Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

LEGO Onboard Xiaomi Repeater mod

That is an akaline battery for devices such as remotes, sensors etc.

That camera and most RC devices are powered from Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries. Suggest you read through this primer to understand the basics of using and maintaining these type of batteries:

That said, was able to locate the manual (attached to this thread) for the Hawkeye Firefly 4K Split Camera. This unit is actually able to take in a range of input voltages (7-22V; 2S-6S battery).

The camera comes with a power/video cable with pin 1 acting as the positive (+) terminal and pin 2 as ground on a JST style connector. Opposite end is raw ended.

Here's a sampling of 2S LiPo batteries from the same site I believe you acquired the camera from.

Information is above. Up to you to decide how to put it together and balance your design to how you want it. Good luck!

Attachments

• Hawkeye FIREFLY Split Cam 1080p 120fps 4k 30fps -EN Ver2.4 .pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I contacted the company. Good news is that Firefly Split cam also supports 5V so we can finally use OTG and can use this 4k cam. I will update you guys as soon as I get hold of the camera. Its still not reached.

Reactions: xcrost
Can someone explain to me why would mounting the Mi WiFi extender in the back of the Tello be better range vs saving the Tello excess flight weight by just having the WiFi extender taped to a hard hat with a power bank worn on top of your head?

Can someone explain to me why would mounting the Mi WiFi extender in the back of the Tello be better range vs saving the Tello excess flight weight by just having the WiFi extender taped to a hard hat with a power bank worn on top of your head?

I'll try to explain you...

This mod involves TWO repeaters working at once, first one is in the back of the Tello and the second one is close to you, on top of your hat if you like ;)

Best regards

Raul.

The mod works. Main drawback is reduced flying time and a little radio link instability.

I always carry it with me to flying location. First flights are using my stock, unmodfied Tello. If I suffer video interference or feel the needing to get a bit farther I mount Lego Onboard in seconds and perform same flight again.

Last attemp at countryside (no wifi nearby) I got 300 meters flying stock no-mod Tello

tello300.jpg

Same place and day using Lego Onboard I got 430 meters. Notice reduced bitrate, db signal stays always at 90% due onboard repeater.

tello430.jpg

That's an excellent improvement about 40% better range.

But... I realized wifi link is not stable enought when using mod. Sometimes signal decreases sharply and I have to perform a sudden return to home maneouver. It's a little scary

All the best.

Last edited:
Any updates?
I got camea yes, due to new year festival here, I havent got much time to work on that. I will update you guys soon, Camera comes with mini HDMI camera for settings operation, I dont have that so I need to buy that too.

Hi all,

I'm glad to present you a new video about Xiaomi Onboard Lego Mod.

In this video I'll try to give you a detailed explanation of how it works and a complete range and video quality test.

I added video at first post too.

Please, watch and leave your comments.

Raul.
-------

Congratulations Raul. A really interesting mod for our little TELLO!(y)
my distance record, it's still 308 meters with only xiaomi and parabola and a good video return!
Hello and have fun with your Tello!;)

Reactions: raulvolador
I ordered all the parts a couple of days ago. Even got everything in red to match the Iron Man theme! I post the pics around June 2021, when all the parts finally arrive form China. That about how long they take to get here!???

@RRR

Thanks for the update. Diwali? If so, enjoy.

Sorry to inform you guys. Firfly 4k split not working. Not getting power from Tello. As per company reply and documents, it did accept 5V. Any ideas to make this work?

Edit: Its working! What you need to do is, first, start the drone, after it's powered up and running, then only insert the camera. Now I need a lego adapter, to mount the camera. I have ordered it and it will come after 20 days! We need to wait that much!

Last edited:
Reactions: raulvolador
This is fantastic, how far do you think it could travel in 1 direction away from the starting point? 1km? Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv