Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

aTello (Android) Development Thread

Hello ,
Last aTello version works good on my Motorola G5 with the joystick Gamesir G3w ( connected directly with its micro USB cable to the G5). The joystick is recognized as generic joystick. Because to OTG port there's no lag in the keys response ?
Thank you Krag for your wonderful software ???
just plug and play?

Hi all, first things first: Big KUDOS to Krag for this excellent app.

I downloaded and tested version 0.96e, one Note3, one Note8, a wifi extender and a Moga Pro BT controller.

Notable observations:
  • on my note3 with stock rom the original App wont deliver proper video (just b&w with some artifacts). aTello video is flawless, just slightly wrong aspect ratio.
  • on my note8 the video feed appears squashed, because the 4:3 original feed is resized to fit the 18:9 screen. A preference to choose the aspect ratio might be nice.
  • The text-to-speech works nicely but the english text might come out very funny on a phone that does not have english set as TTS default.
  • Video stabilisation seems to be not as rock solid as with the orignal app but I need to further test this. Maybe it is just a subjective impression.
  • The Moga Pro controller works just nice \o/ and with sooo much less LAG than using octopus! Yay! Finally.
  • The "speed mode" key (R2) does not work as advertised with the Moga Pro (in HID mode). I need to activate that via touch screen.
  • The "select" button on the Moga Pro triggers a "back" button event in the phone.
  • When starting the Tello, the app seems to fire a strain of events as if all on-screen buttons have been touched several times, although they have not.
  • RTH works very nice. Superb implementation, given the available data. In about 50% of the cases it overshoots a bit (i.e. it goes back beyond the start point). In about 10% it seems the correct home direction gets lost after some flying around and it goes "back" the same distance but in a different direction (encountered this twice yet).
  • The visual lock function does not work yet at all for me.
Suggestions
  • I'd like to second the wish of other users to be able to define a sensitivity curve (or at least choose lin/log mode) for the controller sticks.
  • since RTH already indroduces some kind of track recordig to the app I'd like to suggest creating the possibility to record and play back a few arbitrary maneuvers of up to 30 or 60 seconds. And maybe the possibility to even save them. That would be such a HUGE advantage over the maneuver buttons on the original Tello app!
  • Improvement idea for the last one: Ability to pause and play back maneouvers in headless mode so you could still turn the Tello while it continues to follow its playback route. That way the drone could follow a predefined flying path while you concentrate on getting the correct angle for your videos or pictures! :)
Unfortunately I neither have Windows nor do I use M$ C-Sharp. Otherwise I would probably already get busy creating merge requests :)
that would be awesome

Hello Krag,
I added a panorama function to your aTello 0.96e app. Basically, it shoots 10 photos (36 deg angle step) in circle, that you can stitch together (with dedicated software) to create a panorama.
I'd like to upload (if you give me permission) the modified MainActivity.cs to this forum so (if you want or have time) you can review it and eventually publish on Github.
I tried the compiled apk (implementing the panorama function) in 2 tablets: in the low-end one, it doesn't work (tello rotates continuosly without taking pictures) while, with the other tablet, it seemed to work pretty well.
I'm not an experienced programmer so when/if you'll review the code, I hope you will forgive the "dirty" implementation.

By looking to the latest github source I saw some kind of 'lookAtButton' implementation.
But I can't find this button in the UI (using atello version 0.96).
Is is not available right now?

Very Interesting great App and great work!

Mr Krag, thank you very much for this app.
I am really enjoying not having a 10m height limit and a lot lower framelag, especially in 1M setting.
Quick random feedback after 1 flight;
Pressing Options while not connected kills the app.
Homepoint-height as an option?
Hope you get videomode to work.
I'm now contemplating buying a controller as this app enhances the FPV experience, even on a cheap tablet.

Thanks again

aTello 0.96
Samsung Tab S SM-T700
XBox360 Controller via OTG

Controller works flawlessly without any lag (y)
Video works as well

Reactions: Zeno
The controller worked with the app last night and I'm not sure why - I think it's possible bluetooth had turned on before without me knowing it. I'll have to test more. But, pressing the Start using my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet starts a game controller app on the tablet. L1 does start video recording and I didn't try the other buttons.
could you make it works? i just got the shield controller for my tablet (i dont have the drone yet) but i notice the new controller is bluetooth and universal, the original one was wi-fi direct and only for shield devices
i link my new controller to my oneplus 3t and it works perfect via bluetooth, but tello app dont recognize it, will atello recognize it?

This one has not been updated for a while, maybe the atellopilot and this have the same developer?

he never said this would be free forever.

the name seems to suggest it.

also, im going to get it, 5 bucks for that are you kidding me?

i'm allready saving like 50€ for not having to buy the goddamn only controller that works with the stock program.

Last edited:
are you sure, it sure seems like it. Same name even.
Atello pilot is paid apps, Atello is free thanks to KRAG .see Atello attached file im using that awesome app controller..?Screenshot_2018-08-18-09-22-45-0708208185.pngScreenshot_2018-08-18-09-22-45-0708208185.png

well, the atello program has not had an update in a month, and it got up there from zero at less than that, so its a coinsidence it's named aTello pilot?

the op of this program only told us he wanted help for the BETA, and that can usually mean you are eventually going to go for paid program.

(beta testers get the beta for free, as we have gotten it here)

there is actually no argument here, it does not bother me that you dont see it as i do.

also:

PingguSoft/aTelloPilot
started posting 11 days ago, and the old github for this stopped posting.

there is no reason they could not have made a new ui for the program before going paid in the month they had time to do that.

Last edited:
well, the atello program has not had an update in a month, and it got up there from zero at less than that, so its a coinsidence it's named aTello pilot?

the op of this program only told us he wanted help for the BETA, and that can usually mean you are eventually going to go for paid program.

(beta testers get the beta for free, as we have gotten it here)

there is actually no argument here, it does not bother me that you dont see it as i do.

also:

PingguSoft/aTelloPilot
started posting 11 days ago, and the old github for this stopped posting.

there is no reason they could not have made a new ui for the program before going paid in the month they had time to do that.
Listen Atello pilot and Atello are different.
And the importance it's working on me Atello.best things its free and got home return function that works on me...
And you're the one who don't understand that's the so called agrument you said.
And I'm not using paid program atello pilot,
Im using Atello ??Screenshot_2018-08-18-09-22-45-0708208185.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv