Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android testers needed.

I am still looking into why the video quality is low. The video is about 1/4 the size it should be.
One thing I noticed yesterday is that the video quality deteriorated during a flight. It was really good in the first part, but became very pixelated towards the end. The drone was very close during that time, so I would rule out insufficient wifi signal strength.

Hi, created an account just to post this.

I downloaded both versions 0.7 and 0.8 but was unable to install them on my phone, with the error "Parse Error: There was a problem while parsing the package." Suspect it's due to the fact that my phone's probably a bit dated. Tried installing over adb and it failed with [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

I'm using Android JellyBean (4.3) on Samsung Galaxy S4. Any way for me to get this working on my phone?

One thing I noticed yesterday is that the video quality deteriorated during a flight. It was really good in the first part, but became very pixelated towards the end. The drone was very close during that time, so I would rule out insufficient wifi signal strength.
My theory is that you need to tell the drone "something" other wise it assumes the connection is weak and throttles to lowest setting.

minSdkVersion: '21'
targetSdkVersion: '22'

seems like it requires Android Lollipop (5.0+), not sure why though
I think I had to bump it up to that level to get something with the video feed to work. I am not sure how many older phones are out there.

My theory is that you need to tell the drone "something" other wise it assumes the connection is weak and throttles to lowest setting.
That would make sense. It appears that it throttles to low when wifi is weak but does not automatically step up again when wifi gets better.

I think I had to bump it up to that level to get something with the video feed to work. I am not sure how many older phones are out there.

Hi Krag, sadly SGS4 is the newest phone I have.

Anyway, I changed the manifest myself, and can confirm that allowing Android 4.3 (API level 18) is sufficient. The video feed is functional and tello is able to take off and land. Cannot test controls as I don't have a compatible controller.

s4_working.png

Here's a modified apk, signed with a debug key if anyone else wants to try on Android 4.x. Note that you'll be forced to uninstall the original app as the package name is the same.

test-resigned-aTello.aTello.0.8.apk

Edit: Seems like the screenshots you posted show the app having virtual joysticks, but I don't see any. Is that a bug? (v0.8)

Last edited:
ill have a new version soon that will hopefully help track down the conversion crash.

Video is the same as in that screen shot. You see more of the view in 960x720. Its the same on the stock app. Flip between pic and video modes and you will see. It is square and does not fill the screen because it would crop the view. The point is to have the entire view on the screen when you are flying rather than cropping to fill the way the stock app does.
I don't have a ps4 controller but land button (options I think) was tested by someone. are you holding it down? For flips make sure you are holding either L2 or R2
Hello Krag. First of all thank you for really good job.
I mean, that video doesn't max the screen in vertical direction as in the stock app. With Ps4 controller it works in following way: L2+Dpad is for landing. R2+Dpad for taking off. Options button is not functional. No flips are possible.

Just tested version 0.9 and problem with conversion crashes is still there.

Hello Krag. First of all thank you for really good job.
I mean, that video doesn't max the screen in vertical direction as in the stock app. With Ps4 controller it works in following way: L2+Dpad is for landing. R2+Dpad for taking off. Options button is not functional. No flips are possible.
Again if I fill the screen with the video feed it will be cropped. Why would you want less picture zoomed in? When you are flying you need to see as much as possible to keep from bumping into stuff.

Are you setting the joystick type to PS3?

Edit: Seems like the screenshots you posted show the app having virtual joysticks, but I don't see any. Is that a bug? (v0.8)
The virtual joysticks only show up when there isn't a joystick connected.

First off I'm not real tech savy being an old guy. That said I have loaded your latest version on both my LG G5 and my Fire tablet. Both work well in flight modes. The rates on the "sticks" are excellent! I much prefer the take off/land bottons to the button/slide of the original app. Connection is fast and easy. Still can't get the GS t1d to connect. Also cannot find the vids? Would be nice to have the battery in volts, but percentage beats looking at a battery image. I already prefer this over the original. Keep working on it. I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krag
Hi Krag, sadly SGS4 is the newest phone I have.

Anyway, I changed the manifest myself, and can confirm that allowing Android 4.3 (API level 18) is sufficient. The video feed is functional and tello is able to take off and land.
I'll try it. I seem to remember there was some reason it needed to be 5+ but I can't find it.

Again if I fill the screen with the video feed it will be cropped. Why would you want less picture zoomed in? When you are flying you need to see as much as possible to keep from bumping into stuff.

Are you setting the joystick type to PS3?
Sorry for my poor explanation. I mean not filling the screen completely, but scale it in that way, that one dimension is matching the screen size.

ScaleX= screen height / video height
ScaleY= screen width / video width
ScaleVideo = min(ScaleX, ScaleY)

So the picture will be scaled to the max possible size without cropping.

Joystick is set to PS3/PS4

Sorry for my poor explanation. I mean not filling the screen completely, but scale it in that way, that one dimension is matching the screen size.

ScaleX= screen height / video height
ScaleY= screen width / video width
ScaleVideo = min(ScaleX, ScaleY)

So the picture will be scaled to the max possible size without cropping.

Joystick is set to PS3/PS4
That is what I am doing.
https://tellopilots.com/attachments/atello-normalaspect-jpg.437/

I am sorry your joystick doesn't seem to work. It was tested by @javaguy on his ps4 controller and it works correctly on my ps3. Have you got any remappers or anything running.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode