Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Adding a second camera using a Raspberry Pi Zero

Multipla Studios

Reaction score
Hey other Users. I am currently trying to put a Raspi Zero w with the Zero cam on the raspberry Pi, to make lag-less full HD videos, facing down. I will show you video footage and how I did it when it works!

Reactions: spamaro
Okay the video is a catastroph because I forgot to recalibrate the Tello before. I will do it again tomorrow and will upload a much better Version then!

Reactions: xcrost
I am very curious to see the result but also very skeptical about what it will give due to the lack of stabilization. I imagine that the video will have to be stabilised with software before comparing it with that of the tello.

I am very curious to see the result but also very skeptical about what it will give due to the lack of stabilization. I imagine that the video will have to be stabilised with software before comparing it with that of the tello.
The Pi cam has got a video stabilizer included. If I stabilize it with Software it would lose the Full HD.

This guy seems to use a self build drone, which is not very well stabilized. The Tello, in good wind conditions and not fast mode, should produce a far better video than this one. And as this one is even better than the Tello video, it should be amazing!
IDK about that being better than Tello. I too, await your tests! If I could recommend using something like sticky tack on the back of the camera for vibration. Clearly lots of jello in that video.

IDK about that being better than Tello. I too, await your tests! If I could recommend using something like sticky tack on the back of the camera for vibration. Clearly lots of jello in that video.
yes that's true, the Raspberry Pi cam is also not the best camera, but at least there won't be any missing frames or pixel salad. But it should be fine if you not fly to fast. The sticky tack is actually a great idea!

yes that's true, the Raspberry Pi cam is also not the best camera, but at least there won't be any missing frames or pixel salad. But it should be fine if you not fly to fast. The sticky tack is actually a great idea!
Try using a Wifi extender AND TelloFPV app if you haven't already. No skipped frames or salad lol. Of course this also depends on distance, interference and the video settings used in Tello FPV. :)

Try using a Wifi extender AND TelloFPV app if you haven't already. No skipped frames or salad lol. Of course this also depends on distance, interference and the video settings used in Tello FPV. :)
That's exactly what i already do, but I like flying further away :)

Also awaiting the quality of the shots.

BTW: Found the info about Pi Zero W used as AP and client at the same time just with the onboard wifi chip.
Simultaneous AP & Client on the Pi Zero W

So with some effort on the programming side this could be a way to get EIS stabilized video recording without (m)any frameskips.
that sounds a bit complicated.
Sadly you will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon, because I will be home at half past 4 :(
but then I will immediatly make the video!

I'm sorry but it is far too windy today and I don't want to lose the Tello in the Neighbors Garden. Sadly I won't have got time to try it until Sunday or Monday, but I will do it as soon as possible...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv