Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Disabling VPS?

VPS failed while I was taking this picture of me from quite a bit away but still within >90dB range thanks to wifi repeater.
2020-07-22 15-02-06.jpg

For funsies, I'm trying to figure out a way to Take Off with VPS off, get to 30m, then reenable VPS.
Base on your feedback I suspect the barometer limit might be ignored by the drone when VPs off.
Follow up VPS disable test, using TelloFPV app.

With tape over middle photosensor only, hit 30m altitude limit warning message. So barometer altitude still enforced by drone. No go for unlimited altitude test.

Once "Not receiving VPS data" message flashing, the drone becomes increasingly hard to control over time (slowly ignoring more inputs), and will auto land. You can cancel auto land by holding Up Throttle. But if you lose WiFi (for some reason), you drone will auto land and end up in a ditch somewhere. I learnt my lesson, with Tello still intact. Start panicking when you see VPS warning messages...

Nice scenery btw. Grassland not Tello country, perhaps time for a Mavic Mini / Air 2.

Last edited:
Follow up VPS disable test, using TelloFPV app.

With tape over middle photosensor only, hit 30m altitude limit warning message. So barometer altitude still enforced by drone. No go for unlimited altitude test.

Once "Not receiving VPS data" message flashing, the drone becomes increasingly hard to control over time (slowly ignoring more inputs), and will auto land. You can cancel auto land by holding Up Throttle. But if you lose WiFi (for some reason), you drone will auto land and end up in a ditch somewhere. I learnt my lesson, with Tello still intact. Start panicking when you see VPS warning messages...

Nice scenery btw. Grassland not Tello country, perhaps time for a Mavic Mini / Air 2.

Okay, I guess the altimeter for your test was somehow online and kept count of its altitude. For me it didn't. Honestly, I don't even remember what it was reading.

Are you using the default Tello App?

Honestly the reason I got Tello is because it's small enough for indoors. Instead of Mavic/Air, I rather switch back to RC helicopters for that price if I am staying outdoors. I used to have Align T-Rex 450 V1 and V2 and they were more or less wind-proof and I had a mini wireless camera installed on them. Plus they don't have any dumb "smart" stabilization feature that relies on visual feedback.

Hello Tello friends,

can it be that your tellos are relatively new?
I only have these problems with newer models, please have a look at this post. And discovered here on Amazon.
I still have two "old" tellos, from mid-2019, with which I have no such problems.

greetings

Hello Tello friends,

can it be that your tellos are relatively new?
I only have these problems with newer models, please have a look at this post. And discovered here on Amazon.
I still have two "old" tellos, from mid-2019, with which I have no such problems.

greetings

I cannot make a comparison between the old and new but I bought my Tellos in July 2020. First one, the supplier sent me a refurbished one with defective motor and loose screws magnetically attached to the defective motor as a "brand new" item. Based on the supplier's bad reviews (Their 4.3/5 is artificial. All of the 5 stars are fakes: microspot.ch is rated "Excellent" with 4.3 / 5 on Trustpilot) and dodgyness, I did not bother returning it. Instead I salvaged its parts and bought another Tello.

Regarding your thread on the 2 new tellos. I am not experiencing the same thing. My tello works just fine when the VPS is not acting up. It more or less works 99% of the time. Usually at above 10m even with some wind, Tello can hold perfectly fine. The 1% of the time when VPS fails is when the Tello is under 1 meter from ground at the border between sloped pavement and grass.

Here from Amazon, that is also my experience:

"Only the models that are no longer fun are shown in the original Ryze app with the message "Visual positioning not available land immediately", the other, older, good ones do not know this message. With the other, older, good models, the message "Little light, VPS inaccurate" occasionally appears when there is insufficient light, but that's okay."

edited_20200728_125744.jpg

My new motors arrived and I was able to repair my defective Tello. During its first flight it had camera problems. It turns out during my thermal-repasting the front camera was unplugged (not highlighted in the above photo, it's actually at the bottom of this photo).

I also realized that the photosensor for VPS has similar connector type (highlighted in red). Unfortunately it seems hotglued in place unlike the front camera, so unplugging it will be a bit more challenge. I will eventually get brave enough to try to cut the hot glue off and unplug the photosensor.

Has anyone tried unplugging the photosensor instead of blocking it?

Sounds to me like he might need a Mavic... or anything with GPS instead of just VPS! lol

Haha, honestly I prefer lower tech than high tech. I used to fly 450 size rc-helicopters back in 2006~2008 before I left for University.

I have never tried this system to cover the sensors, but I have heard this to disable VPS.:unsure:
I apologize if I said something that I have not personally tested.
Stop the apology ..... salvation you end to say thats why uts a suggestion....all this I'm sorry crap.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan