Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Hi there, I had a few flights last week and I played a bit with the APs.
I noticed several times that the AP has been stopped during flight.
I think it has been due to wind gust. Has anyone the same experience? It looks that AP is stopped when there is warning "fly with caution" am I right?

APs are deactivated under the following conditons:
  • The AP finished
  • The user pressed some buttons (stop, another AP, land, ...)
  • The user moved some stick that is not for AP control (e.g. on POI circle one can use Roll to change the circling speed, and Throttle to adjust altitude, but Pitch or Yaw cancel the AP)
  • No VPS data received for a couple of seconds (need to check, I think 2 or 3), which can happen with a very bad wifi link
  • VPS switched off (even if just for a split second)
The last point is the most likely unless you have been playing with the controls. Anything that switches VPS off, even if just for half a second, would stop an Autopilot.
Wind can cause VPS to switch off, but TelloFpv does not issues meaningless warnings like "fly with caution" or "flying in windless conditions is recommended". That i leave to the ryze app. I think anybody knows what he is doing, and wind warnings are overrated IMO.

I just had an idea howto improve this dependency on VPS a bit, so that APs should continue for a second or two even with VPS off. I will add that to the todo list.

APs are deactivated under the following conditons:
  • The AP finished
  • The user pressed some buttons (stop, another AP, land, ...)
  • The user moved some stick that is not for AP control (e.g. on POI circle one can use Roll to change the circling speed, and Throttle to adjust altitude, but Pitch or Yaw cancel the AP)
  • No VPS data received for a couple of seconds (need to check, I think 2 or 3), which can happen with a very bad wifi link
  • VPS switched off (even if just for a split second)
The last point is the most likely unless you have been playing with the controls. Anything that switches VPS off, even if just for half a second, would stop an Autopilot.
Wind can cause VPS to switch off, but TelloFpv does not issues meaningless warnings like "fly with caution" or "flying in windless conditions is recommended". That i leave to the ryze app. I think anybody knows what he is doing, and wind warnings are overrated IMO.

I just had an idea howto improve this dependency on VPS a bit, so that APs should continue for a second or two even with VPS off. I will add that to the todo list.

Thanks a lot for an issue explanation Volate!lo (y)
I found there potential causes of my report, your points 4,5.

Case 1 - I tried a dronie and around 100m distance, signal changed from 90db to 70db and picture become much more grainy, soon after that I received message from app that AP has been stopped by user. I´m pretty sure I didn´t hit display at that time.

Case 2 - I flown just around 30 meters away, receiving red lightnings a couple of times, than again AP stopped with same message. Home possition has been moved sideways around10 meters.

Those ryze app warnings are annoying features that I do not miss at all :)

A quick thank you to Volate!lo for all this work. I can't say I understand 15% of it, but I'm super happy to be able to reliably use my Tello again after a lot of hassles of phone/controller configuration failures.
First time starting the app, easily connected to the drone and my controller, flying in minutes.
This app gave my my Tello back!
Thanks! (and $5 is a bargain!)

Reactions: hyip2
Hi volatello,

Is it possible to implement circle poi by automatic calculating distance.? Instead of manual distance entry.

Because the user can manually adjust the tello required distance to poi according to his need and starts the circle poi. The tello should calculate the distance and start circling with the same.

This would avoid wrong distance entry from the user.

Hi volatello,

Is it possible to implement circle poi by automatic calculating distance.? Instead of manual distance entry.

Because the user can manually adjust the tello required distance to poi according to his need and starts the circle poi. The tello should calculate the distance and start circling with the same.

This would avoid wrong distance entry from the user.
This is already implemented, just check the manual.

Short version: Fly to the POI, drop the POI marker, then fly to the starting point for your circle.

Start POI Circle autopilot and at the top select "POI" instead of a distance (press "-" a coupe of times if its not automatically shown).

BTW: You can also circle around the home position. When in the AP configuration screen on the "POI" selection press "-" once again for "Home".

If all you want is to start DUrecorder or a sound app at the same time as TelloFPV, wouldn’t Tasker solve that?
Just tested and confirmed that with 3 lines (actions) in Tasker, one button press starts TelloFPV, connects phone to Tello Wifi, and starts DU Recorder. In addition to Tasker you will need the free plugin Wifi Connect.

This is already implemented, just check the manual.

Short version: Fly to the POI, drop the POI marker, then fly to the starting point for your circle.

Start POI Circle autopilot and at the top select "POI" instead of a distance (press "-" a coupe of times if its not automatically shown).

BTW: You can also circle around the home position. When in the AP configuration screen on the "POI" selection press "-" once again for "Home".
Is it possible to get distance automatically instead of moving to poi and again realigning?
By this we can save some flight time.

Is it possible to get distance automatically instead of moving to poi and again realigning?
By this we can save some flight time.

I would think this is not possible since Tello has no GPS. It has to "memorize" a start point and then perform calculations based on inputs from that start point to determine its current position.

I would think this is not possible since Tello has no GPS. It has to "memorize" a start point and then perform calculations based on inputs from that start point to determine its current position.
But how circle poi is working if you set distance manually? Here you are not defining any start point. Just you point the tello bird symbol to poi and start.

So i think tellofpv calculates the approximate distance between tello and the poi.

So i think this feature should be possible.

Reactions: 727family
You can fly there, and set a POI. Or you can say Tello "the POI is 5m ahead". Or you can use the takeoff position as POI and circle around that.

I have no idea what other ways exist to identify a position, other than clicking on a map. Please explain what you mean.

You can fly there, and set a POI. Or you can say Tello "the POI is 5m ahead". Or you can use the takeoff position as POI and circle around that.

I have no idea what other ways exist to identify a position, other than clicking on a map. Please explain what you mean.
I thought tellofpv was calculating distance to poi based on bird marker.

So how lock poi works? If I am 2m from poi and set lock poi to 5m tello moves 3m away or 5m?

Lock Poi doesn't move Tello anywhere. All it does is lock the heading of Tello towards the POI. That is the POI stays in the video while _you_ fly Tello around.
See here:

from the Lock POI section of the manual :
This autopilot allows you to select the target, and Tello needs to be at a minimum distance of 1m from the target to activate the autopilot. Once activated it will rotate towards the POI and keep Tello’s heading directed to the POI. Tello will just hover in place and you are in control to move Tello around. Tello will constantly adjust its heading to keep facing the POI, allowing you to do more interesting shots like an elliptical move towards the POI, then pass it in a few meters distance and fly away from it, while constantly facing the POI. Similar to a cable cam passing a POI.

In case you haven't found the manual: Its available under menu-help and also attached to the first post of this thread.

Reactions: spamaro
My (pure) guess is that once someone begins using TelloFPV they rarely, if ever, go back to the Manufacturer’s app. Perhaps to download new firmware, if and when that occurs?

play a bit with the Ryze app frist to learn a thing or two about Tello's quirks like how Tello drifts in slow mode, or auto-lands when flying over water, or is extremely sluggish in low altitudes, or suddenly has sluggish yaw for no obvious reason.
Its best to experience all this first in the normal app so you don't think these are issues created by TelloFpv ?

Then get the demo and try that. You never know, I had reports of maybe 10 or so phones that just had problems that could not be fixed. Individual phones that is, not particluar models. Most often its related to rooted phones with modifications, antivirus software, power savers, that sor of thing

Reactions: Flydrone
Hello friend @volate!lo it is possible to increase the clim rate in uo & away, you can only control the cruise speed but I feel that to climb 20m you need a lot of space without obstacles, i would like to control that or to ascend faster

Hi there,
the climb rate is automatically calculated so that the POI in the center of the screen stays in the center.
If up&away went up faster, the POI would travel down in the video, and possibly drop out of the video.

But there is some room for modification. I will look into this and see what I can do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wroxel