Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

happy new year!!

At this point in time it looks unlikely that the IOS app will ever be released. Apple has some strict review guidelines to decide which app is allowed into the walled garden of eternal happiness and boredom.

In this case they made up new rule: If an app controls external devices the developer has to have official authorization from the manufacturer. Otherwise its not published. Bummer.

This rule isn't documented anywhere but they just derive it from "do not infringe copyrights" which I certainly don't do. Reverse engineering is perfectly legal as long as no patents are affected.

Its Apple's store and they rule the admission process and can make up rules in any way they want.
I am trying to convince them that a public SDK implies authorization but so far no luck. Common sense does not prosper at Apple - they just follow some written review scheme blindly. No authorization letter - no admission

At the same time I am trying to get authorization from Ryze. First response from support was kind of negative, but they forwarded my request to the developer support team. This also looks a bit unlikely to succeed but we shall see.

Currently I don't really expect to be able to publish the IOS app. There is no other way to distribute an IOS app so it looks like I will just sell all the hardware i purchased for this project and call it a day.

happy new year!!

At this point in time it looks unlikely that the IOS app will ever be released. Apple has some strict review guidelines to decide which app is allowed into the walled garden of eternal happiness and boredom.

In this case they made up new rule: If an app controls external devices the developer has to have official authorization from the manufacturer. Otherwise its not published. Bummer.

This rule isn't documented anywhere but they just derive it from "do not infringe copyrights" which I certainly don't do. Reverse engineering is perfectly legal as long as no patents are affected.

Its Apple's store and they rule the admission process and can make up rules in any way they want.
I am trying to convince them that a public SDK implies authorization but so far no luck. Common sense does not prosper at Apple - they just follow some written review scheme blindly. No authorization letter - no admission

At the same time I am trying to get authorization from Ryze. First response from support was kind of negative, but they forwarded my request to the developer support team. This also looks a bit unlikely to succeed but we shall see.

Currently I don't really expect to be able to publish the IOS app. There is no other way to distribute an IOS app so it looks like I will just sell all the hardware i purchased for this project and call it a day.

Oh ****! There are other apps for controlling the Tello on the App Store. How did they manage to get published?

happy new year!!

But as you know you have a verry loyal Android fanbase. And I Think they like easy to use Software too ?.
I know thats not in your Interest with this Project, but always a Solution✌

Reactions: IroN
I am sorry about IOS users. It seems you have to focus your effort into Android development ;)

I would suggest you exhaust every possibility before ditching ios development. From a business point of view, there is a major revenue flow to be expected.

Personally speaking I am deep in the apple ecosystem and bought an android phone just for TelloFPV.

Reactions: martinpi
There is no reasonable way to sideload on apple devices. Which is one of the reason why I wanted to try this, as I can see that about 25% of the apps being used are pirate copies. In one country I have more pirate users than legal users.
This sort of problem does not exist in Apple's world, at least not to this extend. The average Apple user has not the remotes clue how to sideload something.

I can't really see how the cash flow will be. Its hard to judge, as apple has a significant market share only in a handful countries. Some of these are strong drone markets, others not so much.

Anyway, I will try to get authorization from Ryze, but so far they have only sent me a note that they will look into this. At the same time I am escalating this with the Apple review team.

"Please set all controller sticks to neutral first" - well this one prevented me a few times to just fire up the machines. I appreciate when people care about my tello - maybe it's just my weird Xbox360 controller.
Did you ever fix this? I tried the stop button today that shuts off the Tello and then I got that same message and I couldn't get my Tello to fire up.

The stop button has nothing to do with this.

Except of course in case you hammered the stop button on the controller so hard that it reports wrong positions now!

check the controller with a gamepad tester app. I am sure it will tell you the same, the controller has a calibration issue.

FOR THE IOS ISSUE: Please make one as we can still sideload the app using cydia impactor. Many thanks.

Depends on what happens next with my IOS app. If its finally rejected I may look into this, after releasing some FolowMe app for Android.
Otherwise I think I will be busy for some time.
Hi, will you have a look on that?

Inviato dal mio Note10+ 5G utilizzando Tapatalk

any news on that?

I was never able to reproduce but I think I have an idea what causes this. I hope its fixed in the next release (goes into beta test on play store later today). But I don't have any evidence it is actually fixed.

FOR THE IOS ISSUE: Please make one as we can still sideload the app using cydia impactor. Many thanks.
Sorry but that won't happen. I won't spend even one more hour on this app if I can't get it published on App store.
Actually I will get rid of all my Apple hardware ASAP if I can't release the app. Not because I'm mad at them, but because I don't like their OS and I have zero interest in using anything Apple.

While the app will be gone the concept will be ported to Android.

But I am not yet giving up. Maybe Apple review escalation will lead to something. I will trigger that tomorrow. I will continue to pester them until they either accept the app, or ban me from their App store. My first boss once told me I'm a PITA :)

Reactions: bsaridar and IroN
To join the beta test:
Go to play store, open tellofpv paid app, then scroll down to the very bottom and you will see a button to join the beta test. If its not there then the test slots may be full.

Please let me know if this fixes your video corruption problem.

The beta was just released on play store but roll-out may take some time as always. It should show up in a few hours:

New
* Cinematic mode (extreme slow video mode, with smoothened yaw)
* Follow Terrain (Tello keeps altitude relative to ground)
* Set Wifi name and password
* Manually request keyframe (tap bitrate or corruption indicator)
* Speed indictor also shows rate boost / limit by appending a B / L

Changed
* Menu structure

Fixed
* Corrupt videos on rare occasions

As always the manual is not yet updated so here a few notes:

Cinematic mode:
Similar to Tripod in DJI Go or CineSmooth in DJI Fly.
Extremely slow mode for smooth indoor footage, at full speed Tello does under 2km/h or 1.5mph. Input is smoothened / filtered, so even if you go full yaw left Tello will start to rotate slow and speed up. If you just let the stick go it will slowly stop, making a much smoother footage.

To enter Cinematic mode: When in Video mode long press the green "V" at the bottom left corner, it will become "C". You can't enter Cinematic mode directly from Sport mode (I am sure someone would manage to loose his Tello).
To exit Cinematic, long press again to go to video, short press to go to Sport.
If Cinematic mode is too slow / fast you can use Rate boost / Rate Limit to cut the stick output in half, or double it.
Cinematic mode currently uses 40% rate at full pitch for example. If you press Rate Limit the output becomes 20%, with rate boost it becomes 80%.

I still need to play a bit with the speeds in this mode, maybe I will make it configurable.
Also I am still thinking how to make Rate limit / Rate boost accessible for users not using a controller.

Rate Limit / Boost indicator
The left bottom "V" / "S" / "C" will now be followed by a "L" or "B" to indicated rate boost or rate limit.

Follow Terrain:
There is a new button on the left side. You can activate it only when under 10m altitude, and Tello will follow the terrain, that is it will follow the slope of a hill up and down, keeping the same distance from the ground. Of course if you fly over bushes, trees, tables, houses, etc it will follow whatever Tello thinks is the ground.
You can still fly up & down as you like. If you stay below 10m Tello will use the new altitude from ground. If you fly over 10m Terrain mode will switch off.

Set wifi and password:
Available from the menu. The new Xiaomi app requires you to set a password on the wifi you want to extend, so this was necessary to support users of the Xiaomi extender. Don't worry about me spying your wifi passwords. The chinese take care of that :ROFLMAO:

Manually request key frame:
As explained a few times Iframes are requested to repair a broken video feed, but cause a blurring effect.
To get perfect video you want to avoid IFrames, so you set a very long Iframe period, or even completely disable periodic IFrame requests.
If a stream damage is detected a new IFrame is always requested, but if such damage goes unnoticed the resulting jitter / pixel garbage to stay on the screen for very long time (since periodic IFrames are deactivated).
'To clear this jitter you can manually request an IFrame by tapping on the bitrate / stream corruption indicator.

One more thing:
While testing of the cinematic mode I found something interesting, at least for my S7 with stock ROM (haven't tested on other devices):
It is important to activate the phone's flight mode and then only activate Wifi.

I know this has been said often also by myself, but more often then not I just deactivated mobile data (BT is always off for me) and though this would do the same thing, but still allow me to receive calls.
Its not the same. If the phone is not in flight mode some background process checks network connectivity and causes some minimal lag every few seconds. That background process is gone in flight mode with only Wifi on.

wow.. a lot of new interesting features!!!

about beta testing I don't see the button (I have the paid version).. that's why I asked you (I am beta tester of many other apps and I know how it works)..
any chance to give me access to beta program?
many thanks

Maybe it was just not there because there was no beta version available. The upload still isn't live, seem play store is slow to roll out these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guillaum19