Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Is this the only way to send commands to Tello via SDK?

RogueSquadron1

Reaction score
I am able to connect my PC to the Tello (via the drone's WIFI connection).
This would mean that my PC could not make any other internet related calls.
Is there any other way to connect to the Tello WITHOUT having to connect directly to the drone's WIFI, for example, perhaps make Tello connect to my home WIFI instead?

You asked 2 different questions.

1) "Is this the only way to send commands to Tello via SDK?" ... No.
The SDK uses (utf-8 coded) ASCII strings. You can only do one movement at a time and Tello stops at the end of each movement.
But the apps (original Tello app, Tello FPV, aTelloPilot) use a more sophisticated communication which codes information not as ASCII but binary, time-stamped and CRC checked. You can issue the joystick positions, all of them at the same time which makes a much smoother movement. I am just on the way to find out, a good source of information is the Tello Go(Lang) packet. Look for it here in the forum and/or on GitHub.

2) "Is there any other way to connect to the Tello WITHOUT having to connect directly to the drone's WIFI, for example, perhaps make Tello connect to my home WIFI instead? " ... Yes.
If you own a Tello EDU. It has an SDK command "AP" which requires SSID and password as parameters. If you have a normal Tello - no way.

Hope it helps.
Martin

Thanks for your precise answers. Much appreciated!
Now i did notice that the TelloSDKCoreNet sample app does send byte representations of the string commands.
So this effectively means that the Tello drone accepts 2 command formats (string and binary).
Correct?

I am just confused (frustrated) that the official SDK doc explicitly tells how to send commands (as strings), but fails to mention that it accepts them as binary as well.

Correct, as far as I understand it.

Well, the SDK is the part that deals with ASCII-strings and the SDK documentation mentions only ASCII-strings. That's OK, so far.
I know 2 documents, one is the user manual and SDK doc, version 1.0.0.0.
And then, SDK 2.0 which is provided only by the Tello EDU.
But the status string (and the video streaming, I did not go into that yet) work with the normal Tello as well (and I bought an EDU because I did not know).

"Documentation is like sex. When it's good, it's vrey, very, good. When it's bad, it's better than nothing"
(from the notepad++ documentation)

The documentation provided by Ryze is definitely not very good. We'll have to live with it.

It bothers me that i can send commands to take off and land, but no other commands work. I never receive a response from the drone, even for take off and land commands.
I can confirm that on Wireshark (sniffing the UDP packets) that it does send a response back. But i never receiving on my running code.
Anything special i need to do on the firewall side (i currently have UDP protocal opened for Any/All ports).

if you can see a response in wireshark the problem is with your code handling / interpreting the response, not the SDK.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv