Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Hawk Attack!!!

Yo-dude

Reaction score
Out in the sticks yesterdays. Had been waiting for less wind. I finally got my gamesir hand held controller. I tried a new app extending the altitude.
I found a place near some woods... Used the app and took it up to 30 metres (about 100 feet). Very cool. Then I flew into little-ish glen -
valley. Suddenly a very large hawk appeared and attacked my little Tello!!! It was maybe 60 metres away...and at first I could not tell what happened to the Tello. As in did it carry it away...? As I was rushing to the scene of the crime I looked at my phone display. I could see what the camera was seeing. (the hawk had dropped it). It seemed to be a live feed. This little glen had a path but a lot of under or overgrowth. I knew about where it happened. But the foliage was well over my head. I quickly tried to figure out what to do. It would be dark in about 20 -30 minutes... I thought I could rush back (not too near) , and get my Mavic and look for it that way,,, but that would take time. I delved into the foliage ..not too nice. A great place for snakes, esp. that time of day...that for sure are there. I used the live feed to close in on the general angle. I could see that the cloud formation was similar...and the shape of a hill to the south. Then I reckoned that it was above...and there was a leaf in view so I figured I should start shaking branches... in different directions. This did the trick! I went from cold to warmer to colder to warmer to very warm...Being able to see that live view was key! Finally I knew I was red hot and looked up and bended a branch down and there it was. Phew. No visible damage. In fact I flew it back towards the road... Not something I want to repeat but fascinating! I have heard stories of bird attacks on drones before. Often seagulls. I have seen these big hawks be interested in different drones before... mostly just checking them out. I am thinking the size of the Tello and most likely I was near the hawk's nest, because of where it came from, deep within woods and so quickly.

Lesson learned!

Attachments

Reactions: CHUNID and ASK82

Rob63

Reaction score
Wow, good to hear that you were able to recover your little bird.
BTW, the Netherlands are using specially trained birds of prey to intercept drones over power plants...

Reactions: Yo-dude

Yo-dude

Reaction score
thanks. I had heard of training birds of prey to snatch drones. that sounds like a good use actually.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
[email protected]