Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

FlyAway Issues

Regarding the height. If I start flying my Tello on a hill and then fly over valley, the height is much more than 30m, but the Tello is showing only 30m. Also if I am flying on hill and I need to land a little lower, it shows negative height.

So My assumption is that Tello computes the height based on gyro and accelerometer input. That means it will fly as far as the output of these two is equal to 30m, than it will stop. It is also the only way of calculating height with the limited sensory input our Tello has. Black and white camera in the middle is not able to measure height and is used only for position. The two IR LED are in my opinion just as a lightning for the camera in closer distance to be able to recognise detail for example if landing in your hand. IR on sunny day would work at maximum distance of about 10-15cm - the distance our Tello recognise obstacles.

Does anyone know whether the Tello is the final controller of its height by using the ultrasonic sensors or does that data get monitored by the cell phone app?

As far as I know, three different sensors into our Tello:

First sensor: Tello controls height using a Barometric sensor. Sensor is hidden into Tello's body. No physical bounds for this sensor, but firmware limits height to 30 meters above taking off point. Also you can fake this limit taking off from an hight point, as the roof terrace of your house. I hope someone will break this limit in the future using a patched firmware update.

Second sensor: infrared sensor is placed onto Tello's bottom. You can see two dark holes. One hole is the IR emitter and the other the IR receiver. Accuracy is great but range is less than a meter as It's only used for underneath obstacle avoidance and accurate and smooth landing/takeoff. This sensor is the one working when you put your hand under Tello and it raises height.

Third sensor: between both dark bottom holes is the tinny VPS (vision positioning system) camera that recognizes soil patterns and keeps the tello still in the air. In calm winds this system worked for me up to 40 meters hight.

I hope it helps. Any other opinion is wellcome.

Raul

I recomend you watching such interesting videos:

Last edited:
Tatin is just the name I gave my DJI Phantom. As for the heigh. It is my understanding that the sensors underneath the Tello are the ones that measure height. According to Ryze, the maximum height they were suppose to be able to measure is 33 feet, but we all know that’s not true. That being said, sending your Tello 100 feet up, is playing with fire. Eventually you will get burned.
Hopefully I'll not burn... love to play fire ? even on 100feet is not enough for me now...need 2nd drone I guess to fulfill my height desires ?

Hopefully I'll not burn... love to play fire ? even on 100feet is not enough for me now...need 2nd drone I guess to fulfill my height desires ?
Then you should consider doing the jump to a better drone. My personal record is 647 feet (197m) on a Phantom. The law here only permits up to 400 feet (121m) AGL. You are allowed to go higher when going over an obstacle, but up to 400 feet (121m) above the top of the obstacle. In my case the obstacle was 247 feet (75m). I try to stay within the law. They have yet to enforce it here, but I don’t want to be used as an example.

Reactions: stewe12
Then you should consider doing the jump to a better drone. My personal record is 647 feet (197m) on a Phantom. The law here only permits up to 400 feet (121m) AGL. You are allowed to go higher when going over an obstacle, but up to 400 feet (121m) above the top of the obstacle. In my case the obstacle was 247 feet (75m). I try to stay within the law. They have yet to enforce it here, but I don’t want to be used as an example.
Yes tello are my 1st entry to drone.... very good beginners drone...i learned some basic flight and my 2nd drone are Spark God will...? 100feet are to low for me not 200 to 300feet i think will fulfill my height desires ? anyway any other options for 2nd drone? thanks in advance

Reactions: Ansia
Yes tello are my 1st entry to drone.... very good beginners drone...i learned some basic flight and my 2nd drone are Spark God will...? 100feet are to low for me not 200 to 300feet i think will fulfill my height desires ? anyway any other options for 2nd drone? thanks in advance
If you want to do the jump completely, consider going Mavic Pro or better. You can get a mavic pro on ebay for around $600 usd with lots of accesories and get the benefits of Ocusync and 4K camera. I think that is a bargain. Please verify your local laws. I don't know about Saudi Arabia, but in most countries the limit is 400 feet (121m) and in United Arab Emirates and Syria is forbidden to fly such drones.

Reactions: Zeno
If you want to do the jump completely, consider going Mavic Pro or better. You can get a mavic pro on ebay for around $600 usd with lots of accesories and get the benefits of Ocusync and 4K camera. I think that is a bargain. Please verify your local laws. I don't know about Saudi Arabia, but in most countries the limit is 400 feet (121m) and in United Arab Emirates and Syria is forbidden to fly such drones.
Yeah very strict here specially...i only fly at compound near my factory work...

Not sure if anyone else us having these issues but now i have lost a second Tello due to a fly away! I will not be buying another until someone addresses this problem! Same as before, iphone X and latest Tello Firmware. The drone was just hovering ans suddenly it started to drift to the side and rise up in altitude. No response from the controls so i glance down at the phone and see the app crash and disappear off the screen. i had the height set to 30 meters oit should have stopped but it kept climbing and is now gone gone! this is starting to really piss me off! This is the second time its happened!
Any suggestions on this issue or possible corrections?

Regards,
PMR
Occurred to me once and that was right after a lose of control when flying forward (toward me). Video segments of the malfunction were all frozen. DJI technician had no clue. They don't think it is a fault though...

I've lost tello few minutes ago. I was flying 3 meters above when after acrobatics tello began to rise rapidly. No response from control. I am p***!

Not sure if anyone else us having these issues but now i have lost a second Tello due to a fly away! I will not be buying another until someone addresses this problem! Same as before, iphone X and latest Tello Firmware. The drone was just hovering ans suddenly it started to drift to the side and rise up in altitude. No response from the controls so i glance down at the phone and see the app crash and disappear off the screen. i had the height set to 30 meters oit should have stopped but it kept climbing and is now gone gone! this is starting to really piss me off! This is the second time its happened!
Any suggestions on this issue or possible corrections?

Regards,
PMR
These exact thing happened to me I think it is stupid that this happens and there is no kind of kill switch on the drone to stop i from flying away the should ad a function that when you press the kill switch button it cuts power from the motor

TelloFpv has this emergency motor stop / kill switch: Rapidly tap the Stop button 5 times (you may have to enable it in the settings)

Reactions: BigL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv