Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

About to become a Tello owner

ruanp28

Reaction score
Hi there from Alberta, Canada. I have decided to buy a Tello to get into drones. AS far as I have read, this little drone is great for beginners.

I am going to buy the boost combo (black friday sale for 129 CAD) today, very stoked!

What would you guys recommend I get for the Tello first? I do have a ps4 and xbox one controller, so I will probably try to hook one of them up.

What else would you recommend? The combo comes with an external charger and 3 batteries and some extra props.

I see that the Tello does not use an SD card for storage, so I assume I won't need one? I have a 256 GB iPhone so I am sorted on storage there...

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello from Germany.
Boost combo is definitely a good decision.
As Controller the Gamesir T1s connected by OTG cable with your phone is a good solution as then you can get rid of the bluetooth connection. Improves Wifi signal quality and video stability.
Also a Wifi extender is an important thing to have more fun when going farer than 10-30 meters away with the Tello. And try TelloFPV instead of the Stock Tello App as this App gets much more features out of the little thing.
That's it what I would recommend to starters.
Have fun and good flights.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . (y)

It’s worth getting an android phone and TelloFPV. Just a spare with no SIM card

And avoid flying over water - or be prepared for unexpected drifts and descents if you do

Thanks guys, appreciate all the tips! I flew it indoors tonight just to test it, will try to take it out tomorrow at the park :D Super excited.

I use a discarded Samsung Galaxy S6 for my flights. This device has as well already enough pixel density for VR flights

Reactions: umanbean
I use a discarded Samsung Galaxy S6 for my flights. This device has as well already enough pixel density for VR flights
Good advice, get at least an S6.

I bought an S5 off of eBay for 80 because at the time I had no interest in VR.... now I do and the low pixel density makes the image look coarse. I'm saving up for an S7 now.... high pixel count, SD card slot, and if you're handy you can swap the battery out if needed... down to about 100 - 120 on eBay now.

I used my wife’s old Sony Experia, it’s 6 years old and works fine. The original app is best with an iOS device really smooth, but the TelloFPV app lets you export the pictures and videos and has extra features

but the TelloFPV app lets you export the pictures and videos and has extra features
Not to forget to mention: One additional very valuable feature is also excellent support on TelloFPV App issues from the developer himself - he is also a user of this forum ;)

Hi Ruan, I’m a Tello pilot as well for almost 3 months now. If you have not bought the remote control for Tello I suggest you not to, cause I’m a Mavic Mini pilot as well as of this month (turns out I am so into drone lyfe :))

Tello is great for learning, but once you get the hang of it you’ll want to fly higher than just 30 meters, into the wind, and further with better video quality.

You might wanna checkout some footage I got from my Tello, got some cinematic moves in FPV mode as well:

Richard Gunawan

Hi Ruan, I’m a Tello pilot as well for almost 3 months now. If you have not bought the remote control for Tello I suggest you not to, cause I’m a Mavic Mini pilot as well as of this month (turns out I am so into drone lyfe :))

Tello is great for learning, but once you get the hang of it you’ll want to fly higher than just 30 meters, into the wind, and further with better video quality.

You might wanna checkout some footage I got from my Tello, got some cinematic moves in FPV mode as well:

Richard Gunawan
wow great videos you've got there, congrats!!!

Reactions: RichardGunawan
wow great videos you've got there, congrats!!!

Richard Gunawan

Hey Richard, if I read correctly you mean I should not buy the controller and just upgrade to the mini?

Hey Richard, if I read correctly you mean I should not buy the controller and just upgrade to the mini?

Not necessarily upgrade to Mini, but I don't find flying Tello with controller is worth it since you'll always fly Tello in sight.

GameSir T1d Controller (the most common RC for Tello) will cost you around $45, which is almost half the price of the Tello itself.

But surely, having RC is a different flight experience, if you still consider having one I do find 1 other brand which is TOMAT S1D offered at $27:

Amazon.com: tello controller

So how do you find flying Tello so far?

Oh you mentioned having PS4 and Xbox One controller, is it compatible?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv