Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post (wasn't fully awake):

Users of GearVR (and any other supersmart VR headset) have to stop the phone from entering the VR mode when plugged into the headset. Here is a few ways to try for GearVR:

https://www.unlockunit.com/blog/get-rid-samsung-galaxy-vr-service-app/
I tried that to no avail. I finally got the CB enabler installed but it hangs when I run it. I think a cheap set of Goggles will do the job especially since the buttons and other features of the Gear would be disabled anyway. If anyone gets it working with the Gear, please share your method.

the HUD (Head up display) refers to the flight data displayed on the screens. This HUD can be a little offset for each eye so it appears to be hovering in front of the video image.
This 3d effect works only if you have an actual video feed to look at, not when adjusting the screens with Tello disconnected.

Still playing around with this, I'm not 100% sure it will make it to final.

I think it would be nice if you could add a phone camera view functionality. For these times when you need to see through the rear phone camera. This could be mapped to a controller button.

What do you think?

Reactions: Stele
Which virtual reality viewer recommended for my Samsung Note 3 Neo Display 5.55 inches
resolution 1280x720
Dimensions: 148.4 x 77.4 x 8.6 mm
267 ppi

Thank you.

Last edited:
I think it would be nice if you could add a phone camera view functionality. For these times when you need to see through the rear phone camera. This could be mapped to a controller button.

What do you think?
Of course!

Quale visualizzatore di realtà virtuale consigliato per il mio Samsung Note 3 Neo Display 5.55 pollici
Risoluzione super amolata 1280x720
Dimensioni: 148,4 x 77,4 x 8,6 mm
267 ppi

Grazie.(Y)

Maybe a bit overkill given the phone resolution?

Let me explain:
Tello does 1280x720 so in VR mode you need a minimum of 2560 x 720 or you will lose details.
That is if using the full screen, which doesn't work. Most VR goggles will only allow a certain FOV, reducing the usable screen real estate. So you need even better resolution to not miss details.

I use my old S4 until I run into some S6. The S4 has 1920 x 1080 and it works OK, but knowing that I am missing details bugs me. Also I see its grainy due to "just" 441ppi.

Given that your phone is much lower resolution compared to what Tello does I'd suggest not to invest too much money into a VR headset. A better phone may be the wiser investment.

The S6 is 2560 x 1440 and 577ppi. Cheap ones start at 60-80 Euro on ebay. Add a cheap 15 Euro VR headset and you'll have more fun.

Have you measured latency in VR mode? Is it the same as in “normal” mode?

What is the latency when the drone sits next to the phone?

Have you measured latency in VR mode? Is it the same as in “normal” mode?

What is the latency when the drone sits next to the phone?
Latency is on my phone about 175ms, or about 5ms slower than single screen FPV. On a more powerful phone the difference should be closer to 0.

Latency doesn't significantly change with distance. speed of light you know ;)

You guys remember the good ol days when TelloFPV used to look like this?View attachment 2931

Still undecided which alternative I like more. Simplicity or a nice view :unsure:

Reactions: Ansia
Updated, and it says Im now Beta Tester. But I am all the times before a Beta Tester.
Too bad Im on Work right now. Later I will Test it at home.
I like that there is an Option to 3d-effect the Overlay.
Someone had the Idea for a Cam-fiew-Window. I like that Idea!!

Updated, and it says Im now Beta Tester. But I am all the times before a Beta Tester.
Too bad Im on Work right now. Later I will Test it at home.
I like that there is an Option to 3d-effect the Overlay.
Someone had the Idea for a Cam-fiew-Window. I like that Idea!!

That isn't trivial, especially with a good framerate.

I try to follow the "bang for buck" approach: what functionality offers the most value for the dev time I have to invest. Camview is a good idea but looks like a lot of effort, so currently not a priority.

Latency is on my phone about 175ms, or about 5ms slower than single screen FPV. On a more powerful phone the difference should be closer to 0.

Latency doesn't significantly change with distance. speed of light you know ;)

Still undecided which alternative I like more. Simplicity or a nice view :unsure:

Speed of light is one thing but the digital RF modulation maybe introduces more latency as the distance grows and error rate increases. I think.

that would be the case if there was any error correction in place, like re-transmitting lost packages. There isn't as it would defeat the idea of "near realtime" video transmission.

Very low priority.............I haven't been able to test much but one thing I am noticing is the bright white line separating the two fields of view "bleeds" and I see it on the edges in VR. Maybe a subdued grey would be better.

Of course!

Let me explain:
Tello does 1280x720 so in VR mode you need a minimum of 2560 x 720 or you will lose details.
That is if using the full screen, which doesn't work. Most VR goggles will only allow a certain FOV, reducing the usable screen real estate. So you need even better resolution to not miss details.

I use my old S4 until I run into some S6. The S4 has 1920 x 1080 and it works OK, but knowing that I am missing details bugs me. Also I see its grainy due to "just" 441ppi.

Given that your phone is much lower resolution compared to what Tello does I'd suggest not to invest too much money into a VR headset. A better phone may be the wiser investment.

The S6 is 2560 x 1440 and 577ppi. Cheap ones start at 60-80 Euro on ebay. Add a cheap 15 Euro VR headset and you'll have more fun.

Thank you so much We will evaluate this solution.
You're doing a great job with TelloFPV!(y)

Wanting I have also available my personal device Samsung A7 (2018)
6 inches
Resolution of 1080 x 2220 pixels
411 ppi

I have always used the note 3 neo for the cello after taking Samsung A7 ...

Last edited:
Of course!

Let me explain:

Right. You will need larger resolution screen for not loosing detail flying your new VR mode feature.

That's the reason I still prefer my single-lens single-screen old FPV googles. That way I can enjoy an inmersive flight using full mobile screen and no need for special VR modes. Tello full screen Goggles for VR (Virtual Reality) or FPV (First Person View)

I supose main reason for using two-lens and two images googles is getting stereoscopic 3D ilusion and that will never happen with Tello, since only one camera available, excepting new floating HUD.

High positive of this new VR mode is that lot of people will start enloy flying using their FPV googles. That way some specials needs I noticed long time ago will become more visible, as ability for controlling autopilots not touching screen.

Anyway, I'm curious and I'll probably give a try one of that two-lens Samsung Gear type googles.

Maybe it surprises me... ;)

Reactions: Ansia and Flydrone
Right. You will need larger resolution screen for not loosing detail flying your new VR mode feature.

That's the reason I still prefer my single-lens single-screen old FPV googles. That way I can enjoy an inmersive flight using full mobile screen and no need for special VR modes. Tello full screen Goggles for VR (Virtual Reality) or FPV (First Person View)

I supose main reason for using two-lens and two images googles is getting stereoscopic 3D ilusion and that will never happen with Tello, since only one camera available, excepting new floating HUD.

High positive of this new VR mode is that lot of people will start enloy flying using their FPV googles. That way some specials needs I noticed long time ago will become more visible, as ability for controlling autopilots not touching screen.

Anyway, I'm curious and I'll probably give a try one of that two-lens Samsung Gear type googles.

Maybe it surprises me... ;)

I totally agree: Autopilots will need non-dialog methods of control.
I have already thought of a way to do that but for best experience it needs the D-Pad which is currently not supported on all controllers. So its fixing controller mapping first, before I change the AP control.

But in a couple of minutes you'll get another AP that doesn't need dialogs :)

I totally agree: Autopilots will need non-dialog methods of control.
I have already thought of a way to do that but for best experience it needs the D-Pad which is currently not supported on all controllers. So its fixing controller mapping first, before I change the AP control.

But in a couple of minutes you'll get another AP that doesn't need dialogs :)

A new autopilot... what does it do?

I can't wait :p

Reactions: xcrost
So here we go. A bit later than expected but finally done: v0.99d
Again combined change log since last productive release

New
* VR mode
* Start recording automatically on stock flight programs 360, up&out, circle
* Option to start recording on takeoff
* Autopilot for making 360 pano photos (for manual stitching)

Changes
* Circle POI speed more flexible
* Iframe period 0 (not suitable for video recording, only for long distance FPV)
* Bitrate Auto removed

Fixes
* Controller disconnected if user removes one or more stick axis configurations
* Option "Re-encode photos" lost when app closed
* DEMO: RTH failed if minimum altitude was set above the 2m altitude restriction
* Activation of APs silently failed if VPS not active
* Low battery reported as Error Code 13

So the autopilot is an AP that automatically does the pictures required for a 360° panorama. You will find the button I guess.
You can define the number of photos required for stitching under "Menu => Video & Photo => Photo". More photos result in more overlap for better stitching. I think 7 is the absolute minimum to have some overlap, 8 seems to be OK.

When activated Tello will do a photo, download it (or retry up to 3 times if a download fails / expires), rotate to the next position, do the next photo,download, ... until it has done a full 360°.
It does not stich by itself but it groups the pictures into subfolders for easy stitching using some app. Maybe you want to check if this is suitable for your preferred stitching app. I tried Bimostitch and it worked well. So well that I have no plans of integrating the stitching part into TelloFpv.

This will finally become v1.00 in a couple of days, once manual is updated and any remaining bugs are fixed.

So here we go. A bit later than expected but finally done: v0.99d
Again combined change log since last productive release

New
* VR mode
* Start recording automatically on stock flight programs 360, up&out, circle
* Option to start recording on takeoff
* Autopilot for making 360 pano photos (for manual stitching)

Changes
* Circle POI speed more flexible
* Iframe period 0 (not suitable for video recording, only for long distance FPV)
* Bitrate Auto removed

Fixes
* Controller disconnected if user removes one or more stick axis configurations
* Option "Re-encode photos" lost when app closed
* DEMO: RTH failed if minimum altitude was set above the 2m altitude restriction
* Activation of APs silently failed if VPS not active
* Low battery reported as Error Code 13

So the autopilot is an AP that automatically does the pictures required for a 360° panorama. You will find the button I guess.
You can define the number of photos required for stitching under "Menu => Video & Photo => Photo". More photos result in more overlap for better stitching. I think 7 is the absolute minimum to have some overlap, 8 seems to be OK.

When activated Tello will do a photo, download it (or retry up to 3 times if a download fails / expires), rotate to the next position, do the next photo,download, ... until it has done a full 360°.
It does not stich by itself but it groups the pictures into subfolders for easy stitching using some app. Maybe you want to check if this is suitable for your preferred stitching app. I tried Bimostitch and it worked well. So well that I have no plans of integrating the stitching part into TelloFpv.

This will finally become v1.00 in a couple of days, once manual is updated and any remaining bugs are fixed.
AWESOME! Thank you Volate!lo!!!

BTW: How is licensing going? I haven't heard anybody complain about it. Is it completely transparent to you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazyed