Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New to Drones - Interested in tips for my 10yo son

Oz_T-Rex

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for having me in this community.

I have just bought my 10yo son a Tello for his upcoming birthday, along with a spare battery. Now I can see there are also remotes, and wifi repeaters that people are using. Could you please offer advice on what I should get him to kick off what will hopefully be a new and exciting journey into the world of drones for him?

I can see some people recommend the T1/T1s remotes due to OTG connectivity, but to be honest, I'm not even really sure how that works. Do you plug the remote into your phone? Is the USB connector to the remote and micro-USB to the phone? Also how do the wifi repeaters work? Do you have one for where you are controlling the Tello from and another further away? (Sorry if these are silly questions)

I'm guessing I'll have to buy a heap of spare propellers, and a couple more batteries, but are there any 3rd party parts that I should consider over genuine Tello parts?

Anyhow, any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....

Welcome,

I'll let others chime in regarding some of your questions, but if definitely suggest going ahead and buying a few extra batteries. The time goes fast when you're flying. I also picked up a small case on Amazon which is nice to keep everything together and toss in the car when going to the park etc.

Also, take a look at the TelloFPV app. Well worth the few dollars and miles ahead of the stock app. You 'll be glad you did.

I have a T1d controller and don't use a cable. It works fine for me. I've heard the other with a cable is better, but honestly I'm happy at the moment with the setup I have.

Hope you and your son have a blast. It's a great little quad.

Reactions: Maximumsol
Hello and welcome to the world of Tello Drones.

We have 4 Tello Drones, Yellow and White covers,Tello Ironman edition props and guards on the front and standard Black OEM props and guards on the back. This makes for a nice bright, visible drone even at 100 ' up and several hundred feet away. Not to mention finding it after you've crashed.

1st off, Spare/extra batteries are definitely a must have, as well as a 4 slot charger and a case. Keep the prop guards on, at least for now. I recommend Ironman props and guards, they're Red, put them on the front, makes it easier to see, you can find ALL this, mostly on Amazon. DJI sells the Ironman stuff, if you can't find it elsewhere....E-bay? The OEM props and guards are far superior to any aftermarket parts. Extra props, use the tool, and make sure of the order, it won't fly if you do the props incorrectly. Get the TelloFPV app, Google play store, it has features well beyond the Stock app. You'll see. T1s controller, (I have both) then you can OTG, if you really want to, which just eliminates the Bluetooth connection. Wi-Fi extenders give you more range, a more powerful signal. Neither of these are necessary to fly your drone, but they do help..... once you have flown a couple of hundred feet away you'll understand the desire for strong signals.....LOL. Don't worry, you WILL crash, a lot at first. Watch out for trees.......rooftops are easy, as long as it's yours..... 30 ft in the tree, where you can't see it.... That's another thing.

Big fields, open areas, less trees, buildings to crash into, take it easy at first, it's a lot faster than you think, especially on fast/sport mode. Learn the basics, low and slow at first. Outside is much better than inside, make a little obstacle course and practice.

Most of ALL, have fun flying.

See you in the Sky.

Reactions: Maximumsol
You can start by installing and buying the tello fpv app and a bt controller. That way you can use the student and master configuration and your kid then use one controller on student mode and you use the phone on master. If something goes wrong you can then intervene immediately. Also set a low altitude limit between 5 and 10 m at first because kids (and parents) will be kids? and get carried away. Sport mode is better at first because the tello then reacts immediately. In video mode it tries to be as stable as possible and can take longer to react. But kids of today and technology and better connected these days anyways. Both my daughters probably fly better than me and I didn't even had to teach them anything because the learned by watching YouTube anyways. Once you are confident with your kids abiltys you can then start with add ons like a repeater etc. And get a lot of battery's. When teaching you fly through them. ?

Hello all,

Thanks for the advice, especially regarding the apps and tips on learning to fly. I'll get some extra batteries and a multi-port charger, along with a heap of spare props. I love (he will love) the idea of the Iron Man props and guards too. (I actually briefly considered the Iron Man Tello but couldn't justify the extra $70, and though it would be money better spent on extras)

Here's hoping he really likes the Tello. I'm guessing he'll watch a heap of Youtube about it and be able to tell me new tips and hacks within the first few days. ?

Thanks for all your help.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv