Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

This channel I follow (which has a good audience) just published a video about TelloFPV!

Cool. I don't use YT that much, so had not noticed. Some guy from this forum was in contact with him, and so we got in touch.

Sadly he did the video before v1.12 came out so no Dronie autopilot, and no enhanced video quality :-(

BTW: I'll rename the "Up&Away" autopilot. The more I look at it the more it seems odd. Sounds like "fly away". This will become a dronie

*Feature Request*
I love your app Volatello! Miles ahead of what the official Tello app is capable of. Do you have any plans to add a helix dronie to the autopilot. It is quite a cinematic styled shot. Basically a combination of Up&Away with a 360 rotation around the POI.
Here's a quick example of it:

Do you have any plans to add a helix dronie to the autopilot. It is quite a cinematic styled shot. Basically a combination of Up&Away with a 360 rotation around the POI

I don't know about @volate!lo opinion but from my point of view I'm afraid there are a great risk of crash using that kind of autopilot in our Tello.

Take into account Tello has lack of obstacle avoidance sensors. Circle POI autopilot also performs a side movement, but normally used at high altitude, above obstacles.

Unless your flight into a great, clear place like a meadow without trees, you will hit some obstacle during this complex maneouver.

This autopilot has nothing to do with the predictable path for a simple up&away (dronie)

Cheers

Raul.

Last edited:
*Feature Request*
I love your app Volatello! Miles ahead of what the official Tello app is capable of. Do you have any plans to add a helix dronie to the autopilot. It is quite a cinematic styled shot. Basically a combination of Up&Away with a 360 rotation around the POI.
Here's a quick example of it:

It would be easy to do, but as Raul said it has very limited use and many inherent risks. Its on the todo list as and extension to the POI Circle but not that high.

It would be easy to do, but as Raul said it has very limited use and many inherent risks. Its on the todo list as and extension to the POI Circle but not that high.
For the same reason, is the realization of the "follow me" feature low?

Hi,
WHAT ALL FEATURES ARE THERE IN YOUR TODO LIST?
what can we expect from tellofpv in future?

Just curious to know the upcoming features.Thanks in advance

I implement new functionality as it fits my personal priorities and I don't discuss the todo list publicly.

As for follow me: FollowMe is at the very top of the todo list.
But: Nobody ever came up with any idea how to make this work reliably with what Tello has to offer. So far I have not seen any approach to handle the issues with missing GPS and compass, nor the problems associated with a visual follow me that are nicely shown in aTelloPilot.

That said I am currently experimenting with some pretty ground breaking functionality. I've played with an idea for a couple of months already but I never found the time to test it. Now that TelloFpv is stable and pretty functionality rich I think its time to get this one rolling.
If it works it will be released as a paid add-on to TelloFpv, unlocking a few pretty interesting functions. If it does not work to my expectations I just wasted over a week of dev time on a stupid idea. Either way I will let you know in a few days. I need a few days of good weather to test outdoors.

I implement new functionality as it fits my personal priorities and I don't discuss the todo list publicly.

But: Nobody ever came up with any idea how to make this work reliably with what Tello has to offer. So far I have not seen any approach to handle the issues with missing GPS and compass, nor the problems associated with a visual follow me that are nicely shown in aTelloPilot.

That said I am currently experimenting with some pretty ground breaking functionality. I've played with an idea for a couple of months already but I never found the time to test it. Now that TelloFpv is stable and pretty functionality rich I think its time to get this one rolling.
If it works it will be released as a paid add-on to TelloFpv, unlocking a few pretty interesting functions. If it does not work to my expectations I just wasted over a week of dev time on a stupid idea. Either way I will let you know in a few days. I need a few days of good weather to test outdoors.

Breaking functionality ... unlocking pretty interesting functions... o_O

If you were looking to arouse our curiosity you got it !

We will stay looking forward....

By the way, I performed last flights wearing FPV goggles. It was a wonderful experience using new autopilots mapped to my USB controller. I only missed a Bitrate-Change quick button asignament. I had to unwear my VR goggles a couple of times for accesing video menu through smartphone touch screen. I hope my request not be very far into your list.

Raul.

On the other way, I agree you offer new funcionality as a paid add-on. TelloFPV is an stable product. If you continue developing the software you can charge for your services.

Reactions: hea-kun

Thanks for reply.
So you gave a hint that we can expect follow me soon.

Also we can expect multiple functions.

Ground breaking functionality very eager to know it.

For gps and compass if you can find something from phone that allows tello to follow phone it would be amazing.
Eg: take phone gps as reference. Allow user to lock poi. Move tello with respect to movement of phone by using phone gps as reference. I don't know if it's possible.

Or else I think image processing is the way. But for both since tello don't have obstacle avoidance it should be at flyers risk

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.
So you gave a hint that we can expect follow me soon.

Also we can expect multiple functions.

Ground breaking functionality very eager to know it.

For gps and compass if you can find something from phone that allows tello to follow phone it would be amazing.
Eg: take phone gps as reference. Allow user to lock poi. Move tello with respect to movement of phone by using phone gps as reference. I don't know if it's possible.

Or else I think image processing is the way. But for both since tello don't have obstacle avoidance it should be at flyers risk
You are interpreting too much in my post. Maybe I should rephrase it: FollowMe is at the very top of the "wish list" but nobody has ever come up with a viable solution.

Maybe I should rephrase it: FollowMe is at the very top of the "wish list" but nobody has ever come up with a viable solution.

Just for the record... as far as I'm concerned, forget ever implementing 'follow me'... a useless and possibly dangerous feature just for the 'look at me' generation.

Up until now, I enjoyed updating this app with wild abandon and reveling in the new features... will probably stop at 1.12 and take a hard look at new feature updates from now on

Personally, I am happy with @volatello implementing any and all features he can. Buyer (or flyer) beware. If you have doubts about a feature, either don't use it or test it carefully for yourself. This is not a Boeing Max 8.

Reactions: Tubaman
Instead of a ‘Follow Me’ mode it would be easier to implement a simple stationary ‘Track Me’ mode:

You send the drone up and out to a point, but facing back to you. Obviously, you know how far out and height. Then initiate ‘Track Me’ whereby the app records your current position using GPS on your device. Then as you move the app records the new GPS location from which it can calculate if you have moved closer, further away or to the left or right in relation to the drone, and by what distance. Using basic trigonometry you can then yaw the drone by the calculated degree to keep it facing towards you. A bit like a reverse POI where the drone remains in a static point and you do the moving.

Something like that anyway!

Hello,
Just a little idea : it could be nice to have possibility to make stereo pictures (3D side by side pics, one pic shooted for each eye). People who have fpv google could use them to see the result...

Last edited:
I have a wish list:
Could audio track be added to the recorded video?
I know that Tello has no mic, but just use the phone mic is fine. Sometimes I just want to recorded the environment sound not far from the tello. Currently, tello's muted video is sometimes boring.
I don't know how heavy library will be introduced, just a wish.

Reactions: spamaro
it could be nice to have possibility to make stereo pictures (3D side by side pics, one pic shooted for each eye)

In my opinion, you needn't any special mode for taking 3D stereo pictures. You only have to shoot a picture, then side move slightly and take a second picture. At the end of flight use a third-part image processing software for combining both pictures into a 3D image, also called anaglyph:

anaglyph creation.jpg

Once anaglyph is created you have to use a red/blue goggles for enjoy 3D effect:

anaglyph goggles.jpg

Full anaglyph manual creation instructions can be found here: STEREO . I realized lot of websites allow you to create them online too.

All the best.

Raul.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alqar