Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Light Mod

TimTwerp

Reaction score
Here is my mod for flying the tello at night!
I added two lights from Banggood. 5.99 each plus freight. All hardware to mount without modification to the tello is included. I mounted through each motor structure. It fits perfect.
Here is the Link:
VISUO XS812 RC Drone Quadcopter Spare Parts Searchlight Illumination LED Night Light Lamp Set
One light articulates downward to assist positioning, The second provides illumination for the camera.
Both lights add about 1/2 ounce total to tello, each is self contained, and rechargeable thru USB. You can remove the lights with a small phillips head, and leave the mounting attached. Im very happy with the mod and Tello seems fine with the extra load. (Im sure I have reduced the flight time but I keep 5 batteries and two tellos flying) I will try it in the wind, I hope the added weight will work well in the wind. I will let you know.

The first three photos show the mod.
The last three photos are flying in the dark.

This is my original tello, I have replaced one motor. I fly it FPV with a VuFine eyepiece. This new Night time Mod is in thanks to the many on this forum who motivated me to fly at night. I have another tello for everyday carry!

Enjoy.
TimWIN_20190204_14_50_13_Pro.jpgWIN_20190204_14_54_28_Pro.jpgWIN_20190204_14_55_00_Pro.jpg20190204150853.JPG20190204150448.JPG20190204150410.JPGWIN_20190204_14_54_28_Pro.jpg

Measured at .3 oz each. Ill try to find a gram scale. If I round up, still less than 20 grams for both.
They do look big on the tello.

Reactions: xcrost
This works well. Place the tello in a pitch black room, control from outside the room... all good fun! Why? just because...
Outside in the dark, it flies well if you stay within 6 feet of the ground. Wind? ok if ground has contrast with the downward pointing light. Flown higher and it loses ability to find its position and you are flying a drone with lights for orientation... fast mode for windy nights! The lights make it easy to find if you...what?, lose it?

Attachments

• 20190204150410.JPG
    20190204150410.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190204201955.JPG
    20190204201955.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 102
This works well. Place the tello in a pitch black room, control from outside the room... all good fun! Why? just because...
Outside in the dark, it flies well if you stay within 6 feet of the ground. Wind? ok if ground has contrast with the downward pointing light. Flown higher and it loses ability to find its position and you are flying a drone with lights for orientation... fast mode for windy nights! The lights make it easy to find if you...what?, lose it?
Awesome,this light is exactly what i was looking for,everybody else is hardwiring tnier light which is cool if tjats what you want but i just wanted one self contained led light to mount on top when i want to fly at night and i might try to make it work with a suction cup and i think im gonna get 2 more to put on my 5th scale gas truck as 2 headlights,thanks a bunch buddy !

Here is my mod for flying the tello at night!
I added two lights from Banggood. 5.99 each plus freight. All hardware to mount without modification to the tello is included. I mounted through each motor structure. It fits perfect.
Here is the Link:
VISUO XS812 RC Drone Quadcopter Spare Parts Searchlight Illumination LED Night Light Lamp Set
One light articulates downward to assist positioning, The second provides illumination for the camera.
Both lights add about 1/2 ounce total to tello, each is self contained, and rechargeable thru USB. You can remove the lights with a small phillips head, and leave the mounting attached. Im very happy with the mod and Tello seems fine with the extra load. (Im sure I have reduced the flight time but I keep 5 batteries and two tellos flying) I will try it in the wind, I hope the added weight will work well in the wind. I will let you know.

The first three photos show the mod.
The last three photos are flying in the dark.

This is my original tello, I have replaced one motor. I fly it FPV with a VuFine eyepiece. This new Night time Mod is in thanks to the many on this forum who motivated me to fly at night. I have another tello for everyday carry!

Enjoy.
TimView attachment 3052View attachment 3053View attachment 3054View attachment 3055View attachment 3056View attachment 3057View attachment 3053
Hello Tim, can you please add some photos of the top and sides of the TELLO, so that I can see how you attached the lamps? Thanks in advance. Grtz, Peter

Hi Tim.

How did you managed to land the drone with this led mounted? Can u show me how did you fastened the light on the top of the Tello?
Anyway, I also added a mod to my Telllo. I would like to do light painting, the first shots yesterday was not a big success, but we learn every day arent we?
I found out that there is a maximum 35x25 mm place to mount on the top of the drone.
I use my Pixel 3a-s Astrophotography mode for recording light trail.

Photos from my solution:

IMG_20200115_221102.jpg
MVIMG_20200115_220040.jpg
IMG_20200115_220429.jpg
IMG_20200115_220511.jpg

Greg

Reactions: The_5treet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members