Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Replaced motor problems

Lou M

Reaction score
After a crash, the rear CCW motor stopped working. I ordered a set of RCGEEK motors. I replaced the bad motor, with the new CCW motor. I did not run the wires to the mother board. I cut the wires from the mother board, in the middle of the motor arm (strut?), then cut and soldered the wires from the new motor. The tello took off and seemed to fly fine. But now, the battery dropped from 98% to about 60% in about a minute. Then down to 10% in about 6 more minutes.Total time was about 7 minutes. It used to fly for about 11-12 minutes.I also noticed that the Tello was bobbing up and down while hovering and it also slowly yawed to the right about 90 deg during that time. Neither one of these happened before. The new motor was also a lot hotter than the original 3. I tried replacing the motor with the other new CCW one, replaced all 4 props with new Tello props, installed a fully charged battery and did IMU and gravity cals, same issues. Could the problems be caused by soldering the wires? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Could the problems be caused by soldering the wires?
No. Probably the motors are not entirely equivalent to the previous ones. The hotter motor might be a sign of this. I see RCGEEKS does not actually list motors for Tello - which ones did you get?

I've got a set of these of motors off Amazon as spares in case of need, but I haven't actually tried them yet so I don't know if they are any good - but they're cheap!

No. Probably the motors are not entirely equivalent to the previous ones. The hotter motor might be a sign of this. I see RCGEEKS does not actually list motors for Tello - which ones did you get?

I've got a set of these of motors off Amazon as spares in case of need, but I haven't actually tried them yet so I don't know if they are any good - but they're cheap!
Thanks for replying.These are the motors that I bought. They say they are for the Tello. A lot of good reviews, but one review does mention that the motor gets hot. While looking for motors, I noticed that a lot of them have different specs (Load/No Load RPMs and Current).Does anyone know the specs of the original motors? Has anyone used these RCGEEK motors? Thanks.

Amazon.com: RCGEEK Drone 8520 Motors Coreless CW CCW Motor Compatible with DJI Ryze Tello 720P Camera WiFi FPV RC Quadcopter, 2 Pairs: Toys & Games

Thanks for replying.These are the motors that I bought. They say they are for the Tello. A lot of good reviews, but one review does mention that the motor gets hot. While looking for motors, I noticed that a lot of them have different specs (Load/No Load RPMs and Current).Does anyone know the specs of the original motors? Has anyone used these RCGEEK motors? Thanks.

Amazon.com: RCGEEK Drone 8520 Motors Coreless CW CCW Motor Compatible with DJI Ryze Tello 720P Camera WiFi FPV RC Quadcopter, 2 Pairs: Toys & Games
This is what Ryze says about his original motors.

Thanks for reaching Ryze Support!

We appreciate your inquiry, Though, we can only provide a handful information due to confidential information from our developer. The motor model is an 8250 Coreless, KV is 12400 rpm/V, and the speed of the motor when hovering is 15000 rpm. As the motor's diameter is 8.5 mm and wheelbase is 118 mm. the diameter of the shaft connected to the propeller and motor is about 1 mm.

Hope this helps.

This is what Ryze says about his original motors.

Thanks for reaching Ryze Support!

We appreciate your inquiry, Though, we can only provide a handful information due to confidential information from our developer. The motor model is an 8250 Coreless, KV is 12400 rpm/V, and the speed of the motor when hovering is 15000 rpm. As the motor's diameter is 8.5 mm and wheelbase is 118 mm. the diameter of the shaft connected to the propeller and motor is about 1 mm.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for that information. Reading a few more TelloPilot posts, it looks like an important spec is the motor should be 15000 KV. The RCGEEK motors didn't give that spec. One poster mentioned that He/She replaced a bad motor and then the flight time went from 10 minutes down to 5 or 6. H/S said that the motor was too powerful and was draining the battery. H/S bought new motors rated for 15000 KV and now the Tello is back to 10 minute flight time. I'm now looking at a few motors rated for 15000 KV. Maybe that also explains why my Tello was yawing to the right while hovering, the rear CCW motor might have been spinning faster than the others??? Thanks again.

Reactions: Flydrone
Thank you for that information. Reading a few more TelloPilot posts, it looks like an important spec is the motor should be 15000 KV. The RCGEEK motors didn't give that spec. One poster mentioned that He/She replaced a bad motor and then the flight time went from 10 minutes down to 5 or 6. H/S said that the motor was too powerful and was draining the battery. H/S bought new motors rated for 15000 KV and now the Tello is back to 10 minute flight time. I'm now looking at a few motors rated for 15000 KV. Maybe that also explains why my Tello was yawing to the right while hovering, the rear CCW motor might have been spinning faster than the others??? Thanks again.
I bought 8 motors on Banggood with this specification, but I still have to test it on tello.
I'm afraid these too are too powerful.
I'm waiting for an email from Ryze's technical department for a response on this type of engine. the originals said they are not available except in their assistance.

Description:

Motor diameter: 8.5mm

Motor length: 20mm

Axial distances: 0.05-0.3mm

Weight: about 5.5g

Rated voltage: 2.1V DC

Voltage range Operation: 1.5-4.2V DC

Rated Speed: 28000 ± 10% RPM

Rated Current: 200mA Max

Rated Load: 20 500 ± 6% RPM

Rated Load Current: 2.7 ± 0.25A

Initial Voltage: 0.8VDC (MAX)

Insulation Resistance: 5 MΩ (MIN)

Direction of rotation: CW and CCW

Motor position: all position

Working environment: -20 ℃ -60 ℃, ORDINARY HUMIDITY / 10-90% relative humidity

Temperature: 20 ± 2 ℃

Humidity: (65 ± 5%) RH

I bought 8 motors on Banggood with this specification, but I still have to test it on tello.
I'm afraid these too are too powerful.
I'm waiting for an email from Ryze's technical department for a response on this type of engine. the originals said they are not available except in their assistance.

Description:

Motor diameter: 8.5mm

Motor length: 20mm

Axial distances: 0.05-0.3mm

Weight: about 5.5g

Rated voltage: 2.1V DC

Voltage range Operation: 1.5-4.2V DC

Rated Speed: 28000 ± 10% RPM

Rated Current: 200mA Max

Rated Load: 20 500 ± 6% RPM

Rated Load Current: 2.7 ± 0.25A

Initial Voltage: 0.8VDC (MAX)

Insulation Resistance: 5 MΩ (MIN)

Direction of rotation: CW and CCW

Motor position: all position

Working environment: -20 ℃ -60 ℃, ORDINARY HUMIDITY / 10-90% relative humidity

Temperature: 20 ± 2 ℃

Humidity: (65 ± 5%) RH
Have you heard back from Ryze? Have you tried using any of these motors yet? I emailed the seller of the RCGEEK motors, that I tried. They said that the kv is not the same as the original Tello motors. That's why the flight time is less and the motor gets hot. Even though they say that they are compatible with the Tello. They refunded my money. I also contacted another seller, MakerFire, about their motors. They are advertised as 15000kv and say that they are for the Tello. Their reply was "Can't match, because the motor parameters are different, the kv value is different, thank you". So I'm still looking.

unfortunately I have not had more response from Ryze ... on the tello I still have the original engines and I still have to try the purchased ones.
Banggood has good reviews of these engines, you could try. these are from 13000KV

[8,56€ 23% OFF]2Pcs 8520 8.5x20MM 28000 RPM 2.1 V DC motore coreless spazzolato CW e CCW 71mm / 87mm per DJI Ryze TELLO Drone Parti RC from Giocattoli Hobby e robot on banggood https://banggood.app.link/mCyuIb3IIab
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at these motors. They seem to be the same as the ones at Banggood.

I also got the RCGEEK 4-pack motors that said for Tello. I did not find this thread before just now posting my own.
I replaced only one blue/white motor and using same wire/wire soldering method. Blue to blue, white to white.
Put all back together and now that new motor spins as soon as I put the battery in. Spins up what seems like full power.
Wondered why they were only $12 for a 4-pack. Ugh. I miss my Tello!!

I also got the RCGEEK 4-pack motors that said for Tello. I did not find this thread before just now posting my own.
I replaced only one blue/white motor and using same wire/wire soldering method. Blue to blue, white to white.
Put all back together and now that new motor spins as soon as I put the battery in. Spins up what seems like full power.
Wondered why they were only $12 for a 4-pack. Ugh. I miss my Tello!!
I have about ten spare motors for tello ... taken from Banggood, but I still have to test this type of motors.
if you take these, let me know how they go. thank you.

I have about ten spare motors for tello ... taken from Banggood, but I still have to test this type of motors.
if you take these, let me know how they go. thank you.
Well... don't know yet! It spins nicely...but it does that just by putting the battery in!!! :) THAT is my issue right now.
Going to take apart again tonight and make sure all is good. Just weird that it spins up by putting the battery in. And spins up full speed! 100% as soon as the battery is inserted. Weird.

Thanks!

It spins nicely...but it does that just by putting the battery in

I've changed one motor on the tello and it's flights are a lil crazy since doing so I think this is because the motors aren't alike but instead of getting a new alike motor can I change all 4?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipp.weisser@ksehingen