Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Hoping to use Tello to defend our chickens!

ChickenDefender

Reaction score
I've got some DJI drones and have some Python programming experience. But I have not yet looked into Tello but am going to do so shortly in the hope that I can figure out a way of making a swarm of cheap drones with LED or strobe lights on them to quickly launch when my camera detection systems detect an aerial threat to our chickens (using various AI libraries). I would imagine programming the Python to execute would be fairly simple, but the tough part it seems will be non-Tello specific nuts I need to crack like:

A) having the drones not drawing power but ready to launch quickly to deter a hawk

B) have the drones able to land fairly precisely and auto-charge their batteries (maybe little skid contactors or couple dragging wires landing on a metal charging plate)

Having the drones launch and just fly a little pattern above and around the chicken coop should do the trick nicely. Definitely looking forward to studying Tello to see if this is feasible, our chickens would appreciate it!

Hello @ChickenDefender ,
That's a nice use case for Tello.
Regarding remotely switching on/off, we have a discussion in this thread: Remotely switch on/off, auto recharge, precision land

For a precision landing you can use an approach with Aruco Markers and the downward facing camera. I am working on this too.

Regarding automatic recharging (after precision landing): You could use contacts on the landing "feet" and connect them directly to the battery. But you need an external charging control circuit in this case. You can see how to connect to the pins which carry the battery power in this video:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv