Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android testers needed.

The virtual joysticks only show up when there isn't a joystick connected.

Okay seems like a bug on my phone then, as I don't have any joysticks connected.

Anyway, virtual joysticks DO show up when I change lines 647 and 648 in MainActivity.cs to ViewStates.Visible. For some reason current_device_id is set to "2" even though I have NO joystick devices connected.

Could not repro in other emulator that I tried, so I'm guessing it's not a common issue. But an easy workaround may be to add a "Always Show Virtual Joysticks" toggle switch in settings.

Last edited:
Okay seems like a bug on my phone then, as I don't have any joysticks connected.

Anyway, virtual joysticks DO show up when I change lines 647 and 648 in MainActivity.cs to ViewStates.Visible. For some reason current_device_id is set to "2" even though I have NO joystick devices connected.

Could not repro in other emulator that I tried, so I'm guessing it's not a common issue. But an easy workaround may be to add a "Always Show Virtual Joysticks" toggle switch in settings.
Its cool you are able to compile it. I'll add the setting. Unless you want to do it. :)

I also tried compiled with with the lower 4.1 sdk and it works fine. So that will be in the next release.

Reactions: fish312
I did a little testing today. Used 0.9 on an Axon 7 with a "moga pro" bluetooth controller in HID mode. Both control sticks worked great with minimal lag, although none of the buttons did anything. As expected, the video feed wasn't as high quality as the official app. Additionally, I couldn't figure out how to switch to 'fast' mode in atello - I was limited to the slow indoor-type speeds.

Hi, created an account just to post this.

I downloaded both versions 0.7 and 0.8 but was unable to install them on my phone, with the error "Parse Error: There was a problem while parsing the package." Suspect it's due to the fact that my phone's probably a bit dated. Tried installing over adb and it failed with [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

I'm using Android JellyBean (4.3) on Samsung Galaxy S4. Any way for me to get this working on my phone?
I had the same problem. Make sure that you have downloaded the entire package. Version 0.7 should be 14,48Mb. I first downloaded the package using my pc then copied it to my mobile.

I did a little testing today. Used 0.9 on an Axon 7 with a "moga pro" bluetooth controller in HID mode. Both control sticks worked great with minimal lag, although none of the buttons did anything. As expected, the video feed wasn't as high quality as the official app. Additionally, I couldn't figure out how to switch to 'fast' mode in atello - I was limited to the slow indoor-type speeds.
Did you try setting the joystick type in the settings? It might be a ps3/4 type. If not download the GamePad Tester app and see if your buttons match.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chiarly.gamepad&hl=en_US

There is only a speed button on the controller right now. I will have to add something to the UI.

Can you take a shot with video? I assume it only comes down to the bar? And it is always tinted red like that?
I put a new version (0.91) up for testing. It should fix @pci video scale issue and I added an option to display the onscreen joysticks always. Its in the testing versions folder here:

aTello test versions
It is much better now. However there are sometimes small vertical displacements visible. Unfortunately I can't provide a screenshot because it happens irregular.

The problem with virtual joystick is still present. Also connection status is not always shown properly. You can also see in the first screenshot some video compression artefacs even though WiFi signals trength is 90. Version 0.7 didn't had these.
Screenshot_20180529-072703.png

Screenshot_20180529-090850.png

Last edited:
Its cool you are able to compile it. I'll add the setting. Unless you want to do it. :)

I also tried compiled with with the lower 4.1 sdk and it works fine. So that will be in the next release.

Haha you can go ahead and add it. I'm not too familiar with Xamarin to be honest, just managed to get it working :)

Anyway I just tried 0.91 and it is working excellent, in fact I will probably replace my official Tello app with aTello.

Last edited:
Shame i'm not using android, this app looks awesome. I still have a suggestion for the app though :)

I noticed that image stabilisation gets disabled when using fast-mode. This also causes alot of videofootage to appear (the stabilizer software really bites off a large chunk of the videofeed). So is it possible to disable it in slowmode too? So you can use your own software to stabilise it without biting off 30%? of the videofootage.

Shame i'm not using android, this app looks awesome. I still have a suggestion for the app though :)

I noticed that image stabilisation gets disabled when using fast-mode. This also causes alot of videofootage to appear (the stabilizer software really bites off a large chunk of the videofeed). So is it possible to disable it in slowmode too? So you can use your own software to stabilise it without biting off 30%? of the videofootage.
I think so. There is an EIS setting I never could figure out the point of. I guess that is what it is for.

It is much better now. However there are sometimes small vertical displacements visible. Unfortunately I can't provide a screenshot because it happens irregular.

The problem with virtual joystick is still present. Also connection status is not always shown properly. You can also see in the first screenshot some video compression artefacs even though WiFi signals trength is 90. Version 0.7 didn't had these.

Can you describe the issue with the vertical displacements? And what is the specific problem with the joysticks?

I didn't change anything in the video with that version. Sometimes interference can cause errors even when strength is high.

Xperia z5 compact android 7.1.1 working with a generic gamepad.
v0.91.
when in 4:3 mode it seems not stabilised, after pressing camera button and getting 16:9 aspect ratio it seems stabilised. (only lifted it up in a room, cannot tell if fast or slow mode).
is there any visual confirmation that fast/slow mode is on?

also, as a bug, when filming, if i press camera button it clicks, but does not record photo? just installed it, and playing with it.

lost connection once, it regained it in a couple of seconds, but kept spinning (i was spinning when it lost connection). first time it happened to me, is this also what the stock app does?

Can you describe the issue with the vertical displacements? And what is the specific problem with the joysticks?

I didn't change anything in the video with that version. Sometimes interference can cause errors even when strength is high.
The problem with the joysticks is good recognizable on provided screenshots. If you move blue circle extremely outside then the gray circle moves also and you have some crop effects.

With vertical displacements I mean that then video window sometimes is smaller than the height of the screen. The size seems to be exactly the space between bottom of the network status area (NSA) and top of the aircraft status area (ASA). But it is shifted and slightly overlaps the NSA but doesn't reach the top border of the ASA

Xperia z5 compact android 7.1.1 working with a generic gamepad.
v0.91.
when in 4:3 mode it seems not stabilised, after pressing camera button and getting 16:9 aspect ratio it seems stabilised. (only lifted it up in a room, cannot tell if fast or slow mode).
is there any visual confirmation that fast/slow mode is on?

also, as a bug, when filming, if i press camera button it clicks, but does not record photo? just installed it, and playing with it.

lost connection once, it regained it in a couple of seconds, but kept spinning (i was spinning when it lost connection). first time it happened to me, is this also what the stock app does?
It is probably not stabalized in 4:3 because that is picture mode. As I understand it stabilization is done by cropping the image.

You can tell if you are in fast mode by looking at the HS indicator. It will be red if fast mode.

Yes sometimes it will click without taking a pic. Sorry. If it fails always then something is wrong.

Behavior when connection lost should be the same as stock.

re tested, it indeed sometimes fails to take pics, not linked to filming.
the HS turns red when i press R2, but does not stay in fast mode (do i have to keep r2 on to fly in fast mode?)
also, can you take into consideration for future releases assigning aspect ratio to a button like Y or someting and also a speed toggle if R2 is meant to be held?

If i leave app when i am connected and reopen it (back button or home button), it gets live feed and i can control it, but it says disconnected on top and the video seems really bad. after doing this, when i shut down the tello is speaks "disconnected" three times in a row. if i properly close the app from a task manager it behaves correctly.

on my phone the conversion function does not work, i get an error code
Video Conversion. FAIL:setDataSource
failed: status = 0x80000000

re tested, it indeed sometimes fails to take pics, not linked to filming.
the HS turns red when i press R2, but does not stay in fast mode (do i have to keep r2 on to fly in fast mode?)
also, can you take into consideration for future releases assigning aspect ratio to a button like Y or someting and also a speed toggle if R2 is meant to be held?

If i leave app when i am connected and reopen it (back button or home button), it gets live feed and i can control it, but it says disconnected on top and the video seems really bad. after doing this, when i shut down the tello is speaks "disconnected" three times in a row. if i properly close the app from a task manager it behaves correctly.

on my phone the conversion function does not work, i get an error code
Video Conversion. FAIL:setDataSource
failed: status = 0x80000000
Yes, you hold down R2 to speed up. I think it is the best way to fly, as I go fast and slow frequently depending on the situation. I plan to add an option to toggle speed mode in the UI somewhere.

I probably wont add a aspect ratio option to the joypad because it is something you have to look at the screen for anyway.

The video conversion error helped a lot. I found and fixed the problem and hopefully conversion will work much better in next release.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazyed