Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Xiaomi Repeater onBoard Tello mod

@Customerx,

Could you explain me how your mod joins to Tello ?

I noticed Xiomi board is not centered over Tello's frame. Under these conditions Center Of Gravity could moves backwards. Is there any reason for that ?

It scares me electronic devices into Xiaomi Repeater have no protection. A little bump and it could break. That's the reason I protected it using heat shrink tube.

Raul.

I have a Lego connector. Sits over frame. They are about a fiver from eBay. Then a thin Lego brick glued to the battery and glued to the repeater.

The Lego pieces separate. Enabling to put on or off easily. It isn't centred, well done eagle eye lol this is because I have additional components to add to this for my new mod and I have already worked out positioning. :)

Reactions: raulvolador
Also the main reason I chose to keep the receiver part as far back as possible was to reduce interference as much as I could. After reading that being so close to the TELLOs own WiFi could affect signal. Don't know how true that is but considered it.

The build I'm making will eventually be enclosed, I'm at a prototyping stage you could say ATM. If you've seen my earlier pic with all the GPS stuff on it you'd definitely have Me on the weight issue lol with electronics I've found breadboarding and placement suits me best. :)

Could you give me more details about your Lego mount ? It's hard to me understand how can you mount that hardware not hitting propellers.

I'm on-board now too! Pun intended. My first flight was awesome. Amazing the difference. I just stripped the extender down and mounted it vertical for testing. I assume I won't get quite the distance when mounted horizontally. What I am super pleased with is the improvement while turning. This is where its at. My flight time was 8 min. but worth it for me. Anyone tried 3 extenders yet? I have a third one and will see if it works...Maybe Plus Plus Plus! :) lol

Reactions: Customerx
My hope, although small, is I can get the signal from living room->outside>tello ;) Thats what I've been using the first 2 for. BTW Two questions. Either of you tried disconnecting Tello antennas for less interference? Would attaching an external antenna to the MI help also? Maybe I missed it in your posts.

If you improve base station that will help on distance also.

Hmmmm flying from your sofa lol how far. It's mainly Los for signal but it can be done, sure of that. I'll think on that one :)
Disconnecting the TELLO aerials is a no no, it still uses these, even tho we have the repeaters.

Hi,

I'm really happy with this mod. It performs so good that it's on the way to becoming permanent into my Tello.

Recently I had opportunity to testing onBoard mod wifi reconection time. I was afraid it took a long time due two different repeaters involved in wifi radio link.

That day I felt very brave :cool: and performed a risky flight about 300 meters away into residential area full of WIFI interference. I was a bit careless maneuvering in high speed mode, as a result I lost wifi connection. As you can see WIFI signal indicator droped from 90db to 0db in a moment.

283m 0db.jpg

It was a bit scary moment, but I realized I had lost visual line of sight with Tello. I reacted by picking up the repeater and lifting it with my hand until reconection happend. I had the pleasant surprise reconection time was quite similar to non-modded tello, about 25 seconds.

By the way, I could safety back home and land :sneaky:

I hope it helps.

Raul.

Mines so permanent it's glued on unfortunately due to fat fingers and failing eyesight the battery is now permanent too, oooops lol

Reactions: xcrost
Hi,

I'm really happy with this mod. It performs so good that it's on the way to becoming permanent into my Tello.

Recently I had opportunity to testing onBoard mod wifi reconection time. I was afraid it took a long time due two different repeaters involved in wifi radio link.

That day I felt very brave :cool: and performed a risky flight about 300 meters away into residential area full of WIFI interference. I was a bit careless maneuvering in high speed mode, as a result I lost wifi connection. As you can see WIFI signal indicator droped from 90db to 0db in a moment.

View attachment 3720

It was a bit scary moment, but I realized I had lost visual line of sight with Tello. I reacted by picking up the repeater and lifting it with my hand until reconection happend. I had the pleasant surprise reconection time was quite similar to non-modded tello, about 25 seconds.

By the way, I could safety back home and land :sneaky:

I hope it helps.

Raul.
Lost mine :( Was getting too brave. I was ~250m away, sitting down, wearing goggles, having a blast. I suddenly lost signal in a area that is normally OK. I guess someone turned on their microwave or something. I could still barely hear tello in the distance but it stopped a few seconds later before I could get worthwhile orientation. Oh well live and learn. I will still be using this mod. but... What is your experience? If one extender is used do you "slowly" lose signal as distance increases vs. sudden death with 2 extenders?
I found a deal on a new Tello mine had cracked frame..was very abused. Time for new one anyway lol

• Wow
No but still plan on it. I want to have 2 just in case lol Sam's had a deal but sold out. :(

Lost mine :( Was getting too brave. I was ~250m away, sitting down, wearing goggles, having a blast. I suddenly lost signal in a area that is normally OK. I guess someone turned on their microwave or something. I could still barely hear tello in the distance but it stopped a few seconds later before I could get worthwhile orientation. Oh well live and learn. I will still be using this mod. but... What is your experience? If one extender is used do you "slowly" lose signal as distance increases vs. sudden death with 2 extenders?
I found a deal on a new Tello mine had cracked frame..was very abused. Time for new one anyway lol
Wow you could heard tello 250m out!? I can hear nothing when it is 10m out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv