Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Android App: TelloMe (FollowMe for Tello)

Tried TelloMe and bought it within minutes!

Light conditions were not so great but it worked well.
I had Bluetooth turned on, and quite a few apps running in the background, no problem.
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10+.

Great!

I just released a new app TelloMe to Android play store. Currently release in the beta preview stream so only available via this link:
Play Store TelloMe

TelloMe is an app for just one thing:

It makes Tello follow a face / person (or a small group of people).

Tello can rotate to follow, or stay at a position relative to the person using roll instead of yaw (Called profile mode: that is Tello can record a walking person from the side, or from ahead).
Tello can keep a constant distance, and adjust the altitude to keep the object in view.
Computer vision requires image stabilization so it's slow video mode only, no sport mode. Maximum speed is slow running and calm weather is required. Even little wind affects tracking ability as Tello reacts differently upwind vs downwind.

In addition to Follow mode there are two more flight modes:
  • Orbit:
    Fly a circle around a person, which also works while walking slowly. Orbiting also works for the front part of a face (but will stop once the face is no longer visible).
  • Manual:
    Tello stays focused on the object. You can fly around using one onscreen joystick for pitch & roll. TelloMe takes care of yaw & throttle to keep the face / person in view.

Basically it is the same as TelloMe iOS, with one exception: No object follow, but that has never really been used much anyway. I may add this at a later point but no promises.

What this app is not:
This app is strictly dedicated to Computer Vision / FollowMe and is more or less feature complete. I am not saying it won't improve over time but it will not evolve into a another TelloFpv.
At the same time I have no plans to include FollowMe functionality into TelloFpv. There are a number of reasons but the main one is: I know FollowMe will trigger tons of 1 star reviews because it will never work on older phones or budget phones (which is what over 50% of my TelloFpv users have).

Distribution model: The app itself is free but does not record video. There is an in-app purchase to enable recording. Price depends on currency, taxes & fees.

Beware: This is Beta so please expect bugs. Not so much control bugs but more crashes of the app itself. I will iron them out over the next days.
Also I know the ZFlip and a few other high end phones don't work. No clue why but I will find a way to find out whats going on.

View attachment 5941
Are there recommended android phones for tellome? It will not start the drone using huawie p20. Or is there a tweak i can do to make it work?

When i first connected using huawie p20 it says it passed all tests but the drone will not fly and tells me to buy the full version. What should i do?

well, its good to test for a week or so (need to check the code to know how long). After that it refuses to fly.
Many people tend to keep it "forever" and crack it, so there must be some limitation or nobody would buy the app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201231_061332_com.volatello.tellomea.jpg
    Screenshot_20201231_061332_com.volatello.tellomea.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20201231_060935_com.volatello.tellomea.jpg
    Screenshot_20201231_060935_com.volatello.tellomea.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 3
The test period runs 3 days after installation. Once expired the drone doesn't take off.

What you can do is take off with another app, and then switch to TelloMe. Thats currently a loophole but will be closed soon.

The test period runs 3 days after installation. Once expired the drone doesn't take off.

What you can do is take off with another app, and then switch to TelloMe. Thats currently a loophole but will be closed soon.
It will not fly at first install. Will try to take off with tello app and see if it works.

It takesoff oks with tellofpv.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the work around. I was able to take off using tellofpv, then switch over to tellome. I am still trying to get the hang of it. It recognises my face, but Right now it does not follow me, i think i am too close and need a bigger open space.

If i buy the full version of the tellome, will it allow me to take off?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv