Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Lake landing

Bkehoe

Reaction score
I was flying my Tello over a lake. The controller showed an error message and the controls would not respond. My Tello started descending, landing in the lake a few feet from shore. I was able to retrieve it a few seconds later. I removed the battery and let it sit. After 6 days I put the battery back in and voila! my Tello was flying again. I am grateful that it was able to survive a brief time in the water but i won't be flying over water again any time soon.

BrianK

I was flying my Tello over a lake. The controller showed an error message and the controls would not respond. My Tello started descending, landing in the lake a few feet from shore. I was able to retrieve it a few seconds later. I removed the battery and let it sit. After 6 days I put the battery back in and voila! my Tello was flying again. I am grateful that it was able to survive a brief time in the water but i won't be flying over water again any time soon.

BrianK
I'm happy you got the tello back in the air. Good idea to let it sit and dry that long. I fly over water quite often but with great caution and always in sport for quicker response. Also the higher you are over the water the better results. But all in all they prefer it over land. Good luck.??

Hi everyone! I wanted to say "Thanks" for sharing your story. I was always afraid of flying my little Tello over water, and do it very seldom. Since im a bit paranoid about seeing my buddy take a nose dive, I devised some homemade pontoons that work great. I went to the local hardware store and bought some black foam pipe insulation. My store had multiple sizes, so I bought some for the smallest diameter pipe I could find. I then sliced it in half and attached it to the bottom of the prop motors with velcro. It actually keeps the little sucker from doing a swan dive, and let's it float. A bit of caution though, they act like wind sails on windy days. I'll post a pic or two when I get the chance. Anyway, hope this helps anyone who tends to fly over water.

Have a great one guys, and keep em' flyin'!!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Back in the days I did not had spare propellers.

Could'nt stop playing.

12h after a full dive Gizmo was like new.

IMG_20200723_202307.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200725_124507_com.volatello.tellofpv.jpg
    Screenshot_20200725_124507_com.volatello.tellofpv.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 17
I've found that flying on a hot day (like today here) is always an issue. Tello's like it cooler.

My EVO on the other hand had cooling fans in the drone body and the controller.

The Tello gets hot, it wants to be done as in now.

I've found that flying on a hot day (like today here) is always an issue. Tello's like it cooler.

My EVO on the other hand had cooling fans in the drone body and the controller.

The Tello gets hot, it wants to be done as in now.

I experimented with this modification on my Tello and flew for 30 minutes (three batteries) with an outside temperature of 32 ° C without overheating problems.
It will definitely not be a higher temperature than other places, but I think the modification helps improve the dissipation.

BrianK
That’s good to hear! I only flew out over the lake once and got an alarming message about starting to land, so I’m always interested in the experiences of others to see if it’s possible, and if so what steps have to be taken to make it happen safely. Besides all that it’s great to hear that you were able to rescue yours and keep it alive.

Hi everyone! I wanted to say "Thanks" for sharing your story. I was always afraid of flying my little Tello over water, and do it very seldom. Since im a bit paranoid about seeing my buddy take a nose dive, I devised some homemade pontoons that work great. I went to the local hardware store and bought some black foam pipe insulation. My store had multiple sizes, so I bought some for the smallest diameter pipe I could find. I then sliced it in half and attached it to the bottom of the prop motors with velcro. It actually keeps the little sucker from doing a swan dive, and let's it float. A bit of caution though, they act like wind sails on windy days. I'll post a pic or two when I get the chance. Anyway, hope this helps anyone who tends to fly over water.

Have a great one guys, and keep em' flyin'!!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
What a great idea!

Reactions: FNeves815

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv