Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV

raulvolador

Reaction score
@volate!lo,

Totally agree with you.

By the way, your customer service is the the best I've ever seen.

I'll keep testing until you get sick of my ;)

Raul.

volate!lo

Reaction score
Actually I need as much "remote test bench" as I can get. I can't test much these days, its windy all the time and mostly raining. It will be another month or so before weather gets better typically.

Pac-tello

Reaction score
@volate!lo Do you have any plans to add any sort of Waypoint mission functionality to TelloFPV, by plotting points on a map? Obviously, the Tello doesn’t have GPS so you would have to start a mission by manually positioning a Home Point on the map as close as possible to your take-off point, but then it should be possible to fly a route by measuring the distance between the plotted map points and sending the relevant commands to fly a specific distance and then turn to face the next point. You could also add a parameter to limit the distance from the Home Point.

ihf

Reaction score
I asked this question and the answer was “dream on” (paraphrase). I think that DroneBlocks is the closest you are likely to get with the Tello.

MrSpok

Reaction score
Do you have any plans to add any sort of Waypoint mission functionality to TelloFPV
I think that DroneBlocks is the closest you are likely to get
Correct. But you can use Droneblocks or TelloFPV at one time. So flying to the start point, make your scratch exercise and then come home maually isn't possible. Also you can't stop the exercise when something is wrong. Maybe the Tello crashes, flys away or lands into the sea.

ihf

Reaction score
Yes. I wasn't suggesting that DroneBlocks does what we want, only that it permits you to repeat a flight path that you have to input with distances, turns, etc. @volate!lo said that he did not think that this feature would be terribly useful in TelloFPV as it is so dependent (among other things) on the exact starting location and orientation (not to mention wind and other course changes that the Tello cannot sense). Personally I think it would be kind of cool for indoor flying and I have played with Droneblocks but it is tedious to program a flight path as you cannot simply fly it and have it remember.

anielloz

Reaction score
Hi friend Volate!lo, Is it possible to use the master control and the student control both with a cell phone, having the app on both cell phones using google family, or is the student just using a joypad?

umanbean

Reaction score
@volate!lo said that he did not think that this feature would be terribly useful in TelloFPV
I agree, and i like tellofpv as an excellent, full-featured manual flight app, not as a programmable platform. If it grows too much in other directions, I'll just stop updating.

And I don't think a two-phone connection is possible... yet

Reactions: volate!lo

volate!lo

Reaction score
Hi friend Volate!lo, Is it possible to use the master control and the student control both with a cell phone, having the app on both cell phones using google family, or is the student just using a joypad?
Currently only one phone with up to 2 controllers is supported. No master / slave between phones (yet)

Yes. I wasn't suggesting that DroneBlocks does what we want, only that it permits you to repeat a flight path that you have to input with distances, turns, etc. @volate!lo said that he did not think that this feature would be terribly useful in TelloFPV as it is so dependent (among other things) on the exact starting location and orientation (not to mention wind and other course changes that the Tello cannot sense). Personally I think it would be kind of cool for indoor flying and I have played with Droneblocks but it is tedious to program a flight path as you cannot simply fly it and have it remember.
I could be a political correct nice guy and say: Hey, great idea. Let me think about this.

I prefer a clear communication: pre-recorded flights will never be implemented. See the roadmap in post #1 of this thread.
TelloFpv is about real world use cases in FPV, video, photo. Not about programming, or pre-recorded tricks, or something like this.

This type of functionality just doesn't fit into what I want TelloFpv to be. Yeah, that might sound arrogant, but this is a commercial project and I have to keep TelloFpv focused and in good shape to provide the best use for the majority of customers. Once it becomes a bunch of fun experiments with a cluttered interface its dead.

Also it just would not really work as Tello has no sense of absolute position or direction. It's all relative! You'd have to ensure Tello is exactly (!!) at the same position & direction each time you execute a flight plan. You can't assure this so Tello will constantly crash, at least for the vast majority of users.

@volate!lo Do you have any plans to add any sort of Waypoint mission functionality to TelloFPV, by plotting points on a map? Obviously, the Tello doesn’t have GPS so you would have to start a mission by manually positioning a Home Point on the map as close as possible to your take-off point, but then it should be possible to fly a route by measuring the distance between the plotted map points and sending the relevant commands to fly a specific distance and then turn to face the next point. You could also add a parameter to limit the distance from the Home Point.
Flight plans without real-world reference points are completely useless. Try aTelloPilot. You press some point on the screen and Tello flies by itself to this point. The only problem is: You have no clue where this point is in the real world. Your best guess is "somewhere in front of me... or maybe left or so"
Real map-based waypoints & flightplan would be very useful but require a GPS or GPS-like functionality, at the minimum a compass giving true direction. I'll let you know as soon as I find a hidden GPS or compass. Until then: Doesn't work.

anielloz

Reaction score
Will there be any possibility of the wifi signal showing the intensity lines, full in green, medium in orange, low in red ???, type the official app, and not only in db

hea-kun

Reaction score
volate! lo, Thank you for always providing a fun app.

I want to make a little request.
Please also sound a warning notice other than low battery.
When I am passionate about maneuvering, I may not notice warnings.
For example, low light condition, VPS inactive, Wifi interference, Wifi signal is weak ...

Next, when a VPS failure occurs, a very far abnormal value is displayed at that moment. As with display, record abnormal values in the flight log.
When Tello reaches such an unusual distance, can you remove it from the log?

MrSpok

Reaction score
Please also sound a warning notice other than low battery.
In my point of view it will be to much sound. If you anytime hear peep-peep-peep id would be disturbing. In addition, you will not know why it peeps and what causes it.
Only the events, that haves an influence to the security should give a sound.
Alternative there should be a speech sound. So the Tello talks with you while flying. But I guess, thats too much effort.

Reactions: Arthuar

Token2695

Reaction score
My vr goggles arrived yesterday and I have made a few flights since then, and guess what.. This is another dimension!! I knew it was worth it :D but it's waaay cooler than I thought! it feels like you are inside the tello and it makes you more confident and precise while going through windows and other obstacles. For all of you who already have a wired controller but don't have vr goggles, you are missing something! Get some cheap vr goggles you will see what i'm talking about. I bought the Blitzwolf vr3 goggles and tellofpv works great with it.

Token2695

Reaction score
Speaking of sound notifications, the only change I would like to see in that feature is a separated switch to turn off the shutter sound when tello takes pictures, it makes me feel like a voyeur, but at the same time I want to have the low battery warning turned On, that's important.

volate!lo

Reaction score
As you can see 4 people talking about warnings result 4 different ideas. Some want more visible notifications, other audible or speech.

If I add more audible notifications I'll have to make them configurable. I'd be seriously annoyed if the app started to beep on every low light warning. Configuration requires yet another config screen.
More audible warnings & necessary configuration are on the todo list, but not very high. As for speech output I can only direct you to post #1 of this epic thread.

Pac-tello

Reaction score
@volate!lo First, thank you for an excellent app and thank you for taking the time to answer everyone’s comments and requests. So that everyone can follow you on your development journey, could I suggest you post your roadmap of future functionality and timescales? I appreciate things can change, but it would give us all an idea of what we have to look forward to.

volate!lo

Reaction score
Even if some of you understand that development is a creative process (and sh*t happens) others will not, and so a public roadmap would create pressure.
Also it might give the (false) impression that features or priorities are up for public discussion. This is simply not the case. This is no democracy but pure dictatorship. I have my own vision that I follow.
So I don't publicly discuss my roadmap nor release timing.

The next release will add full support for all controllers. The only requirement will be that sticks are reported as 0 (or close to) when centered, and those buttons that are reported as sticks are also reported as 0 (or close to) when at rest. This mostly affect some DPads, and L2+R2 on some controllers.

After that I will do some basic work in stabilizing a few things, and improving video: Raul found a bug with the Iframe period, dynamic video bitrate needs work, and I want to try out alternative codecs. I guess that some are more error-tolerant than others as I can see differences between my LineageOs S4 and my stock ROM S4.

darkeagle03

Reaction score
Even if some of you understand that development is a creative process (and sh*t happens) others will not, and so a public roadmap would create pressure.
Also it might give the (false) impression that features or priorities are up for public discussion. This is simply not the case. This is no democracy but pure dictatorship. I have my own vision that I follow.

The next release will add full support for all controllers. The only requirement will be that sticks are reported as 0 (or close to) when centered, and those buttons that are reported as sticks are also reported as 0 (or close to) when at rest. This mostly affect some DPads, and L2+R2 on some controllers.

After that I will do some basic work in stabilizing a few things, and improving video: Raul found a bug with the Iframe period, dynamic video bitrate needs work, and I want to try out alternative codecs. I guess that some are more error-tolerant than others as I can see differences between my LineageOs S4 and my stock ROM S4.
I just wanted to jump in and say thank you for all your work and sticking to your guns. Building to your own vision with a tight scope always results in a better product than building a bunch of features that you're less enthusiastic about and clutter up not only the UI, but your own code and thought processes. What you've done so far is already great!

Reactions: volate!lo

Pac-tello

Reaction score

Thanks for the quick reply, and letting us know what is to come in the next release. As a developer myself I am well aware that publishing a detailed roadmap creates pressure. However, your first post in this thread does state:

“I will reveal details about new functions as soon as I am far enough into the implementation to decide if they will work well enogh to be useful.
If you have ideas for new features let me know.”

So the only reason for my post was to see if you would be willing to let us know what we might expect in the near future. Clearly, you have your “own vision” that you follow and as you say, features are not “up for public discussion”. That’s absolutely fine, however I would respectfully suggest that your attitude should sit somewhere between “democracy” and “dictatorship”... maybe “diplomacy”?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snaztastical