Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android testers needed.

I am sorry the t1d is not yet supported since it requires an sdk.

How is the feed buggy? Video breakup or it doesnt work at all?
Video is choppy. Down speed to 1MB is a little better.

Last edited:
hi,
I have tested yesterday with my yotaphone 2. it work fine,
juste the video quality is not the same than the oficial app.
gooood job. :)

for me the videos are too rapid in vlc and at good speed in mx player but very compressed with pixels.
not the same quality tant the standard appli

It works well with Sony Z3 Tablet Compact Android 6 + DualShock 4 (BT). However I can't covert video - it crashes on button press.

for me the videos are too rapid in vlc and at good speed in mx player but very compressed with pixels.
not the same quality tant the standard appli
Just found out that changing the decoder type from HW to HW+ solves the speed issue in MX player. Maybe there is a similar setting in VLC.

Working fine now. The download of the apk from GitHub on my mobile was incomplete. I downloaded it first to pc then to mobile using a USB cable.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

It seems the most serious issue is pci's crash when running the convert. Can anyone else confirm that it does or doesn't crash/work for them?

It seems the most serious issue is pci's crash when running the convert. Can anyone else confirm that it does or doesn't crash/work for them?
No crash for me on p10 lite with android 7.0.

Reactions: Krag
I am going to add this to the readme.

On Video quality
The Tello has a very good camera and takes good pictures, but the video feed is a letdown. The compression is high and the WIFI signal is weak leading to video breakup and lost frames. aTello uses the same video feed as the official app. And so all things being equal the video quality should be the same. That said here are a few things that are not equal. Edit. Video quality is not as good as stock app. I am looking into why.

Given the inherent low quality video my approach to the video feed is to maximize the user experience while flying the drone as opposed to make the recorded video look as good as possible. To that end:

-By default aTello uses a 4:3 aspect ratio and a video resolution of 960x720. The official app records video only at 16x9 1280x720. You can switch to 16x9 mode in aTello by holding the onscreen camera button down for a moment. This will result in the video being cropped the same as the official app and will apparently increase the compression quality since less there is less of the frame to compress.

-The official app chooses to drop frames when it encounters an error resulting in a black or frozen frame. aTello will draw the frame even if there are errors. This means you will get a frame with some amount of garbage instead of black. In some cases this is unnoticeable and in others it results in a mess. I think it is a desirable trade-off.

-You can potentially improve the video quality by adjusting the Video bit rate and iFrame interval in the settings. A lower bitrate should help with lost frames or corrupted frames at the expense of quality. A higher iFrame rate will allow it to recover from bad frames faster but will again cost some quality.

Last edited:
I take it back. After testing, the quality of the video on the stock Tello is a lot better. I am looking into why now.

for me the video conversion crash.
the quality of video in stock tello is good (I will test with a wifi extender to increase frame rate) and with aTello, the video is more "stable" but all time pixelised (like à big compression). and I don't understand the ratio différence. if the stock app have a 1280*720 wy aTello have only 960*720?
but real good development. :) thanks !!!

Additional observations:
* During the flight video is not scaled to full screen but fills only 960x720 on the screen. Is it possible to make a full screen mode like in Kragrathea/TelloLib

* If I move the virtual joysticks (blue circles) really far from center gray circles jump and crop (I know virtual joystick is for debug purposes only)

* If i connect controller after the application start virtual joystick remains visible

* With Ps4 controller the button mapping doesn't work for take off, landing and flips.

Last edited:
Hi, it would be great if you could add a HDR photo mode in the app. So that the drone will take 3 photos in quick succession 1 normal, 1 underexposed and 1 overexposed. These can be combined to a HDR photo. See example, photo 1 normal exposure, photo 2 overexposed, photo 3 HDR result.

Attachments

• 1527246401193.jpg
    1527246401193.jpg
    948.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1527246387539.jpg
    1527246387539.jpg
    890.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1527246360779_HDR.jpg
    1527246360779_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: Rob63

I only tried it a couple of times (on 0.5) but had no issues.
I take it back. After testing, the quality of the video on the stock Tello is a lot better. I am looking into why now.
That would explain why the aTello app seemed to make smaller video files than the official app.
But I wonder why this is the case, seeing as it's capturing the raw feed. Maybe the official app does some postprocessing on the image?

I am still looking into why the video quality is low. The video is about 1/4 the size it should be.

for me the video conversion crash.
if the stock app have a 1280*720 wy aTello have only 960*720?
I will have a new version soon that will hopefully help track down the conversion crash.

Additional observations:
* During the flight video is not scaled to full screen but fills only 960x720 on the screen. Is it possible to make a full screen mode like in Kragrathea/TelloLib
* With Ps4 controller the button mapping doesn't work for take off, landing and flips.
Video is the same as in that screen shot. You see more of the view in 960x720. Its the same on the stock app. Flip between pic and video modes and you will see. It is square and does not fill the screen because it would crop the view. The point is to have the entire view on the screen when you are flying rather than cropping to fill the way the stock app does.
I don't have a ps4 controller but land button (options I think) was tested by someone. are you holding it down? For flips make sure you are holding either L2 or R2

Hi, it would be great if you could add a HDR photo mode in the app. So that the drone will take 3 photos in quick succession 1 normal, 1 underexposed and 1 overexposed. These can be combined to a HDR photo. See example, photo 1 normal exposure, photo 2 overexposed, photo 3 HDR result.
I can add exposure bracketing (taking the images) but combining them into an HDR would have to be done by another program.

Here are some screen shots that show the different aspects.

Tello-Picture.jpgaTello-NormalAspect.JPGTello-Video.JPG

Note how much of the image is cropped out in the stock full screen one.

You can also see that the video quality of the stock app is better. Look at the detail in the trees.

Hey there Krag. I am interested to test this, im currently using samsung galaxy s8+ Android 8.0.0. Would you mind sparing me the details?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv