Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

I Want To Fly With Sticks!

Tuba

Reaction score
Want to get a controller with physical sticks for my Tello so I can have more precise control and to increase my skills in case I want to upgrade to a bigger drone.

But there is SO much confusion about what works and what does NOT work! I have an Android phone and that seems to make it even more difficult (iOS seems generally fine with controllers).

So here’s what I’ve learned:
Bluetooth connected controllers interfere with the Tello causing:
  • No video feed in the app (kills FPV)
  • Bad recorded video (lost frames or noise)
There is also a lot of lag (delay) with the controllers but it’s unclear if that is limited to Bluetooth controllers (not wired OTG controllers) or just limited to GameSir controllers on Android phones (either Bluetooth or OTG).

There are 3rd party apps (like aTello and Octopus) that seem to circumvent some controller issues but I’d like to have something that works with the stock Tello Android app.

GameSir T1s
Bluetooth - Cannot connect to the Tello via Bluetooth
Cable – Can connect via OTG but does not work with the stock app.

GameSir T1d
Bluetooth - Only connects via Bluetooth
Cable - Cannot connect via OTG cable
Made specifically for the Tello (yay!) but cannot be used for ANYTHING other than the Tello (no other drones, not as a game controller, nothing!) (boo!).

GameSir T1
Identical to the T1s except that it does not include the 2.4GHz Wireless adapter.

Are there any controllers with sticks that can connect to an Android phone via an OTG (on-the-go) USB cable and control the Tello using the stock Android app?

Last edited:
Reactions: elJona
Hey

I think the only one compatible is really the GameSir T1d. That and the GameVice, but that's for iPhone, if I'm not mistaken.
I ordered one and I'm waiting for it.

By the way, I saw some videos where they said that when using a Bluetooth controller the WiFi extender becomes even more important to eliminate interference.
Curious to know whether this is true.

USB controller + OTG cable with app ATello or Octopus Controller (Keymapper)

The description says: "The controller connects directly with the drone's Bluetooth signal"

If I understand right, it doesn't connect to the phone at all.. tell us more when you receive, controller look nice!

I have the gamesir T1D and it works very well both with the Tello and with my iPhone 7 Plus. The problem is that thwith the controller, the drone flies much faster and it is more hard to achieve good video with it because of the speed of the drone. Flying with the virtual sticks from the app is far more precise. Also a Wifi extender is imperative to avoid the frame drops dur to interference with the signal.

Got the Flypad Controller.

Fyling with physical sticks is great. I was using it with my Parrot Rolling Spider. It connects via the phone using the FreeFlight Mini App (it doesn't connect directly with the drone):
1) Sticks let you fly by touch without needing to watch the virtual sticks on the screen. You know where the sticks without needing to see where your fingers rest on the screen. Especially useful when your almost going to crash and panic sets in.
2) You get more precise control because the futher you push the sticks, the faster the drone moves. Hard to get that kind of precision with virtual sticks.

Had a few crashes so it will take some time to get used to it.

Next I tried the controller with the Tello stock App and the aTello App on my Android phone. None of the Apps worked! Tried Bluetooth and OTG but no luck. Neither App registered the controller.

Phone Bluetooth - I could not connect to the controller via the phone's Bluetooth settings because it would 'pair' and then disconnect automatically. Could only connect with the Parrot App (FreeFlight Mini). Having the Parrot App connected to the controller and running in the background didn't help any other App find the controller.

OTG Cable - Could only get phone to recognized the controller IF I plug like this:

Controller -> Micro USB Cable -> OTG Cable -> Phone

and I must plug the OTG Cable into the phone LAST. Any other cable set-up or connection order does not allow the phone to recognize the controller

Using the OTG cable, I was able to navigate and select the phone's icons. Also tried an App called FPV Freerider FREE. It recognized OTG Controller and let me calibrate it but I could not take off in the simulator. I can also use the OTG to read files off a USB Stick so I know the OTG works.

Octopus can recognize the controller over OTG but doesn't work for Tello or aTello Apps!

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Got the Flypad Controller.

UPDATE: Tried it again today and it worked! Not sure why, maybe it was restarting the phone and the drone.

Managed to get the Flypad working over the OTG cable (Bluetooth was off) with both the Tello and aTello Aps using Octopus and even the FPV Freerider FREE game App.

3 problems:
1) Disconnects - The controller would disconnect/become unresponsive after some time. Might coincide with the battery on the Flypad Controller reaching full charge (it draws a charge from the phone when connected via the cable).
2) Repeat - When the controller disconnects, the App continues to repeat the last movement. So if I pitch down and controller stops working, then the drone flys backwards until it crashes.
3) Lag - Controls are a bit sluggish. Even without connecting to the drone, the physical controller sticks move the virtual sticks in the Apps very slowly. Much more so for the right stick. The left stick is almost instantaneous.

Wondering if the controller is defective since it was a refurb.

Anyone else have slow sticks using Octopus?

Want to get a controller with physical sticks for my Tello so I can have more precise control and to increase my skills in case I want to upgrade to a bigger drone.

But there is SO much confusion about what works and what does NOT work! I have an Android phone and that seems to make it even more difficult (iOS seems generally fine with controllers).

So here’s what I’ve learned:
Bluetooth connected controllers interfere with the Tello causing:
  • No video feed in the app (kills FPV)
  • Bad recorded video (lost frames or noise)
There is also a lot of lag (delay) with the controllers but it’s unclear if that is limited to Bluetooth controllers (not wired OTG controllers) or just limited to GameSir controllers on Android phones (either Bluetooth or OTG).

There are 3rd party apps (like aTello and Octopus) that seem to circumvent some controller issues but I’d like to have something that works with the stock Tello Android app.

GameSir T1s
Bluetooth - Cannot connect to the Tello via Bluetooth
Cable – Can connect via OTG but does not work with the stock app.

GameSir T1d
Bluetooth - Only connects via Bluetooth
Cable - Cannot connect via OTG cable
Made specifically for the Tello (yay!) but cannot be used for ANYTHING other than the Tello (no other drones, not as a game controller, nothing!) (boo!).

GameSir T1
Identical to the T1s except that it does not include the 2.4GHz Wireless adapter.

Are there any controllers with sticks that can connect to an Android phone via an OTG (on-the-go) USB cable and control the Tello using the stock Android app?

I read another comment somewhere on here that the wired Gamesir G3w works with atello (edit: sorry you were asking about the stock app, so this answer isn't relevant), so I ordered it and it does work, however you must order it with phone holding bracket included, and I didn't know about that, so now I have to also order the bracket to hold my Android phone. It's an add-on bracket which I don't like, I would prefer the built in kind, but so far I haven't been able to find one - it appears the G4 or G4s may work, but I don't know yet. The G3w has the wire built in which is nice, the G4 you need to plug it in but because of the built in phone holder I would prefer that, and I think it's probably built a little better because it's more expensive and has rubber grips...but I'm waiting for confirmation if it works, but I think it will.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's an useful information, but with Atello Pilot, the Moto Z3 Play works flawless with the gamepad motosnap. No lag and good sticks.

The description says: "The controller connects directly with the drone's Bluetooth signal"

If I understand right, it doesn't connect to the phone at all.. tell us more when you receive, controller look nice!
I could not get the controller to connect to my Parrot Rolling Spider directly. Must use the phone's Bluetooth to control the drone.

As for the Tello, it cannot connect directly via Bluetooth because the Tello uses WiFi.

So both require a phone with an App to control the drone.

I read another comment somewhere on here that the wired Gamesir G3w works with atello (edit: sorry you were asking about the stock app, so this answer isn't relevant), so I ordered it and it does work, however you must order it with phone holding bracket included, and I didn't know about that, so now I have to also order the bracket to hold my Android phone. It's an add-on bracket which I don't like, I would prefer the built in kind, but so far I haven't been able to find one - it appears the G4 or G4s may work, but I don't know yet. The G3w has the wire built in which is nice, the G4 you need to plug it in but because of the built in phone holder I would prefer that, and I think it's probably built a little better because it's more expensive and has rubber grips...but I'm waiting for confirmation if it works, but I think it will.

I'm willing to use aTello app if it works.

I found the post about using the G3w here. I asked a few questions of the poster but hoping you can answer, too:
  1. Did you need to use the Octopus app?
  2. Have you had any disconnects? I need to return my controller (Parrot Flypad) because the controller would stop responding but still send the prior input to the drone (so if moving forward, it would continue until it crashed after the controller disconnected). Would happen after about 1-2 minutes.
  3. Any lag on the controller input movements?
  4. Did you use bluetooth or plug the phone into the controller?

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv