Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV

GabrielK

Reaction score
Funny, there is no way in android to identify a rounded screen... That is going to cause some interesting design concerns as more phones get these rounded screens.
Anyway, I just finished a version that has a option under "settings - misc" called "Adjust for rounded corner screen".

It just adds some free space in the corners. Not necessarily matching the corner inset (because there is no way of telling how much is required), but that is all I can do.

This is a demo build so you can install in parallel without affecting your normal TelloFpv app.
Have no screen isues with my galaxy S7 edge...

zantarob

Reaction score
I know where my tello is. In an 25m high tree. No way to reach it.
All is not lost! Same thing happened to me on day one (27m) - I got my cricket player son to hurl unripe manderines at it for 2 days until he knocked it loose one meter at a time. Finally tello was back with no broken bones. Now I have 2 tellos ;-)

zantarob

Reaction score
All is not lost! Same thing happened to me on day one (27m) - I got my cricket player son to hurl unripe manderines at it for 2 days until he knocked it loose one meter at a time. Finally tello was back with no broken bones. Now I have 2 tellos ;-)
I think he eventually got it with a soccer ball.

anielloz

Reaction score
@volate!lo

Excellent work. I thank you fixing rounded corners screen issue so fast (y)

Your fix works ok, but I'm afraid it needs a bit more free space at the right side to becomes perfect into my smartphone.

Here TelloFPV Rounded Screen setting NOT enabled:

View attachment 4138

Same with Rounded Screen setting enabled:
View attachment 4139
See right bottom green button still partially hidden

By the way, this phone model wear a camera notch in the upper, not used by lot of apps as TelloFPV. Due camera notch a vertical black bar is added at left side of screen in landscape mode. Your new Roundend Corners Adjust is not needed at left side of TelloFPV view.

Thanks a lot !

Raul.
In a phone with notch you will not have problems to the left, but in my case an S9 + if that is a problem especially in the menu, I do not pay much attention to it, it is a matter of the phone that things are cut in the 4 corners

Last edited:
Reactions: raulvolador

volate!lo

Reaction score
In a phone with notch you will not have problems to the left, but in my case an S9 + if that is a problem especially in the menu, I do not pay much attention to it, it is a matter of the phone that things are cut in the 4 corners
Well, there is currently 4 special display features in phones as far as I can see:

1) Curved edges like the s7 edge
2) Rounded corners
3) Infinity O Display (tiny pinhole for camera)
4) Notch for camera and speaker

The only thing that is detectable is the display notch (4), and only if the phone is running at least Android 9. The other 3 are unsupported by Android, so there is no wayto handle these automatically.
So in the long run app developers just won't use the corners, edges, or pinhole areas for anything useful.

raulvolador

Reaction score
@anielloz,

That's very interesting. Your S9+ has rounded corners but no camera notch, due this design you will suffer rounded corners issue both leftside and rightside when running TelloFPV.

galaxy s9+.jpg

I would like to hear @volate!lo opinion o_O

For sure he will find a fix for all type of rounded corners phone design.

All the best.

Raul
------

raulvolador

Reaction score
Try this one:
it has two options in the "settings - misc" to allow layout in the notch area, and to adjust the layout widthfor the rounded corners
@volate!lo

Wow ! you did it again ;)

"Use display notch area" on/off setting works great, now TelloFPV use void space at left side.

"Adjust for rounded screen" slider fixes rounded corners for wide variety of phone ecosystem. Maybe it need even a bit more travel adjust.

Unfortunatelly I can't attach images now as I would need a second mobile phone to take photo. I'll do it later.

Thanks a lot for your good work (y)

Raul

raulvolador

Reaction score
As promised, here are the images:

First, Notch Area not used, Rounded Corners Adjust to top value:
tellofpv corners.jpg

Another test, Notch Area enabled, Rounded Corners Adjust to zero:
tellofpv notch.jpg

Finally, Notch area enabled, Rounded Corners Adjust to top value:
tellofpv notch and corners.jpg

As you can see, the last one is the best for this specific phone model (Samsung Galaxy A40). Maybe you could allow a bit higher level of Adjustment for Rounded Screen.

From my point of view, you have implemented an excelent solution covering a wide range of phone screen designs . Congratulations ! (y)

All the best.

Raul.

Last edited:

FrequentFlyer

Reaction score
I was flying the Drone about 70 feet away on a 45 degree angle, I was using as a only Wi-Fi extender, Bluetooth turned off and I got disconnected from the drum twice when it wasn't even that far away, it was a total disconnect not a Wi-Fi interference and then it regained its connection after about 7 to 10 seconds which worries me cuz I want a flight a bit further than 70 feet

volate!lo

Reaction score
I was flying the Drone about 70 feet away on a 45 degree angle, I was using as a only Wi-Fi extender, Bluetooth turned off and I got disconnected from the drum twice when it wasn't even that far away, it was a total disconnect not a Wi-Fi interference and then it regained its connection after about 7 to 10 seconds which worries me cuz I want a flight a bit further than 70 feet
Was the phone still connected to the wifi extender, and the wifi extender to the drone? What was the exact message displayed by TelloFpv?

Yesterday I found the time to fly 4 batteries just for fun (instead of testing something). So it was 4 long VR FPV flights with distances of 100-200m in up to 30m altitude. Haven't found a single problem beside some minor issues with AP configuration screens in VR.

FrequentFlyer

Reaction score
It just brought up a msg like when you originally open the app and to connect to wifi. I was right next to the Extender and it showed connected on my phone

volate!lo

Reaction score
if it said "Please connect to Tello\'s wifi" it means that the phone had (momentarily) lost connection to the extender. Its highly unlikely that this was caused by the app. In fact the app does not control / change / manipulate the wifi connection in any way to eliminate the risk that it could cause such a problem.

If it said "Connecting to Tello..." it could theoretically be caused by a bug. In reality such a bug is not impossible but unlikely as I haven't touched that part of the code for weeks and the app is used for 2500+ flights per day.

Last edited:

rajones19

Reaction score
I had noticed those occluded buttons on the lower corners of my LG G7 screen, but never had not dawned on me it was because of the rounded corners of my display. DUH! The new release solves it almost entirely. Once again, my hat is off to VolaTello - fantastic work.

umanbean

Reaction score
I was right next to the Extender and it showed connected on my phone
If you have the xiaomi extender, the green light means it's connected to the access point on the Tello.

If you get disconnected again, check
  • exact wording of the error message
  • Wi-Fi connection on the phone drop-down status bar
  • Connect light on the extender

Last edited:

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi all,

For people with no automatic updates from Play Store (like me) I just realized than yesterday june 6 was published a new TelloFPV beta version 1.2k

New
* Options to adjust for phones with display notch / cutout
* Options to adjust for phones with round display corners
* Configure speed and direction of Boomerang 360

I installed it and works like a charm. As developer promised, it allow for a wider range of layout adjustment for rounded corners.

Thanks, @volate!lo ;)

Raul

Last edited:
Reactions: Flydrone

volate!lo

Reaction score
Hi all,

For people with no automatic updates from Play Store (like me) I just realized than yesterday june 6 was published a new TelloFPV beta version 1.2k

New
* Options to adjust for phones with display notch / cutout
* Options to adjust for phones with round display corners
* Configure speed and direction of Boomerang 360

I installed it and works like a charm. As developer promised, it allow for a wider range of layout adjustment for rounded corners.

Thanks, @volate!lo ;)

Raul
I thought it was such a minor release that its not really worth the message, but thanks anyway!
Actually its not a beta but a production release. With such a small change I felt brave enough to push it directly to production without going through beta test

raulvolador

Reaction score
I thought it was such a minor release that its not really worth the message, but thanks anyway!
Actually its not a beta but a production release. With such a small change I felt brave enough to push it directly to production without going through beta test
Ok., thanks ;)

By the way, Is there any way to differentiate a beta release of a production release ?

Raul.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joren