Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Connection lost -help-

hackstergirl

Reaction score
Hello, I was flying today inside my house and I was not far from the drone probably about 6-7 ft away when I lost connection (battery was still full). The drone started drifting and I could not control it from my phone. I tried to grab it with my hand but it crashed against my fish tank and broke a prop.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this or quickly re-acquire the signal/control?
I am a new pilot just got the drone a couple of days ago.
Thanks!

how long were you connected to tello wifi before this happened? possibly your phone changes wifi network automatically if it detects one with internet access against the tello wifi without?

Reactions: umanbean
possibly your phone changes wifi network automatically if it detects one with internet access against the tello wifi without?
Exactly... phones will 'prefer', and switch to, a previously remembered wifi connection which does have internet - over an AP which does not.

Also, the signal from a home Wi-Fi router can interfere with the connection between your phone and Tello.

Hopefully your problem is one of those two situations and you can get it fixed. Good luck

Welcome. Click on "forget" all your previous wifi connections and then connect to the Tello. Also turn of B.T. and go into airplane mode. (You will have to connect with the Tello after turning on airplane mode)

Also if your carpet or floor covering is uniform then the Tello can drift. The light needs to be really bright when flying indoors, a dark portion of the room can cause the drone to drift.

Thank you for the suggestions! When I connected to the Tello I did not forget all the other connections I think that maybe the issue. I still have my old phone I wonder if I can make it a dedicated phone just to fly the Tello and just program the Tello WIFI into it

do not forget to enter flight mode, and re-enable only wifi. Otherwise the drone may drop the wifi because it thinks its broken (no internet) and return to cellular data.

I still have my old phone I wonder if I can make it a dedicated phone just to fly the Tello and just program the Tello WIFI into it
That's exactly what I did. Works really well.

Just connect it to home Wi-Fi long enough to download a couple of apps from Google play - with the same name used on your main phone... then 'forget' the home Wi-Fi network and go flying :)

then 'forget' the home Wi-Fi network and go flying
However sometimes you need internet to receive updates for tello apps or firmware, so it is not necessary to forget the networks, just set the ones not tello-related to not automatically reconnect. Otherwise you again need to insert the wifi password of your regular wifi

However sometimes you need internet to receive updates for tello apps or firmware, so it is not necessary to forget the networks, just set the ones not tello-related to not automatically reconnect. Otherwise you again need to insert the wifi password of your regular wifi

Maybe twice a year for ten minutes it’s worth checking for a Tello update.

Maybe twice a year for ten minutes it’s worth checking for a Tello update.
For Firmwares you might be right, however I remember updates for TelloFPV every couple of days this summer. And hopefully, development is not finished yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wroxel