Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

400m flight distance with MI WIFI repeater and reflectors

CamFlyer

Reaction score
I bought a cheap signal reflector from China sold for other drones and mounted it to my Xiaomi WIFI repeater and did a quick test flight. The repeater was not aligned quite right, about 15° to the left. The last 150m I flew backwards for better reception. The Video stream was not stable and there where other glitches with the VPS and at the end my phone disconnected the WIFI !

To fly I use a Gamesir T1s connected via USB to the phone.

Interesting video. Not bad.

Observations:
  • The repeater should be placed between you and the drone; not lateral of your position, for better reception.
  • Was the phone in Airplane Mode?
  • You appear to be screen recording and video recording which chews up bandwidth back to your phone.
  • Is your phone set to battery saver mode at 50%? Could impact/reduce wireless performance.
  • Tello battery appears to drain quickly. 20% in the first minute. Ditch the prop guards if they're on.
  • USM Modular Furniture - must be near Münsingen, Switzerland

The repeater should be placed between you and the drone; not lateral of your position, for better reception.

I was not shure what should be the best placement and so I decided deliberately to be on the side (90°) so my signal path is different than the one of the drone.

• Was the phone in Airplane Mode?
  • You appear to be screen recording and video recording which chews up bandwidth back to your phone.
  • Is your phone set to battery saver mode at 50%? Could impact/reduce wireless performance.

No, no Airplane or battery saver mode active. And the screen-recording with 720p localy is no problem for the Samsung Galaxy S8.

And yes, that's exactly at the USM factory.

I bought a cheap signal reflector from China sold for other drones and mounted it to my Xiaomi WIFI repeater and did a quick test flight. The repeater was not aligned quite right, about 15° to the left. The last 150m I flew backwards for better reception. The Video stream was not stable and there where other glitches with the VPS and at the end my phone disconnected the WIFI !

Very interesting testing, @CamFlyer

Could you share more details about that signal reflector and/or shopping link for it ?

I tried with homemade ones some months ago, but not very satisfied. See:

Here, a homemade reflector for Xiaomi repeater: WIFI reflector for improving Tello range using Xiaomi WIFI repeater

Here, a homemade reflector for Wifi+S extender: Parabolic Reflector for WIFI+S Range Extender

Best regards

Raul
------

Could you share more details about that signal reflector and/or shopping link for it ?

The exact offer exists anymore. Title was : XIAO MI FIMI X8 SE MI 4K A3 Drone Remote Controller Signal Booster Two Pieces Antenna Range Extender Signal Booster Accessories
I found a similar product: US $3.99 |STARTRC XIAO MI FIMI X8 SE MI 4K A3 Remote Controller Signal Booster transmitter For FIMI X8 SE MI 4K A3 Accessories-in Remote Control from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
The important features are the rubber band that make it flexible to use with different antenna sizes and even the Mi repeater 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv