Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Tello-EDU SDK

Krag

Reaction score
It looks like we finally have a real SDK for the Tello Tello EDU Including how to decode the video.

https://dl-cdn.ryzerobotics.com/downloads/Tello/Tello SDK 2.0 User Guide.pdf
dji-sdk/Tello-Python

Depending on how well the "swam support" works it could be a big win for everyone. It should let the Tello join a Wifi network with a much stronger signal than the built in one. And if it can hop networks you could potentially fly from hotspot to hotspot. Like in a big office environment.

UPDATE: It looks like this SDK will only work with the new Tello EDU version and not the original Tello. At least with the current firmware the original does not include most of the commands that the new one supports. :-(

UPDATE2: According to @rogo-amigo here DJITelloPy: A new python wrapper for Tello the SDK changes from 1.3 to 2.0 are:

The new commands are:
stop (hovers in air)
ap ssid pass
read commands
-sdk?
-sn?
mission pad commands:
- mon
- moff
- mdirection x
- go x y z speed mid
- curve x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 speed mid
- jump x y z speed yaw mid1 mid2

the read commands that have been removed? are
height?
temp?
attitude?
baro?
acceleration?
tof?

Last edited:
Very cool!!
Anyone got lucky streaming video with the SDK command "streamon" (I did establish the server before applying step1, 2,4 and then 5). Response I received back was 'Unknown Command' on port 8889.

It looks like we finally have a real SDK for the Tello. Including how to decode the video.

https://dl-cdn.ryzerobotics.com/downloads/Tello/Tello SDK 2.0 User Guide.pdf
dji-sdk/Tello-Python

Depending on how well the "swam support" works it could be a big win for everyone. It should let the Tello join a Wifi network with a much stronger signal than the built in one. And if it can hop networks you could potentially fly from hotspot to hotspot. Like in a big office environment.
Please clarify "it should let the Tello join a WiFi network with a much stronger signal than the built in one."

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Tello has its own wifi router built in. And your phone connects to it like it's just another wifi connection. Swarm works with dedicating a laptop/desktop HD Cam pointed in direction of where you want to fly. The computer visually tracks the Tello's and adjusts input to keep them in a certain spot. Otherwise they would just crash into one another at some point

Please clarify "it should let the Tello join a WiFi network with a much stronger signal than the built in one."

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Tello has its own wifi router built in. And your phone connects to it like it's just another wifi connection.
Swarm support allows the Tello to connect to a existing Wifi router. Otherwise the swarm would need as many phones as you have Tellos.

Swarm works with dedicating a laptop/desktop HD Cam pointed in direction of where you want to fly. The computer visually tracks the Tello's and adjusts input to keep them in a certain spot. Otherwise they would just crash into one another at some point
I don't think that is how it works. You don't use a desktop pc camera for anything as far as I know.

Wait so is there any upgrades to the physical copponents that makes it worth the extra money to buy the new model. Would the edu be usable just as much for video?

No idea. It is 0.7 grams heavier.
Is the new SDK for all Tello models or do you need the EDU version to use?
I tried it tonight and sadly most of the new commands do not work on the original Tello. "streamon" seems to be one that is at least accepted. But the AP command says "unknown command". Pity...

I think we should keep track of the firmware version on the original Tellos so as soon anyone gets a newer version, we can test with the new SDK. Currently mine has firmware version 1.4.35.1 (as it appears in the official app), for the loader 0.0.1.5 and the app itself 1.2.16.10. If anyone gets an update we can track a newer version to spread the word and test. Wish that SDK was more complete, I mean, lots of things you can potentially do but limited by the SDK. Meanwhile I'm developing a Windows 10 app, I don't use iOS nor Android, so I need to develop a Windows 10 app that works in my Windows Mobile device, but I'm looking forward enable it as well for PC and even XBox support, that way you can control de Tello with a PC, laptop, tablet using screen controls, keyboard, mouse, Bluetooth controller etc. Whenever I get the app to be at a decent stage I'll look for some beta testers.

I think it is completely ridiculous that DJI/Ryze has announced a new Tello (EDU) in order to use the new functions in SDK 2.0. They should have improved the existing Tello rather than creating a new more expensive product with different firmware.

I think it is completely ridiculous that DJI/Ryze has announced a new Tello (EDU) in order to use the new functions in SDK 2.0. They should have improved the existing Tello rather than creating a new more expensive product with different firmware.

Agreed!!! The "old" sdk is kinda crippled, and my gut feeling tells me there's a lot more hidden power within that Intel Myriad to be unleashed. And doesn anyone know what the difference in hardware is?

Let us know if you succeed and if it gives Tello access to SDK 2.0 functions.

Are the Tello / Tello EDU different physical hardware platforms or are they just rebranded? Intrigued if the edu firmware brain transplant is backwardly compatible with the Tello classic?

Using the iPad / Swift Playground "Tello Space Travel" doesn't seem to work on my non Tello edu, but Gobot.io works fine with my firstgen Tello.

Current specs:

Firmware: 01.04.35.01
Loader: 00.00.01.05
App: 1.1.14

Great forum btw.

No. I looked into it but never seriously tried. Since then I saw a thread here somewhere where someone tried and it failed. I don't remember the details.

Same here, trying to send the AP command to a non-EDU edition, so far I couldn't manage to do it, if anyone did manage it will be greatly appreciated

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv