Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Drone license

Dean Lighty

Reaction score
Yesterday I was told off a friend that I now need a license to fly my Tello. I was still under the impression that with it being under a certain weight I was ok for now. Can anyone please shed some light on this for me? Apparently my friend says the Air Navigation Order 2016 was amended in 2020. Also I am in the UK, England.

quaddamage

Reaction score
Not sure for UK, but in EU the low weight allow to classify drone as a toy. But it can't be classified as a toy if it has a camera, so it goes into the normal classes.

For the classes, the product doesn't have one assigned, so it goes under transitional regulations. There, it is treated in the same way as Minis. You should read the details yourself, but simplifying: you need to be registered and know the instruction manual.

RICKYSTYX

Reaction score
Because the tello has a camera it doesn't classify as a toy so you need to register as an operator and as a pilot but that's all. £9 a year for the operators license the pilots is free but you need to do a free online training and exam and lasts 5 years. You do need to put the operators licence number on every drone you are responsible for

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mephisto