Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Poor wifi signal after half a meter

WolfTheThing

Reaction score
I repaired the drone that I had laying down disassembled for a while. I recharged the battery and wanted to fly a bit in my house.
But after literally half a meter, wifi signal is instantly horrible. Any ideas of what the issue could be?

I think it is your phone. I already said that. Try another device

Wysłane z mojego SM-G930F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I mean. Just replacing the board or sending it to ryze and pay $30 or straight up buy a new one

Wysłane z mojego SM-G930F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Are there other powerful wifi sources that could be interfering with it? I mean, a half meter is pretty short space to be having a problem in even with outside interference, but is there another location to fly in? Or can you turn off all other wifi sources closeby? Best of luck!

Jason

sounds like you damaged the connection to at least one of the two wifi antennas (separate wires going to the rear feet where the antennas are located). Somewhere in the forum there are detailed photos and infos about the antennas

If it actually functions properly when close then volate!lo is probably correct and you have bad or shorted connections from the antennae to the board. The fact that you disassembled it is rather telling.PCB pinout.jpg

Here is the antenna itself, I can't put both pictures in the same post. Picture credits to someone else on the forum not me. I merely saved the images for future reference.tello antenna.jpg

If it actually functions properly when close then volate!lo is probably correct and you have bad or shorted connections from the antennae to the board. The fact that you disassembled it is rather telling.View attachment 6631
Yeah, it was disassembled for a 3d model test so I could graduate as long as i remember.

Here is the antenna itself, I can't put both pictures in the same post. Picture credits to someone else on the forum not me. I merely saved the images for future reference.View attachment 6633
So going by the explanation of the 2 antennas, they seem to be redundant. It looks like only one antenna, with the strongest signal, is used. So if one of the antennas fails for some reason, say broken, the other one should be enough, maybe not the best. Is that right, or am I understanding this wrong?

Is that right, or am I understanding this wrong?
Without seeing a circuit diagram I have no idea. If there is a separate RF amp for each then probably, but if it uses a signal combiner feeding a single amp and if one antenna is shorted or open then the impedance matching goes to hell and then who knows! High frequency RF is a bit of a black art and we are talking about a couple of Gigahertz here.

It could even be a blown RF amp. Those frequencies leak all over the place so could easily leak over a blown amp and provide little bit of signal to the rest of the circuitry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv