Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Consistent port drift, twitchy flight

UrbexFlyer

Reaction score
Still getting used to my Tello. One issue I've had is a consistent and aggressive drift to the port side. Almost more than a drift, even. I have to fight it pretty hard. Also it needs SO MUCH LIGHT! I had my living room windows open in broad daylight, with the bright ceiling light on, and it still kept giving me the VPS low light warning.

The other issue I keep running into is that's it's very twitchy. It changes altitude and direction randomly and sometimes looks like it's having a seizure mid-air. I've calibrated the COG and I've done the IMU calibration several times but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Are these issues related to the VPS? Someone mentioned on another thread that it might be the lack of pattern in my carpet? Did I break the drone already?

Drifting and twitchy sounds either like VPS (clean the small hole between the IR emitter/receiver) or transmission interference (put phone in airplane mode).

Also, check for bent props perhaps. Keep us posted.

Drifting and twitchy sounds either like VPS (clean the small hole between the IR emitter/receiver) or transmission interference (put phone in airplane mode).

Also, check for bent props perhaps. Keep us posted.
Will do. That brings up another question... is VPS IR based? Could replacing that IR emitter with a brighter unit help with VPS function without the need for a light mod? Or perhaps using a mounted IR to supplement instead of a visible range light?

The VPS is a combination of the IR emitter/receiver plus the TOF (time of flight) camera to determine horizontal distances & vertical altitudes.

Not sure what the specs or wavelengths are on the IR system. The further challenge, IIRC, would be desoldering/soldering the tiny SMD components on the main board.

The VPS is a combination of the IR emitter/receiver plus the TOF (time of flight) camera to determine horizontal distances & vertical altitudes.

Not sure what the specs or wavelengths are on the IR system. The further challenge, IIRC, would be desoldering/soldering the tiny SMD components on the main board.

Used to solder circuit boards for nuclear reactors but... it's been a while... I'd probably end up bricking the **** thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan