max distance achieved using WIFI+S Range Extender:

View attachment 3271

I hope I will perform further tests in the next future

I'll keep you informed

Raul.

Hi Tello Expert,

I would like to buy a WIFI+S Range Extender but I can't login with browser by "usbwifi.cn". The server seems died...

How can I do to setup WIFI+S Range Extender without logoin usbwifi.cn ?

Thank you.

NK

Attachments

• Manual.png
    Manual.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 17
Hi Tello Expert,

I would like to buy a WIFI+S Range Extender but I can't login with browser by "usbwifi.cn". The server seems died...

How can I do to setup WIFI+S Range Extender without logoin usbwifi.cn ?

Thank you.

NK

I wrote a manual about proper setup of this device here:

Please try it with these steps.

I wrote a manual about proper setup of this device here:

Please try it with these steps.

Thank you.

I think "WIFI+S" is better than "PIX-LINK"

WIFI+S(CE: <20dBm FCC: <30dBm )
PIX-LINK(20dBm)

(Choice1) WiFi+S:
AMPLIFICATORE WIFI USB 300 MBPS 2.4 GHZ 2 ANTENNE WIRELESS RIPETITORE PC | eBay
It is Italy version(belong to FCC,30dBm)

(Choice2) PIX-LINK:
I only seen 20dBm version

I prefer to buy WiFi+S with higher power range. How can I solve login problem with usbwifi.cn ?

Any good ideas?

Attachments

• WiFi+S.png
    WiFi+S.png
    378.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PIX-LINK.png
    PIX-LINK.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 23
usbwifi.cn is not a real internet server. Its an embedded server of the wifi extender and only available once you are connected to the extender

I have heard of this problem, and it has been resolved by changing the browser.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv