Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Drone Crashes on Takeoff

filfoto

Reaction score
My Tello EDU is having a problem. On takeoff, it flies diagonally back and to the right. It only gets a couple inches off the ground then crashes. "Navigation system error" is displayed on the app. Fixes I have tried:
  • I have tried updating the firmware with the Tello APK download from the link given to me by Ryze tech support. (https://we.tl/t-Wz5dkBeD3K). This was unsuccessful as it is already running the latest firmware.
  • Calibrating, which appears to have worked.
  • Replacing the props with a set that I know work. I do have the props on correctly - I know that there are two directions of props, and how to ensure that the correct one goes on the correct motor.

I do have the props on correctly - I know that there are two directions of props, and how to ensure that the correct one goes on the correct motor.
Still sounds like a wrong placement. Let's double-check it with a photo...

Do all props spin easily by hand? Maybe some hair or dirt wrapped around the shaft?

My Tello EDU is having a problem. On takeoff, it flies diagonally back and to the right. It only gets a couple inches off the ground then crashes. "Navigation system error" is displayed on the app. Fixes I have tried:
  • I have tried updating the firmware with the Tello APK download from the link given to me by Ryze tech support. (https://we.tl/t-Wz5dkBeD3K). This was unsuccessful as it is already running the latest firmware.
  • Replacing the props with a set that I know work. I do have the props on correctly - I know that there are two directions of props, and how to ensure that the correct one goes on the correct motor.
Navigation System Errors are usually fixed with an IMU calibration followed up with a Center of Gravity calibration.

Hi mate how ya going? Have you tried a full reset of the drone? Take it back to out of the box specs, reload what you have to, calibrate IMU, the whole box and dice.

If that doesn’t work, seek a drone tech.

Good luck and Fly High…

Navigation System Errors are usually fixed with an IMU calibration followed up with a Center of Gravity calibration.
I tried an IMU calibration and I don't believe these drones have the capability of doing a center of gravity calibration.

Hi mate how ya going? Have you tried a full reset of the drone? Take it back to out of the box specs, reload what you have to, calibrate IMU, the whole box and dice.

If that doesn’t work, seek a drone tech.

Good luck and Fly High…
Thanks, I'll give this a try and report back what happens.

With Tello the term gravity calibration refers to a process that adjusts the internal "power to thrust" calibration for each motor (to compensate for wear, prop changes, etc) . Its done inflight.

I never ever had to do an IMU calibration with Tello. I know it can be done in the Ryze app.
I bricked one tello while trying to replicate this function in TelloFpv so I never did it again.

With Tello the term gravity calibration refers to a process that adjusts the internal "power to thrust" calibration for each motor (to compensate for wear, prop changes, etc) . Its done inflight.

I never ever had to do an IMU calibration with Tello. I know it can be done in the Ryze app.
I bricked one tello while trying to replicate this function in TelloFpv so I never did it again.
Ah, I didn't know this was done in flight. Maybe that's why the option is always greyed out in the app. I've never tried it when the drone is in the air. Unfortunately, in this case the drone will not take off, so this option is off the table.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan