Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Node-RED Tello Example flows

I've just followed your GitHub item, and love it. Thanks for taking time to do this.

I'm new to Node-Red, but I found it fairly straight forward to follow. There was one point I got stuck on in Part 7, as I didn't have the base64 node installed, but worked out what to do, and bingo! It works a treat.

Now I just need to work out how to use Node-Red a bit more to do my own stuff :)

Hello @JohnWalicki, i checked your GitHub, and it was amazing!
Thanks for sharing node-red flows for tello.

Can i add video stream on node-red dashboard? Did you try something like this, or do you know anything like that?

@garfienel1 - Glad that you like my GitHub repo of Tello Node-RED flows. I have a flow that listens to the video stream data on UDP port 11111. It receives all the data but I haven't figured out how to decode it yet. I didn't post it because its not really interesting yet.
node-red-tellovideo.png

-- John

Reactions: jjs357
@garfienel1 - Glad that you like my GitHub repo of Tello Node-RED flows. I have a flow that listens to the video stream data on UDP port 11111. It receives all the data but I haven't figured out how to decode it yet. I didn't post it because its not really interesting yet.
View attachment 2478

-- John
You can decode it with ffplay or ffmpeg if these are installed. You would need to send the streamon command to the tello so the stream is enabled and then if you run something like:
Bash:
ffplay -probesize 32 -i udp://@:11111 -framerate 30
In a terminal the video stream is visible.
Would be nice to have the node-red dashboard encapsulate the stream window though.

I've assembled some Node-RED flows that allow you to send commands to the Tello Drone, execute pre-programmed flight plans and display a dashboard. If you've experimented with Node-RED and node, you might want to check these flows out:

johnwalicki/Node-RED-Tello-Control
Looks like the github README's have spots where videos might be inserted. Are there plans to actually have videos there?

I've assembled some Node-RED flows that allow you to send commands to the Tello Drone, execute pre-programmed flight plans and display a dashboard. If you've experimented with Node-RED and node, you might want to check these flows out:

Hi @JohnWalicki and fellow drone enthusiasts!

First of all, I am a beginner in using Node-Red, and am trying to follow your tutorial to take photos with my Tello drone - johnwalicki/Node-RED-Tello-Control

This is what I have done thus far:

1. Imported part4_solution.json to control my Tello drone.
2. Imported part7_solution.json to take picture.

After I launch Node-red, I can control my drone using Tello control dashboard. My problem comes when I i navigate to Tello Camera tab. As you can see in the 2nd image, I am unable to see the camera view from my drone (I initially thought that it might be the drone's camera issue but when I used Tello's phone app, it is working fine).

Appreciate if have any solutions to work around this.

Thanks!

Regards,
D.

Hi John, I am also new to Node-Red. Your tutorial is very straight forward and easy to follow. I have completed all parts and every thing is working perfectly in the Tello dashboard except taking photos? The panel is blank! Any suggestions please? Regards

Hi Magdig - The picture data is transferred over a different UDP port. You need to open that port in your firewall. Depending on your laptop operating system, there are different techniques to open a port. Are you getting telemetry data? I document how here: johnwalicki/Node-RED-Tello-Control

Another possible issue is that you need to power on the Tello, connect to its WiFi and then press the TELLO_LOW_LEVEL_CONNECT to initialize the video stream.

Hi Forum, i open every port in the firewall, i press the TELLO_LOW_LEVEL_CONNECT and nothing hapenned if someone can please help I will me so happy. I have been 2 weeks trying to fix and take pictures with Tello but no. Please help

You can decode it with ffplay or ffmpeg if these are installed. You would need to send the streamon command to the tello so the stream is enabled and then if you run something like:
Bash:
ffplay -probesize 32 -i udp://@:11111 -framerate 30
In a terminal the video stream is visible.
Would be nice to have the node-red dashboard encapsulate the stream window though.
hi forum,i would like to try video stream but i don't get the steps,sorry i am quite new to node red

This is really good, thank you! I put Node-Red on a Pi. I have the wifi on the Pi dedicated to the drone and access the public network via ethernet.

I have Node-RED running in 5 docker containers on the Pi, so students can share one drone. The caveat is receiving data as only one container can bind to the incoming port, but having the ability for all students to code once, only one at a time can test anyway.

Dear All,

First of all, I am a beginner in using Node-Red.
It already took me a little bit of time to understand how to install Node Red installation in Ubuntu OS.

The Node Red seem straight forward......... but I don't think so!!! You need think like a programmer.

If you intent to use the solution by importing them into Node Red then your job will be quite easy.

But if anyone is a beginner!!. You need to know every single box is a string, integer, float, msg or should I use IPV4 or 6 for upd.....................etc. Or how will one beginner know which one need to select a set, a change or a move on payload.tellocmd.

Computer is computer wrong mode selection it give you different output.

I would said is not as straight forward as it seem.

Correct me if I am wrong

Thanks

Best regards,
freq

Hi @JohnWalicki

I also have been trying to take photos using the tello and node-red. drone controls all work. I have been able to stream video using your script. So I have a few questions. I have tried this on a few different computers. 1 on a thinkpad running Buster, 1 on a pi zero running Buster. both have nodjs 10.x I did see where someone mentioned using 8. as far as you getting this working. Are you using nodejs 8.x? I noticed the "take picture command and I did not see this in the SDK". Is this in the updated software. It seams strange that a lot of people are unable to take photos. Seams like we are missing something. No firewall is installed on the machines. Which version of the firmware are you using? I have reviewed the responses on git as well. I have also tried the photo fix, also still is not doing anything. Has this been resolved?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv