Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Fly Away

Megladon7

Reaction score
Ok, I was flying my Tello this afternoon. About 30' up just hovering and rotating. I got a message to fly closer, and started to rotate to face me. Last I saw, it was flying away from me, into the woods, with "landing' in red on my screen. Tried to abort the landing, but that didn't seem to work.

Anyone else have this happen?

Thoughts?

Ok, I was flying my Tello this afternoon. About 30' up just hovering and rotating. I got a message to fly closer, and started to rotate to face me. Last I saw, it was flying away from me, into the woods, with "landing' in red on my screen. Tried to abort the landing, but that didn't seem to work.

Thoughts?
Happens quite often. Not really a flyaway, but more a blowaway. You had weak signal, rotated and as soon as the side of the Tello was facing the wind it was pushed a bit farther away and lost connection. When that happens the Tello will try to land, you no longer have any control, the wind does. All you can do is watch and hope that it can land before it finds a tree.Tello + the slightest wind will usually end in an undesired way. I hope you were able to recover your Tello.

same with me
but this time it wasn’t wind that was the issue
i was just zooming around in fast mode and with just 40m away it loses connection even tho i have flied it before up to 80m with just amber connection
and with 30% instantly dropping to critical (5%) in less than a second, low battery protection saves my *** and automatically lands itself to a roof
ryze seriously should implement a guidance to home when on critical battery using the vision positioning
not like the accurate return to home but just getting closer to the pilot for some signal reconnection before autolanding

same with me
but this time it wasn’t wind that was the issue
i was just zooming around in fast mode and with just 40m away it loses connection even tho i have flied it before up to 80m with just amber connection
and with 30% instantly dropping to critical (5%) in less than a second, low battery protection saves my *** and automatically lands itself to a roof
ryze seriously should implement a guidance to home when on critical battery using the vision positioning
not like the accurate return to home but just getting closer to the pilot for some signal reconnection before autolanding
Yep, I also have been able to get out over 80m but that is far from normal. The range can vary greatly depending on conditions at the time. That’s why it’s important to watch the signal indicator, when it’s yellow it’s time to come back.

Battery drop from 30% -5% in less than a second? If that’s the case, I would probably replace that battery. But remember as general rule the second 50% of a battery charge will not last as long as the first 50% and it best to charge a battery before it is completely discharged. About 30% is time to head home, that should put the battery at over 20% for charging. If you care for the battery it should not wear out as quickly. Fortunately, Tello batteries are inexpensive, $19 US compared to Phantom batteries $169 US.

Remember the Tello is a toy. In manufacturing every time a part is added, a person touches it or the assembly line slows, it adds to the cost. That’s why a Tello sells for $99 US and a Spark sells for $399 US.

Reactions: Cyke
I usually return when my battery is at 20% which is my set warning level
The few minutes 10% brings means a lot to me
Also the battery was not put all the way in when it was recovered so that might be responsible for the big drop in battery level
And i'll take the amber signal warning seriously now, i always thought amber meant bad video transmission and not control transmission

Thoughts?

I brought 1 tello drone 2 days back and flew it in daylight yesterday. I again flew it in the night at 9 pm and the control on my I PHONE did not work , i tried to make it come back and it just flew away. I tried today to find it and after 3 hours(from 6 am to 9 am) of search gave it up.

I brought 1 tello drone 2 days back and flew it in daylight yesterday. I again flew it in the night at 9 pm and the control on my I PHONE did not work , i tried to make it come back and it just flew away. I tried today to find it and after 3 hours(from 6 am to 9 am) of search gave it up.

Dude the positioning system didnt work at low light, moreover in the night. Your tello basically blind so no wonder it would fly on random direction.

But still, sorry for your loss

Reactions: Zeno
so the tello is basically blind at night and should not be flown.
No, you can still fly perfectly successfully but have to be aware you have no aids other than the systems that keep the thing stable and horizontal, without these it would just crash and burn instantly. It will still respond to your commands so you just have to be extra careful.
I have to admit that I am very rusty on my Tello and have not flown for a few months so I might be wrong but that is how I understand it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clubfooted